Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I searched for this thread and couldn't find it. I apologize if it already exists.

I thought it's be nice to have a place for splitters to share results for this upcoming cycle. Please- no debating what makes a splitter. If someone wants to post in this thread, leave them be. Reverse splitters are also welcome.

To start with, post your stats and where you're applying.

3.26/169 and retaking (fingers crossed) in October
4 years WE, 2 in marketing and 2 with TFA
female, non-URM, Texas resident

I'm particularly interested if TFA gives any bump or if my cycle would be what a normal splitter cycle would be. Right now my prediction is that it won't help. We'll see.

I have a lot of fee waivers, so I'm casting a really, really wide net. Applying to:

Chicago (SUPER reach), Berkeley (SUPER reach), Duke (SUPER reach), Michigan (SUPER reach), Cornell (reach),
Penn (SUPER reach), Virginia (reach), Northwestern (reach), Georgetown (reach), Texas (DREAM school. But I'm aware it's a near impossibility due to the GPA floor), UCLA (reach), USC (reach), Vanderbilt (reach), WUSTL (target), Emory (target), BC (semi-reach), BU (semi-reach), Notre Dame (target?), GWU (target?), Illinois (target), Indiana (target), Minnesota (target), William & Mary (target?), Alabama (target), North Carolina (target?), Arizona State (safety), Colorado (safety), George Mason (safety), Ohio State (target?), Wisconsin Madison (target?), Tulane (safety), SMU and UH (preferred safety schools as I want to practice in Texas).

Feel free to criticize the list or make suggestions.

Post your own stats and lists. I'm ready to get this cycle started.

User avatar
katie96
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby katie96 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:16 pm

katie96 wrote:With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D


I am knocking on wood and sending good vibes your way.

User avatar
katie96
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby katie96 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 pm

emkay625 wrote:
katie96 wrote:With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D


I am knocking on wood and sending good vibes your way.



That is very much appreciated and sent from me to you as well!

santaclara12
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby santaclara12 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 pm

glad to see this post go up. apply with a 3.48 and target lsat of 170+.

stanford (3rd gen legacy and extreme REACH) UCLA, USC, Hastings, USD, Pepperdine, Gtown, Fordham, NYU (reach)

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 pm

santaclara12 wrote:glad to see this post go up. apply with a 3.48 and target lsat of 170+.

stanford (3rd gen legacy and extreme REACH) UCLA, USC, Hastings, USD, Pepperdine, Gtown, Fordham, NYU (reach)

Apply to a broader range of T14s, IMO...CA schools are notorious for being harsh on splitters. If you apply to a wider range you also have the benefit of potentially playing schools off each other for more moniezzzz.

ETA: oh, I just realized you have a target LSAT, not a real one. NVM. But if you DO hit over 170 on the Oct test, you should apply to more schools.

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby citykitty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 pm

3.0/170 here
non-trad, but not a whole lot of WE... mostly volunteer stuff; yes, I screwed around in college the first few years, but I have a 4.0 from my DGI. it's quite pathetic

I'm looking at WUSTL, some affordable, southeast regionals like Wake, UNC, UGA... maybe Vandy for a reach. I'm applying to the midwest, splitter friendly schools for sure. MN already sent a fee waiver, so there for sure and UIUC and IUB. I would love to go to UTX, as that's where all my family is, but I'm no longer a state resident so I figure my chance is about 0. I'm quite debt averse, so EDing to UVA or M is out. I might throw a few apps to the T14 as reaches, but I don't expect to get in, and even if I did I'll probably go somewhere more affordable.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:32 pm

citykitty wrote:3.0/170 here
non-trad, but not a whole lot of WE... mostly volunteer stuff; yes, I screwed around in college the first few years, but I have a 4.0 from my DGI. it's quite pathetic

I'm looking at WUSTL, some affordable, southeast regionals like Wake, UNC, UGA... maybe Vandy for a reach. I'm applying to the midwest, splitter friendly schools for sure. MN already sent a fee waiver, so there for sure and UIUC and IUB. I would love to go to UTX, as that's where all my family is, but I'm no longer a state resident so I figure my chance is about 0. I'm quite debt averse, so EDing to UVA or M is out. I might throw a few apps to the T14 as reaches, but I don't expect to get in, and even if I did I'll probably go somewhere more affordable.


I'm the same way. I know to have a shot at UVA or Northwestern I'd have to ED, but the idea of not being able to weigh offers and choose the one that minimizes debt terrifies me. Maybe this economy will instantly turn around......*crosses fingers and takes another shot*

User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Aurora » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 pm

katie96 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
katie96 wrote:With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D


I am knocking on wood and sending good vibes your way.



That is very much appreciated and sent from me to you as well!



Hoping for the same :) Taking the October Lsat !

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Aurora wrote:
katie96 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
katie96 wrote:With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D


I am knocking on wood and sending good vibes your way.



That is very much appreciated and sent from me to you as well!



Hoping for the same :) Taking the October Lsat !


Sending them your way as well then!

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm

I qualify! 170s lsat with a mid-3.x gpa. mediocre softs, 2 yrs full time WE at matriculation.

emkay, are you sending apps to all those schools?!? That's quite impressive. I was thinking about only sending to ~10 schools but your list is making me reconsidering sending out a couple more.

Good luck to all the splitters this cycle!
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby chem » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.4x
Major: Engineering, hard science, hard science triple major
No postgraduate work experience, but lots of engineering work part time/during summers

Reaches
Penn
Northwestern
UVA

Targets
UT Austin
Cornell
Georgetown
USC
UCLA
Vanderbilt

Safeties
UC Davis
WUSTL
UIUC
George Washington


Ima gonna follow the money

jsvaughn
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby jsvaughn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 pm

167
2.65

Screwed around in undergrad but oh well it is what it is.

Going to be casting a wide net and apply to pretty much anyone who gives me a fee waiver.

Reach: UNC, GW, Minnesota, Indiana, WUSTL, Illinois

Target: UGA, Alabama, FSU, Florida, Wake Forest, Richmond, Cincinnati, American, Kentucky, Pittsburgh

Safety: NCCU, Syracuse, West Virginia, Campbell, CUNY

Good luck to everybody this cycle!

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby wiseguy33 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:33 pm

As a splitter from last cycle, I wish you all the best of luck. It's really not as bad as everyone says, especially if you get your apps in early.

emkay625 wrote: I thought it's be nice to have a place for splitters to share results for this upcoming cycle. Please- no debating what makes a splitter. If someone wants to post in this thread, leave them be. Reverse splitters are also welcome.


Also, this. From my experience with last year's splitter threads, this +1000.

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Ginj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm

LSAT: 160 (retaking October)
GPA: 3.2ish
Grad degree: Top 5%

Would really like: WUSTL, Northwestern, Cornell, CU Boulder

Might consider: Denver, Arkansas, Oregon, Lewis & Clark, Temple

Would poop self: Duke (HA), Penn

I also applied to that Australian school because, hey...why the fuck not?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:14 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:As a splitter from last cycle, I wish you all the best of luck. It's really not as bad as everyone says, especially if you get your apps in early.

emkay625 wrote: I thought it's be nice to have a place for splitters to share results for this upcoming cycle. Please- no debating what makes a splitter. If someone wants to post in this thread, leave them be. Reverse splitters are also welcome.


Also, this. From my experience with last year's splitter threads, this +1000.


Yeah. Last year's threads are why I included that. : )

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:I qualify! 170s lsat with a mid-3.x gpa. mediocre softs, 2 yrs full time WE at matriculation.

emkay, are you sending apps to all those schools?!? That's quite impressive. I was thinking about only sending to ~10 schools but your list is making me reconsidering sending out a couple more.

Good luck to all the splitters this cycle!


I am. I'm a teacher with the summer off, so all of my "Why X?" essays and the like should be finished by the time school starts. I also have fee waivers to 3/4 of them, which helps. (TFA = automatic fee waivers).

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby czelede » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 am

wiseguy33 wrote:As a splitter from last cycle, I wish you all the best of luck. It's really not as bad as everyone says, especially if you get your apps in early.

emkay625 wrote: I thought it's be nice to have a place for splitters to share results for this upcoming cycle. Please- no debating what makes a splitter. If someone wants to post in this thread, leave them be. Reverse splitters are also welcome.


Also, this. From my experience with last year's splitter threads, this +1000.


+1 to all this. Splitterdom for the win :)

bitterpessimist
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby bitterpessimist » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Checking in ... unfortunately.

3.02/167 URM

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 pm

katie96 wrote:With my 3.4x GPA and dreams of NYU, I am hoping to score high enough in October to qualify as an exteme splitter. :D


Nail a 174 and join my 3.5X (X is low) on #teamEDtoNYU

I'll also be throwing September 1st applications the way of:

Columbia
Penn
UVA
Duke
GULC
Cornell
Fordham

and MAYBE Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern

User avatar
Master_Splinter
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Master_Splinter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:54 pm

bitterpessimist wrote:Checking in ... unfortunately.

3.02/167 URM



You should have a very interesting cycle, any splitter cycle is hard to predict but URM splitter cycles especially. Good luck!

User avatar
Master_Splinter
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Master_Splinter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Looks like I'm in...

2.93 GPA
LSAT- Waiting for Oct.
4 years WE
AA Male

Not sure where my reaches will be, hoping for 170+ in Oct. My list will obiviously change pending score. Will apply to all "splitter friedly" schools

Reaches:
Any T-14 who will have me! :D

Targets:
Minnesota
Illinois
SMU
U Houston
Emory
Washington, St. Louis

User avatar
Imogene
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Imogene » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

I will take the plunge as the first reverse splitter!

4.0/165 (The 165 was a retake. My first score was a 161. I really don't want to retake again, but this site tempts me.)

As a side note, good luck to everyone taking the LSAT in October!

Reaches/Targets:

Michigan :)
UCLA
Northwestern
Notre Dame (Safety maybe?)


Safeties:

MSU (My original top choice and super tempting if I get $$$ because I could live at home.)
Alabama
Lewis and Clark

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:07 pm

The best advice I have for splitters is GET YOUR APPS IN EARLY. I applied in January 2011 and while I wasn't an extreme splitter (3.5/177), I got WL'd/Rejected at almost everyplace I applied. Thankfully I still got into my top two choices (NYU/Columbia), but I probably would have had more options (particularly more scholarships) had I applied earlier.

moleculex17
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Splitters unite! 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby moleculex17 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 pm

GPA - 2.84
LSAT - 178

Target/Reaches - MVP downwards
Applying to a decent amount of schools and hoping for some splitter love this cycle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, blackpi, BodieBroadus, Ferrisjso and 13 guests