Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EMZE

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by EMZE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Do the recent Reserves mind sharing their stats? I'm curious to see what this new batch of decisions looks like. If EDers are getting reserved, what does that say about the rest of us? :shock:
LSAT Below 25% by 3/ GPA Below 25% by .2, non-URM, non-trad.

Stats are deceptive in my case though, at least in that my softs got me in to B and G out of T14, and wl/hold almost everywhere else.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm

EMZE wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Do the recent Reserves mind sharing their stats? I'm curious to see what this new batch of decisions looks like. If EDers are getting reserved, what does that say about the rest of us? :shock:
LSAT Below 25% by 3/ GPA Below 25% by .2, non-URM, non-trad.

Stats are deceptive in my case though, at least in that my softs got me in to B and G out of T14, and wl/hold almost everywhere else.
Don't worry bro I remember your situation =). Sorry to hear about the Reserve, good luck with everything else!

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Any opinions about whether people reserved at the end are in the same boat as people reserved early on? Do they start reviewing us in May from scratch? I assume a dart board plays a major role in the process.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:46 pm

From their notification letter I would assume it probably makes no difference. It seems like they consolidate all of their confirmed admits attending vs. those declining, get a revised picture of their current class, and then re-review those reserved. I don't think time matters.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Just in case anyone is curious about the content of the email:

Dear EMZE,

We wish to inform you that, after careful deliberation, our Admissions Committee has decided to postpone making a final decision on your candidacy, and we are placing your application in our Reserve group. Because we are uncertain regarding the plans of some applicants whom we have already admitted, it is necessary for us to postpone making a determination on your application until the end of May, when we will begin reviewing those candidates on Reserve and offering some admission to our 2012 entering class.

During this admissions season, we anticipate that, altogether, almost 8,000 candidates will apply for the approximately 380 places. This year’s applicant pool promises to be among the largest and most highly qualified in our history. Competition for admission has never been more keen. We share your disappointment that, with such an abundance of highly qualified applicants for so relatively few openings, we are now unable to provide you and other highly qualified applicants with a definitive decision on your candidacy for admission.
After considering carefully whether or not you wish to remain in consideration for admission to Columbia this August, kindly notify us of that decision. You may do so by submitting the online Reserve Response Form at http://www.law.columbia.edu/firstreserve as soon as possible but no later than Monday, May 7, 2012. If you do wish to remain in our Reserve group, please ensure that the contact information you provide is up to date.

I would like to reaffirm that, at this point in the selection process, we take this action to provide you with every opportunity to be chosen for admission into our Class of 2015.

POLICIES AND PRACTICES PERTAINING TO COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL'S RESERVE CATEGORY
Unlike the applicants who are "wait listed" at some law schools, candidates placed on Reserve at Columbia are at no point ranked ordinally. Rather, each application on Reserve is reviewed again in its entirety by the Admissions Committee on a periodic basis, as openings in the entering class materialize. Particular attention is focused on recent developments—such as final term grades, thesis evaluations, election to Phi Beta Kappa, departmental honors, or other awards bestowed upon graduation for scholarship, leadership or service.

If you are currently in school and have not already done so, we ask that you have sent directly to us transcripts covering courses that were not completed at the time of your application. If you are taking courses this term, it would be helpful if you would send us a report of your final grades in a personal letter as soon as they become known to you, in addition to requesting from your registrar that an official transcript be sent to the Law School.

The next evaluation of candidates on Reserve will begin at the end of May. At that time some applicants will be offered or denied admission. Others, however, will be asked if they wish to continue on Reserve in order to be considered for those vacancies that normally arise during the summer months.

Because the number of students admitted from the Reserve group varies considerably from year to year, it is not possible to predict reliably how many candidates on Reserve will be admitted in any given cycle. Furthermore, because the number of applicants on Reserve is not released by the Admissions Committee, a candidate is unable to calculate the probability of his or her admission. Active candidates should be encouraged, however, to know that every year some applicants are offered admission from the Reserve category, eventually enroll, and proceed to distinguish themselves at the Law School.

It is not possible for candidates on Reserve to have an interview with the Dean of Admissions or make an appearance before the Admissions Committee. Also, in order to protect the confidentiality that each applicant entrusts to us, we cannot discuss the substance or outcome of a candidacy over the telephone. If you have questions or concerns, or if you believe that materials already submitted need amplification, please forward a written statement to the attention of Dean Nkonye Iwerebon. If we determine that further information would be helpful in our upcoming review of your application, we shall, of course, contact you.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continuing interest in Columbia Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OSSplitter

New

Post by OSSplitter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Maybe this was answered earlier and I missed it - but have we seen any straight dings from people on hold? Or are those folks just not active here on TLS, I mean there has to be some sort of self-selection bias going on, right? At least, that's what I keep telling myself in order to believe that I'm not going to get dinged on the 24th with everyone else who hasn't heard yet. ugh

sdenton

New

Post by sdenton » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Reserved ED. Why you gotta do me like that, Columbia? Don't you know how much I love you?

Sent in unsolicited LOCI in the past week. Guess I'm riding it out with my false hope.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:32 pm

I am having a shit cycle. WLed at Wash U and radio silence at Columbia forever, so,...yeah. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the denial letter this week.

My LSAT is below 25th, GPA above 75th, so it's no surprise. Still, I'd just like to know before Christmas.

Good luck to all the reserve candidates! :D

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm

sdenton wrote:Reserved ED. Why you gotta do me like that, Columbia? Don't you know how much I love you?

Sent in unsolicited LOCI in the past week. Guess I'm riding it out with my false hope.
So you sent in the LOCI just before you heard about the Reserve? Hmmm... maybe I'll send them a letter just to remind them I'm still here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sdenton

New

Post by sdenton » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
sdenton wrote:Reserved ED. Why you gotta do me like that, Columbia? Don't you know how much I love you?

So you sent in the LOCI just before you heard about the Reserve? Hmmm... maybe I'll send them a letter just to remind them I'm still here.
Yep. They sent me an email saying they received it on Monday and reserved me Wednesday. I figure it could only help. :/

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Did everyone get confirmation emails after they sent LOCIs? I did not.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm

cjcregg wrote:Did everyone get confirmation emails after they sent LOCIs? I did not.
I did. Did you send it by email?

YesNoMaybe

Bronze

Post by YesNoMaybe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
cjcregg wrote:Did everyone get confirmation emails after they sent LOCIs? I did not.
Yep. To DF.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 pm

cjcregg wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
Yep. To DF.
You get a confirmation if you send it to the general admissions email (admissions@law.columbia.edu). Since you sent it to Danielle, you will not get a confirmation, but they do get it and add it to your file.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 pm

They must know what their class profile looks like by now--what is the point in keeping others in the dark? These Reserve waves are pointless if everyone going forward is going to get Reserved (why not just send it to EVERYONE?). I think if you've survived this far in, it's a good sign. The recent Reserve-decisions all seem to have one or both numbers below the median. I wonder what the numbers of of the Hold/LOCI request group looks like. I'm willing to bet they're higher on average.

Actually, can those of us who were Held/Got the LOCI request but have not heard anything so far post our numbers? I'll start

172/Above 75th

OSSplitter

New

Post by OSSplitter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote: Actually, can those of us who were Held/Got the LOCI request but have not heard anything so far post our numbers?
Held/Sent unrequested LOCI

179/Below 25th (according to the LSAC Overseas GPA Random Number Generator)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Also, sorry to hear about the reserves.

@Cog, if Columbia doesn't bite, I hope Penn does. I will be withdrawing from their waitlist shortly, and I hope that cuts down on your competition.

@EMZE, Berkeley is amazing option. I am glad to see that softs matter for some people at least.

@Everyone:
I recommend staying on Columbia's reserve if you want Columbia. Although a reserve is historically a soft rejection, I think this cycle will be unpredictable. An ED deferral has historically been a soft rejection, and I managed to beat the system. I honestly therefore think that Columbia's reserve will be utilized. I also have to be blunt and say that getting off the reserve is not very likely. Be hopeful, but be realistic.
OSSplitter wrote: Held/Sent unrequested LOCI

179/Below 25th (according to the LSAC Overseas GPA Random Number Generator)
Lol! My understanding is that an international GPA doesn't count against their median, but your LSAT would count in favor. If that is the case, I'm surprised they haven't let you in yet. Either way man, hope you get in.
Last edited by KevinP on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gorges

New

Post by Gorges » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Will be withdrawing soon, hopefully this frees up the money from the Butler scholarship and a spot for someone!

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard so far.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 am

Last edited by smaug_ on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skull Puppy

New

Post by Skull Puppy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 am

Held and sent requested LOCI. Above 75th LSAT/ Right above 25%

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 am

Held and sent requested LOCI. Right below median LSAT. Above 75% GPA.

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:43 am

Held/Requested/Sent/Silence. +75 LSAT, -50 GPA

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:31 am

Just withdrew after getting the email asking me for an LOLCI, not responding, and then just now getting reserved. Good luck you guys!

Law4889

New

Post by Law4889 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am

Any Held EDers left out there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”