. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
the SOH

New

Re: STCL Spring 2012

Post by the SOH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Not yet, I'll let you guys know. I'm checking my email like every business hour, the suspense is killing me!

The idea of them extending the deadline due to low app's did cross my mind, and it made me happy :) bc that means more chances to get in. But pollyann getting stiffed with numbers like that (and I'm trusting the rest of her "package" was at least up to par)- has me worried. I don't like worrying.

If I get anything other then accepted, I will curl up and cry and then let you guys know.

chimac07

New

Post by chimac07 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 pm

the SOH wrote:Not yet, I'll let you guys know. I'm checking my email like every business hour, the suspense is killing me!

The idea of them extending the deadline due to low app's did cross my mind, and it made me happy :) bc that means more chances to get in. But pollyann getting stiffed with numbers like that (and I'm trusting the rest of her "package" was at least up to par)- has me worried. I don't like worrying.

If I get anything other then accepted, I will curl up and cry and then let you guys know.

your not alone man. i was feeling good seeing cooljack and idontpaymyharlots on LSN getting in with 140s LSATs then i see pollyanna not getting it...... Makes me worried again now....

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 am

chimac07 wrote:
the SOH wrote:Not yet, I'll let you guys know. I'm checking my email like every business hour, the suspense is killing me!

your not alone man. i was feeling good seeing cooljack and idontpaymyharlots on LSN getting in with 140s LSATs then i see pollyanna not getting it...... Makes me worried again now....
FYI <----idontpaymyharlots. that's me.

U means URM (underrepresented minority)...N means Non-Traditional Applicant, which means someone who's been out of undergrads for at least 5 years.

If you look at previous years, not many 140s get in. I do think we were exception to the rule, we wrote pretty good PS.

pollyannaflower

New

Post by pollyannaflower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 am

I put 2 and 2 together and figured that was you, fatpeopleavenger. I is smart, but maybe not smart enough to get into STCL. It seems after a couple people being accepted with 140s and others on here posting their LSATs in the 140s that more 140s are applying, thus making my chance with a 151 greater. Well, one would think (maybe just one...me). If they were low on apps, why is there already a waiting list? And why am I on it?! Ugh.

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:24 pm

pollyannaflower wrote:I put 2 and 2 together and figured that was you, fatpeopleavenger. I is smart, but maybe not smart enough to get into STCL. It seems after a couple people being accepted with 140s and others on here posting their LSATs in the 140s that more 140s are applying, thus making my chance with a 151 greater. Well, one would think (maybe just one...me). If they were low on apps, why is there already a waiting list? And why am I on it?! Ugh.
It wasn't a big mystery you know, LOL. especially when i said I was East Asian.

chimac is also Asian and he hasn't been accepted (yet). I think you really need to review your application. Thinking your app package is good is different from knowing it is. I am on the latter. If you're on the former, it doesn't hurt to polish it even further.

I wrote a Personal Statement and Diversity Statement. In my PS, i wrote about the hardships of my childhood and made my mother the theme of the PS, because I'm a momma's boy. In my DS, I wrote few things that makes me stand out, my struggles, and I also indirectly said reason why I struggled on my LSAT was because I didn't take a prep course (which I didn't, now I'm taking a prep course so that I can take the exam for the 3rd time).

And I don't know how good my LORs are since...well you're not suppose to read them. Sometimes I don't think it's whom you get it from, perhaps it's the quality of them. None of us know what is being written in those LORs, unless you decided to ignore LSAT regulations and looked at them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm

damn i shoulda mentioned i didn't take a prep course in my statement too. ffffffUDGE!

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 pm

the SOH wrote:damn i shoulda mentioned i didn't take a prep course in my statement too. ffffffUDGE!
i did it indirectly. if you write it in a direct way, then i don't think they'll care as much. you have to know how to get into the minds of adcoms.

pollyannaflower

New

Post by pollyannaflower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Well, I know my package was good...not only because the counselor I visited with at STCL last year told me so, but also because I wrote about something traumatic that happened to me and how I overcame it and now want to represent people who go through similar situations. My LORs were from an attorney I worked for in Atlanta and 2 that I've worked for here in Houston. I've been working for lawyers since 1997 so my resume is also good. The only thing I was told to improve was my LSAT and I did. I mentioned that in my LOCI, but who knows if they actually read those.

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm hoping you'll get in. It seems like you really want to go to this school. Why is STCL high on your list? I know it has a stellar reputation for a T4 school and heard their graduates do well in the Houston market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pollyannaflower

New

Post by pollyannaflower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm

^Thanks. My LSAT isn't high enough for other Houston-area schools and I know someone who recently graduated from there who encouraged me. Also, a few attorneys at my firm now went there. It has a great advocacy program.
My LORs are dated last year, and I added a new one this year to update a little. I don't want to apply for Fall with letters dated 2010. That's why I said it was my last chance. And...I'm not gettin' any younger. :P I'm not a big believer in fate, but if I don't get in this time, I feel like it's not meant to be.

chimac07

New

Post by chimac07 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 pm

pollyannaflower wrote:^Thanks. My LSAT isn't high enough for other Houston-area schools and I know someone who recently graduated from there who encouraged me. Also, a few attorneys at my firm now went there. It has a great advocacy program.
My LORs are dated last year, and I added a new one this year to update a little. I don't want to apply for Fall with letters dated 2010. That's why I said it was my last chance. And...I'm not gettin' any younger. :P I'm not a big believer in fate, but if I don't get in this time, I feel like it's not meant to be.

Ever thought about going into TSU law which is VERY CHEAP and then transfering out to STCL?

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

TSU? Nahhhhhhh!

The waiting game sucks hardcore

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm

the SOH wrote:sucks polyanna:( hope you make a comeback

my numbers aren't super hot either, sitting at 153//3.11. BUT i consider myself to have a very strong resume and lor's. I'm not white, I don't know whether that'll help or hurt- I try not to think on it. I wish they could judge me by my sex skills, i Kill with my sex skills
LOLWUT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pollyannaflower

New

Post by pollyannaflower » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 am

It's Fridaaay, Fridaaay! Maybe you guys will hear today.

Whatever827

New

Post by Whatever827 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I wish that were true, but I'm not necessarily sold that it's going to happen. I feel like it might be another week. :roll:

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm

nothing yet.. i finished my app in august

nessanicole

New

Post by nessanicole » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Was accepted this afternoon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chimac07

New

Post by chimac07 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Accepted Nov 14th around 4Pm. Thnk you jesus!

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Congrats guys!

If y'all don't mind- what was your gpa and lsat? Did you have an exceptional resume or ps?

chimac07

New

Post by chimac07 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 pm

the SOH wrote:Congrats guys!

If y'all don't mind- what was your gpa and lsat? Did you have an exceptional resume or ps?

150 and 2.99..... resume is very unique for a person my age.(22 years old) As for the PS, i kind of just winged it lol! Did it in one day.

nessanicole

New

Post by nessanicole » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 pm

chimac07 wrote:
the SOH wrote:Congrats guys!

150 and 2.99..... resume is very unique for a person my age.(22 years old) As for the PS, i kind of just winged it lol! Did it in one day.
153 and 3.56. Resume highlights 14 years in public education. PS about what has led me to leave the profession to go to law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:47 pm

another week, no answer. I wonder if they'll be reviewing and giving answers during thanksgiving week.. What a pain, applied well before ORIGINAL deadline and still waiting, someone told me chances of being accepted get slim towards back end of review period. :(

just venting

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

the SOH wrote:another week, no answer. I wonder if they'll be reviewing and giving answers during thanksgiving week.. What a pain, applied well before ORIGINAL deadline and still waiting, someone told me chances of being accepted get slim towards back end of review period. :(

just venting
why don't you email them? Have you apply to other schools? If STCL is a place you badly want to get into, retake isnt a bad idea (sorry if i'm sounding like a TLS elitist here).

the SOH

New

Post by the SOH » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:24 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
the SOH wrote:another week, no answer. I wonder if they'll be reviewing and giving answers during thanksgiving week.. What a pain, applied well before ORIGINAL deadline and still waiting, someone told me chances of being accepted get slim towards back end of review period. :(

just venting
why don't you email them? Have you apply to other schools? If STCL is a place you badly want to get into, retake isnt a bad idea (sorry if i'm sounding like a TLS elitist here).

I actually called them today and the girl in the admissions office told me it IS a random order for when they pick up each application to review (i did mine early and they extended deadline a month to get more), AND she acknowledged that even though they still have some "acceptance offers" left- there are less to go around- which would make you think it's gonna be much more competitive.
Idk, it makes me feel like the longer I wait the dimmer it gets

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 am

the SOH wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

just venting

I actually called them today and the girl in the admissions office told me it IS a random order for when they pick up each application to review (i did mine early and they extended deadline a month to get more), AND she acknowledged that even though they still have some "acceptance offers" left- there are less to go around- which would make you think it's gonna be much more competitive.
Idk, it makes me feel like the longer I wait the dimmer it gets
I'm sorry, but this sounds like a complete BS. Obviously they're not going to directly tell you "Well We're not so sure about you so we're still mulling it over" or anything like that. But that being said, I do hope you get accepted. Some of you have some serious desire to get into this school, which is always a good thing. I have the same desire right now for Hofstra and Toledo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”