Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 pm

ladybug89 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:I think LSAC should limit the number of times you can preview your application. I hate how everything that seemed decent turns to crap just before submission - I literally spent 15 minutes wrestling over whether to say "in" or "on" something in my 250 this morning. Then, sanity resumed, and I realized that the difference between me getting in was probably not going to come down to a single letter. Sigh. Submitted.
This. And then I get paranoid that by focusing on little-little things I'm going to miss something bigger. ugh.

Oh This. I just decided to submit and get it over and done with. Submitted! Now the waiting begins.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:What are people with significant employment after college planning to do here? I guess the options are: (a) to add a resume - with a lot of repitition; or (b) list the work experience as an "activity in or out of school or work that you consider relevant" on the acitivities and work attachment. Thoughts?
Someone PMed me the answer to this question!

The description for the "Academic Interruption" attachment makes it quite clear that Yale wants all post-college WE described there.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:15 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:What are people with significant employment after college planning to do here? I guess the options are: (a) to add a resume - with a lot of repitition; or (b) list the work experience as an "activity in or out of school or work that you consider relevant" on the acitivities and work attachment. Thoughts?

The description for the "Academic Interruption" attachment makes it quite clear that Yale wants all post-college WE described there.
Ah, I see now why the legal job market is so bad. Work is considered just a lowly 'academic interruption' (possibly before one re-applies for an LLM or PhD).

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm

jim-green wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Ah, I see now why the legal job market is so bad. Work is considered just a lowly 'academic interruption' (possibly before one re-applies for an LLM or PhD).
haha...well Yale can do whatever the f*** it wants because it's Yale...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm

A couple questions on how I dealt with the resume/activities and work sections via Pm, thought'd I answer here to add my choices to the general conversation on what could/should/has been done.

1) I did decide to both fill out the addendum as instructed and submit a 1 page resume for two reasons - a) to include a "summary" type form at the end of the application with the pieces split over the application put together (ie. advanced degrees with recognized dissertations, most prestigious awards, then just my most impressive titles held in work experience) and b) I had a "personal" section on my original resume that had a few interesting recognitions/participation in events that don't fit well into standard breakdowns of activities or awards and I didn't want to exclude them, think "fun facts" (ie. my undergrad dissertation was recognized by an dissident and intellectual who has been on house arrest for many years for activities pertaining to its topic, a sporting event, and then a purely personal fact). My reasoning is that if they didn't want something you felt it was applicable, there would be no need for a code as they would just not ask for or leave a place for it. I did keep it to one page though and tried not to be terribly repetitive with content

2) I interpreted the section on "activities and work" in this way:

a) Activities that I participated in outside of work and academics - I didn't put every little volunteer activity because I've been out awhile, but I could see someone wanting to do that if they were younger.. I included here any unpaid internships, athletics, etc.

b) Work experience that I had while actively enrolled in any of my degrees, since it merely says "college" and not "undergraduate" studies - so any actual paid jobs (though I didn't put a server job at a restaurant I could have I suppose, but these things slip my mind and probably aren't going to matter) and any paid TA or research positions. I put my work/study my freshman year.

c) I put work experience I had while not actively enrolled. It was a little disjointed since both positions were between undergrad and going back for advanced degrees, so they were literally taken from the middle of my work experience since I've held other positions while doing my masters and PhD. This is how I interpreted the questions though I think it would have been just as "acceptable" to just put undergrad jobs in b and put all other work since in (c). Could go either way and don't think it matters too much either way.

I did elaborate on my work experience where necessary (not all), though it does just say list, which could have been done as a pure list, then elaboration in a resume as necessary. Either/or seems reasonable IMO.

As for an academic disruption addendum, I used the same one I used on all my other apps, just explaining the brief leave I took from my Phd for work reasons. I didn't elaborate my break between undergrad - grad degrees. Its plain that I worked full time in my work experience section. Shrugs - I guess I could have added one sentence to the addendum saying, "I also took a year and one half off between my undergraduate and graduate education to work full-time on XXXX and XXXX." I would have left it at that one sentence had I thought about it.

Anyhow, those were my choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Curious1 wrote:
haha...well Yale can do whatever the f*** it wants because it's Yale...

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 pm

In listing extracurriculars, did you guys include a description? It doesn't say so specifically apart from time commitment, but I'm inclined to...

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:28 pm

annyong wrote:In listing extracurriculars, did you guys include a description? It doesn't say so specifically apart from time commitment, but I'm inclined to...
I listed most of my activities. However, for ones which I really wanted to highlight I gave a brief description. One of my activities was the subject of my PS and another the subject of my 250 so I didn't highlight them as much on the resume.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Just submitted! Here we go!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:45 pm

So, is there a consensus that a Why Yale? is a waste of time, even if you've done an on-campus visit? I remember Asha saying something about how the professors reading your application already know how awesome their classes are--they teach them! That was about the PS, I'm pretty sure, but I'd imagine it applies to a Why Yale? as well. What do you all think?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Don't write a Why Yale. Just write your 250 and PS.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:So, is there a consensus that a Why Yale is a waste of time, even if you've done an on-campus visit? I remember Asha saying something about how the professors reading your application already know how awesome their classes are--they teach them! That was about the PS, I'm pretty sure, but I'd imagine it applies to a Why Yale? as well. What do you all think?
Do not write a Why Yale? They know they're the best of the best. You need to ask yourself what you can do for Yale, not what Yale can do for you. See what I did there?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:
annyong wrote:In listing extracurriculars, did you guys include a description? It doesn't say so specifically apart from time commitment, but I'm inclined to...
I listed most of my activities. However, for ones which I really wanted to highlight I gave a brief description. One of my activities was the subject of my PS and another the subject of my 250 so I didn't highlight them as much on the resume.
Yeah I decided to include descriptions when I wanted to highlight beyond what it says on my resume. I figure if they don't want to read it twice they can just skip over it when they get to the resume, the instructions were vague so I hope I'm following directions :?

Edit: Submitted! *hail mary pass*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:01 pm

What did you guys write your 250s about? I haven't even started mine because I don't know where to start. Sigh.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm

freestallion wrote:What did you guys write your 250s about? I haven't even started mine because I don't know where to start. Sigh.
Write about your free stallion.

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

why are there a plethora of ps's to look at and critique but almost no 250's out there? aside for the fact that only yale requires. there are still hundreds of people applying. are people more possessive over them?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
freestallion wrote:What did you guys write your 250s about? I haven't even started mine because I don't know where to start. Sigh.
Write about your free stallion.
Only if you write about Sweeney Todd.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm

ill be bold enough to post a rough draft

Balancing emotion with logic is something I struggle with. While my emotions are what make me who I am and give me direction in life, my intellect is what enables me to make the correct decisions in how I get there. Whenever I find it difficult to disregard my feelings in favor of the logical choice, I think of the old lady from my neighborhood. Mrs. S. never threw out milk. She would even drink sour milk so as not to waste it. She did this because she felt that if she would dispose of it she would be losing the money she paid for it. Although I was originally shocked by this, I realized that to an extent we all engage in this behavior. We may buy one slice of pizza too many and eat it so as not to lose the money we paid for it. In actuality, once we no longer want that slice, it has lost the value it had when we bought it. In fact, had we not bought that slice, one would have to pay us to eat it now. So although eating this slice has a negative value, we eat it because if we throw it out, our emotions will make us feel as if we are wasting money. This is but one example of how our pathos can lead us to irrational behavior. Being cognizant of this tendency has enabled me to make decisions for the right reasons.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

yoiav wrote:ill be bold enough to post a rough draft

Balancing emotion with logic is something I struggle with. While my emotions are what make me who I am and give me direction in life, my intellect is what enables me to make the correct decisions in how I get there. Whenever I find it difficult to disregard my feelings in favor of the logical choice, I think of the old lady from my neighborhood. Mrs. S. never threw out milk. She would even drink sour milk so as not to waste it. She did this because she felt that if she would dispose of it she would be losing the money she paid for it. Although I was originally shocked by this, I realized that to an extent we all engage in this behavior. We may buy one slice of pizza too many and eat it so as not to lose the money we paid for it. In actuality, once we no longer want that slice, it has lost the value it had when we bought it. In fact, had we not bought that slice, one would have to pay us to eat it now. So although eating this slice has a negative value, we eat it because if we throw it out, our emotions will make us feel as if we are wasting money. This is but one example of how our pathos can lead us to irrational behavior. Being cognizant of this tendency has enabled me to make decisions for the right reasons.
Very philosophical.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Don't write a Why Yale. Just write your 250 and PS.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm

yoiav wrote:why are there a plethora of ps's to look at and critique but almost no 250's out there? aside for the fact that only yale requires. there are still hundreds of people applying. are people more possessive over them?
I won't post mine (yet, anyway), but I ended up writing a humorous piece about Kansas. I went through several topics, ultimately deciding that this topic provided something nothing else in my application did. My PS was academic, as are my softs, so this was a way to get across something of my history and personality.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm

kulshan wrote:
yoiav wrote:why are there a plethora of ps's to look at and critique but almost no 250's out there? aside for the fact that only yale requires. there are still hundreds of people applying. are people more possessive over them?
I won't post mine (yet, anyway), but I ended up writing a humorous piece about Kansas. I went through several topics, ultimately deciding that this topic provided something nothing else in my application did. My PS was academic, as are my softs, so this was a way to get across something of my history and personality.
Did you include Dorothy?

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 pm

jim-green wrote:
kulshan wrote:
Did you include Dorothy?
Just for that, I'll post the first three sentences...
It is apparently impossible not to make a Wizard of Oz joke upon meeting someone from Kansas. The brain goes to work immediately, scanning for some information about Kansas to mention. “Oh! I know,” says the brain, “Wizard of Oz!”

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Submitted to Yale.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, I don't feel like posting mine publicly until after a decision, and maybe even not then since it's kinda personal, I think a lot of people feel the same way.

I felt my PS was about my academic background/desire to go into law, so I used my 250 to show some more aspects of my background and demonstrate writing skill. As a suggestion, one thing that I did was write several 250s - it's not a lot of writing, so I tried out a few different topics and one stuck, for better or worse.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”