NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby tmon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 pm

D-hops wrote:renting from individual Condo owners has its benefits.

If you can find it, this is far and away the best option. Going on my second year here and and my second place leased directly from a condo owner. It can be a sweet situation, assuming the owner isn't a tool.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Oh, additional comments:

If the turnout for people with high numbers (ie basilseal and elib) applying ED is lower than expected, I think NU will simply admit fewer people ED (rather than giving full rides to people with lower stats). Then, they will continue to offer full rides to people applying with good numbers RD, as they do in normal cycles.

If the turnout for people with high numbers applying ED is HIGHER than expected, I think the RD cycle will be much more competitive for everyone, BUT only in the sense that splitters who would normally get in will see more WL action. If the high-numbered people who are turned down for a full scholarship decide not to enroll with NU, splitters will still see love. If they decide to matriculate even without the $150K scholly, splitters will probably get shafted.
soj wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:And, soj--the next time we're both in Chicago, we are DEFINITELY going to boystown. (:!!!

:D we need to get in already!

+1928395234. :P Are the UChi and NU ASW's on the same weekend? If so, that would be AWESOME. :D :D

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
egirarde wrote:Anyone know how many people NU normally accepts ED? Is it even possible to admit the same number of people and offer them all $150k? I know the endowment's large, but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think I'm screwed.

FWIW, this is what I think will happen:

NU will admit the same # of people they typically offer full rides via ED

They will reject the people they're not interested in.

Splitters & people who would usually get in ED will be held for RD and then either WL, A, or R. People with full-ride-worthy stats applying RD will be accepted without a full-ride (but possibly with some money). Depending on the turnout for the ED applicants, this may/may not be more competitive than the normal ED process and RD process for splitters.

What were your numbers again, e?


3.21/166 AA male... Really not sure how to read my chances on this one... And by that, I mean scholly or admission. :lol:
Last edited by JustE on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby soj » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm not sure if they coincide, but I'm sure they each have multiple ASWs so I'm hoping there's at least one coincidence!

I hope this year UVA and Michigan decide to dip below their usual GPA floor, forcing NU to give $ to extreme splitters they used to take for granted. Probably too optimistic, but it's a comforting thought.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:34 pm

soj wrote:I'm not sure if they coincide, but I'm sure they each have multiple ASWs so I'm hoping there's at least one coincidence!

I hope this year UVA and Michigan decide to dip below their usual GPA floor, forcing NU to give $ to extreme splitters they used to take for granted. Probably too optimistic, but it's a comforting thought.

<3 you for this hope, mainly because I know that you don't need that boost at all but you're just looking out for us splitters. <3 :mrgreen: I definitely +1 that hope, though it's for decidedly selfish reasons :lol:

User avatar
catmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby catmo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:45 pm

So my status date is still 11/3/11 (the day I went complete). Has anyone seen status date movement?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:49 pm

catmo wrote:So my status date is still 11/3/11 (the day I went complete). Has anyone seen status date movement?

Nope. Not a bit.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

As far as we know, catmo, they've only been reading applications for 3 days or so. I'm sure it'll take them some time to get back to us, unfortunately. Don't worry though, no movement is definitely normal at this point. :D

User avatar
Boston_NYG2245
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:57 pm

catmo wrote:So my status date is still 11/3/11 (the day I went complete). Has anyone seen status date movement?


I think the complete date is the same as under review (at least that's what the sentence at the top of the page on my status check implies) I went complete/UR late November and it says 6-8 weeks before a decision, so I wouldn't start sweating it yet, especially since it doesn't seem like any decisions have come out yet.

Jewel628
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby Jewel628 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:01 pm

My date did change. Original complete date was 11/15 and it changed on 11/28. Reverse Splitter.

User avatar
catmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby catmo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Sigh. There seem to be no loopholes in this. Not even a status date change breadcrumb.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

catmo wrote:Sigh. There seem to be no loopholes in this. Not even a status date change breadcrumb.

I know. It's frustrating to see other schools handing out decisions already when we don't really have anything to go off yet. Once decisions start coming out though, I expect this thread to be a shitshow (of awesomeness, naturally :mrgreen: )

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:JDizzle--did you clear your alt with the mods? I assume so but I just wanted to ask because otherwise you might get banned for alting because they don't know that you're not trying to be an alt-troll or something :lol:

And, soj--the next time we're both in Chicago, we are DEFINITELY going to boystown. (:!!!

Thanks for the heads up. I did not clear it with mods... should I just PM any of them?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

A shitshow of awesomeness... I must say, I do approve...

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:JDizzle--did you clear your alt with the mods? I assume so but I just wanted to ask because otherwise you might get banned for alting because they don't know that you're not trying to be an alt-troll or something :lol:

And, soj--the next time we're both in Chicago, we are DEFINITELY going to boystown. (:!!!

Thanks for the heads up. I did not clear it with mods... should I just PM any of them?

If you have any mod in particular that you have a relationship with, you should PM them. Otherwise, any of them will do. As a warning, they might not be happy with the alting, because they try and patrol that a lot, but I think they should be fine with it since you're telling them and you've already done it. Usually they don't allow alts or name changes unless the previous name was particularly revealing (ie, [firstinitial][lastname] or [firstname][school]).

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:57 pm

My stalking abilities have informed me that basil just got a KB1. I don't really want to tag the Harvard thread, so I'm asking him here--does this mean he's not going to be interested in NU anymore? ):

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:My stalking abilities have informed me that basil just got a KB1. I don't really want to tag the Harvard thread, so I'm asking him here--does this mean he's not going to be interested in NU anymore? ):

Did he ED? :lol:

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:01 pm

egirarde wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:My stalking abilities have informed me that basil just got a KB1. I don't really want to tag the Harvard thread, so I'm asking him here--does this mean he's not going to be interested in NU anymore? ):

Did he ED? :lol:

I think so...but if he gets a KB2 before getting into NU, he might withdraw, right?

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby elibrarian » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
egirarde wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:My stalking abilities have informed me that basil just got a KB1. I don't really want to tag the Harvard thread, so I'm asking him here--does this mean he's not going to be interested in NU anymore? ):

Did he ED? :lol:

I think so...but if he gets a KB2 before getting into NU, he might withdraw, right?


He did ED. Also I hope his Chicago love is stronger than the lure of Harvard.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:05 pm

elibrarian wrote:He did ED. Also I hope his Chicago love is stronger than the lure of Harvard.

Me too!! :mrgreen: (Same with you when you get your KB1 ;) )

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:06 pm

elibrarian wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
egirarde wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:My stalking abilities have informed me that basil just got a KB1. I don't really want to tag the Harvard thread, so I'm asking him here--does this mean he's not going to be interested in NU anymore? ):

Did he ED? :lol:

I think so...but if he gets a KB2 before getting into NU, he might withdraw, right?


He did ED. Also I hope his Chicago love is stronger than the lure of Harvard.


Good point. Didn't think about withdrawing...

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby elibrarian » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
elibrarian wrote:He did ED. Also I hope his Chicago love is stronger than the lure of Harvard.

Me too!! :mrgreen: (Same with you when you get your KB1 ;) )


Haha that is very unlikely. NU has always been and will always be my first choice, Harvard be damned.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

elibrarian wrote:Haha that is very unlikely. NU has always been and will always be my first choice, Harvard be damned.

Now if that doesn't make Johann swoon and auto-admit you, I don't know WHAT will!!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby JustE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 pm

elibrarian wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
elibrarian wrote:He did ED. Also I hope his Chicago love is stronger than the lure of Harvard.

Me too!! :mrgreen: (Same with you when you get your KB1 ;) )


Haha that is very unlikely. NU has always been and will always be my first choice, Harvard be damned.

That's love...

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby basilseal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

:lol: Talk about first world problems.

All joking aside, I'd be incredibly pleased with going into crushing debt for Harvard or emerging scot-free from NU. It's the kind of dilemma I'd love to have, and I'm hardly going to be kicking myself if I somehow get both, as unlikely as I think that is.

My Chicago love remains strong. :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”