University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ThreeRivers

Silver

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Just some info someone in private message offered me / at the end stated I could post it in here, but without their name

I figured it could be of use to individuals confused on housing (like I am)
There are several neighborhoods in MPLS that are worth looking into. Dinkytown is the area around the U and the closest neighborhood. This might be your best bet. Northeast is presently in the middle of gentrification. This is the new artists district and probably your best bet if you're looking for a good trade off between things to do and cost.

Finally there is Uptown. Uptown is a very love-it-or-hate-it neighborhood I think. There are tons of great bars and opportunities to go out. You're also likely to find something reasonably priced. That said, you do need to cross the river so commuting by bus takes a bit longer. You'll also be surrounded by a mixture of Yuppies and hipsters.

I'd check out those neighborhoods and see what feels best. As a native I have the impression (true or not) that Dinkytown is more inhabited by undergrads and that the majority of grad students live in Uptown or Midway. I'd avoid Midway.

Hope this helps!

fsuitw

New

Post by fsuitw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Any insight on what it's like taking public transportation/walking during the winter when you're living in a not so close neighborhood like Como? Is it very difficult to get across the river (I mean you could probably just ice skate across it in the winter). Dinkytown and uptown seem pretty pricey. Any good housing search tools? I've only been using Craigslist, and have seen a few promising things, but I feel like I could be missing a pretty good chunk. One more question, has anybody been granted Minnesota residency with a non-traditional set of circumstances. In my instance I worked in Minnesota from February to July of last year and continue working for a fairly notable company in the state. None of that is within their guidelines, but it would be nice to hear about a success story where the residency department does not follow their own rules exactly.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Lots of students live in Como so I know it can be done- don't know about its popularity with law students, though. Como and Marcy Holmes have a reputation of being fairly high crime compared to dinkytown and stadium village.

Dinkytown and to a lesser extent Uptown aren't that pricey. Though I guess it depends on how nice a place you're looking for. I have friends living in houses in dinkytown paying around $350/month, and others living in apartments paying closer to $800. I wouldn't say that the former live in terrible places but there is obviously going to be a difference in quality depending on how much you're paying.

I've never used the metrotransit myself but nearly everyone I know does. I think it functions very well. There is also a university bus system that moves between the two banks of the Mississippi and the St. Paul campus. It does not reach into the northern neighborhoods.

If you're driving, you might also want to consider living in St. Paul closer to the University of St. Thomas, there are some very nice neighborhoods over there for prices similar to what you'll find in dinkytown. The drive is comparable to what you'd face coming from uptown.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 am

This thread hasn't seen much action lately. I was wondering if Minnesota sent out another round of acceptance calls yet. I sent my app in December and my UR date hasn't changed from 1/31/12. All my other schools have updated their checkers since.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am

wlee1220 wrote:This thread hasn't seen much action lately. I was wondering if Minnesota sent out another round of acceptance calls yet. I sent my app in December and my UR date hasn't changed from 1/31/12. All my other schools have updated their checkers since.
You'll find that UMN and many schools go into a holding pattern now... waiting to see how deposits trickle in before their deadlines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sf88

New

Post by sf88 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I've already been accepted at Cornell and UCLA. However, UCLA hasn't mentioned any scholly money and I doubt I will get anything from Cornell. University of Minnesota has been emailing me with reminders about my fee waiver. I've been thinking about applying just to see if I could get some scholarship money to use as leverage. Even though a lot of people on TLS say that you need acceptances+money from peer schools to negotiate, I've heard that it's worth a shot anyways.

Is it worth it to blow 16 bucks (1) this late in the cycle and (2) with numbers that really aren't spectacular (168/3.65)? Or is this a terrible idea? I know that schools often send waivers just to increase their selectivity ratings, so let me know if this is the case.

Thanks!

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:This thread hasn't seen much action lately. I was wondering if Minnesota sent out another round of acceptance calls yet. I sent my app in December and my UR date hasn't changed from 1/31/12. All my other schools have updated their checkers since.
You'll find that UMN and many schools go into a holding pattern now... waiting to see how deposits trickle in before their deadlines.
I was wondering about that. I just hope that they get discouraged waiting and send out more decisions soon.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 pm

For people looking at hotels to visit, I saw this: http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-m-mille ... .nonhd0001

It is too far for me, since I won't have a car. (It is a 40 minute walk and 25-30 minutes by public transit.) The deal looks great, though, especially considering it include breakfast, parking, etc. It expires tonight, though!

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 am

sf88 wrote:Hey everyone,

I've already been accepted at Cornell and UCLA. However, UCLA hasn't mentioned any scholly money and I doubt I will get anything from Cornell. University of Minnesota has been emailing me with reminders about my fee waiver. I've been thinking about applying just to see if I could get some scholarship money to use as leverage. Even though a lot of people on TLS say that you need acceptances+money from peer schools to negotiate, I've heard that it's worth a shot anyways.

Is it worth it to blow 16 bucks (1) this late in the cycle and (2) with numbers that really aren't spectacular (168/3.65)? Or is this a terrible idea? I know that schools often send waivers just to increase their selectivity ratings, so let me know if this is the case.

Thanks!
At this stage of the game? Below median GPA and only 1 point above the LSAT median? Probably not. Not to mention, you just publicly stated your intent. At any rate - you wouldn't be able to use UMN to negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sf88

New

Post by sf88 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 am

MidwestJosh wrote:
sf88 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks!
At this stage of the game? Below median GPA and only 1 point above the LSAT median? Probably not. Not to mention, you just publicly stated your intent. At any rate - you wouldn't be able to use UMN to negotiate.
I figured as much. The fee waiver gave me hope! I have a science background, but I know that adcomms really don't care. Oh well, thanks for your input.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:39 am

sf88 wrote:to
FWIW I received the same fee waiver, with numbers worse than yours. I still applied though. It can't hurt, can it? And perhaps they really like you and throw money at you. Never know unless you try.

umarzulqarnain

New

Post by umarzulqarnain » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 am

Damn it. Minnesota declined my request for a scholy.
Let's hope number two on the list (WUSTL) offers something!

badabing85

New

Post by badabing85 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Status updated to today: 1/31 Complete; 2/3 UR; 2/20 UR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

badabing85 wrote:Status updated to today: 1/31 Complete; 2/3 UR; 2/20 UR
+1... Same exact dates

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 am

Does anyone know if we have to do anything beforehand to receive travel reimbursements for ASW? The only other school that I am visiting I had to send an e-mail before asking that I be placed on a list. Is there anything like that at UMN or do I just show up with my receipts?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Does anyone know if we have to do anything beforehand to receive travel reimbursements for ASW? The only other school that I am visiting I had to send an e-mail before asking that I be placed on a list. Is there anything like that at UMN or do I just show up with my receipts?
Did you get the form they sent?

A big concern of mine (perhaps silly) are the facilities. How much of a joykill are the classrooms and library? I know I shouldn't care about the aesthetics of the place but I'm one of those people that have to have the right environment for studying. Does it really suck aesthetically?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Jaeger wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Does anyone know if we have to do anything beforehand to receive travel reimbursements for ASW? The only other school that I am visiting I had to send an e-mail before asking that I be placed on a list. Is there anything like that at UMN or do I just show up with my receipts?

A big concern of mine (perhaps silly) are the facilities. How much of a joykill are the classrooms and library? I know I shouldn't care about the aesthetics of the place but I'm one of those people that have to have the right environment for studying. Does it really suck aesthetically?
Some people hate it (just read Danielpi's thread) so if this is a major concern you should definitely visit the school and see it for yourself- with and without a tour.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 pm

minnbills wrote:
Jaeger wrote:

Some people hate it (just read Danielpi's thread) so if this is a major concern you should definitely visit the school and see it for yourself- with and without a tour.
this has to be the silliest concern ever. for multiple reasons. 1.) our facilities are perfectly fine. In fact, compared to the majority of other law schools, I'd say UMN's are better. 2.) if this is a top priority, you have a lot of thinking to do about why you're going to law school.

I remember visiting BU and HATING their building; yet, I loved the school (obviously not quite as much UMN) Similarly, I remember visiting Georgetown and LOVING their building; yet, I hated the school. Come on, folks.

At any rate - he's right. Visit yourself. I'll bet you coffee that you'll find the building to be a pleasant surprise. And since you'll all see me at ASW - you can call me out on that if you disagree. ;-)

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 pm

I'll be visiting the campus on friday, pretty excited to see the school. I think my decision is down to Wustl, Minn, and Wisconsin (if they ever get around to accepting me). How does the none ASW campus tours normally work MidwestJosh?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Jaeger wrote:

Just looked.. yea it was in acceptance packet, totally forgot about it lol

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Another Silly question... does Minn require anything but FASFA to fill out for financial aid? (Example... for BU I had to fill out Need Access as well)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 am

MidwestJosh wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Jaeger wrote:

this has to be the silliest concern ever. for multiple reasons. 1.) our facilities are perfectly fine. In fact, compared to the majority of other law schools, I'd say UMN's are better. 2.) if this is a top priority, you have a lot of thinking to do about why you're going to law school.

I remember visiting BU and HATING their building; yet, I loved the school (obviously not quite as much UMN) Similarly, I remember visiting Georgetown and LOVING their building; yet, I hated the school. Come on, folks.

At any rate - he's right. Visit yourself. I'll bet you coffee that you'll find the building to be a pleasant surprise. And since you'll all see me at ASW - you can call me out on that if you disagree. ;-)
As I said, I'm well aware it's a silly concern. Perhaps I overstated it when I said "big concern". However, it's as pertinent to me as a lot of other soft factors. I will be spending three years of my life there, I'd like to mitigate the dreariness of law school as much as possible. In any case, I will certainly hold you accountable if I find the facilities a dungeon...and I will want Dunn Brothers.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Another Silly question... does Minn require anything but FASFA to fill out for financial aid? (Example... for BU I had to fill out Need Access as well)
Nope.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 am

Jaeger wrote:...and I will want Dunn Brothers.
and for that, I judge you. ;-) Caribou is much better!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 am

MidwestJosh wrote:
Jaeger wrote:...and I will want Dunn Brothers.
and for that, I judge you. ;-) Caribou is much better!

Tomato tomahto...in truth I don't have a preference...beer that's another story. And one reason I appreciate UMN's offer. I dig the MN microbrews.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”