USC Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aryathegreat

USC Waitlist 2011

Postby aryathegreat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I know there is another thread about the Video Interview, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread specifically to get updates on who is grinding out the wait.

Im sure this thread will be more helpful when we start to get more activity in the next couple weeks

BlueDiamond

Re: USC Waitlist 2011

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm on it.. still have to make my video though

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Is everyone submitting a video?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:Is everyone submitting a video?

i just superimposed myself sipping a beer over star wars.

i'm joking. i'm already committed, but i'd be happy to listen to anyone's pitch. i'd imagine you want to give this the same level of pre-planning and thought you put into your personal statements.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Doesn't seem like too many people are remaining on the WL for some reason (anyone else feel this way?) Maybe the video was a deterrent to some who don't see USC as one of their top choices. Also, I noticed that a shitload of people on LSN who were accepted have already withdrawn.

I submitted my video pretty early on and I'm definitely riding this one out. When is the first seat deposit due?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 pm

chimp wrote:Doesn't seem like too many people are remaining on the WL for some reason (anyone else feel this way?) Maybe the video was a deterrent to some who don't see USC as one of their top choices. Also, I noticed that a shitload of people on LSN who were accepted have already withdrawn.

I submitted my video pretty early on and I'm definitely riding this one out. When is the first seat deposit due?

today, bro.

USC seems to only be accepting non-URMs who are above medians, and if you're above USC's medians you can also likely get into a lot of the lower t-14 so you really have to like USC to attend considering USC is not any kinder with $ than these schools. keep in mind that USC only has 105 students per grade or something so they don't need the same yield %age.

Postby 071816 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Hardly any people posting in this thread. I wonder why...

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 pm

I will also be riding the waitlist. I submitted my video interview the day of the deadline, actually; I had to "get everything right." I'm a splitter, non-URM, and would definitely attend USC/ucla; it just depends who lets me in first (or at all).

How does USC feel about LOCIs?

Postby 071816 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm

helloperson wrote:I will also be riding the waitlist. I submitted my video interview the day of the deadline, actually; I had to "get everything right." I'm a splitter, non-URM, and would definitely attend USC/ucla; it just depends who lets me in first (or at all).

How does USC feel about LOCIs?

They welcome them. I've sent them two emailed LOCIs so far and I received personal responses to each of them saying thanks for my email and that the information would be added to my file.

TheImpleader

Postby TheImpleader » Sat May 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey! I just wanted to let you guys know you still have a GREAT chance of being admitted off of the waitlist. Granted every year is different, but I was admitted off of the waitlist last year, and MANY of my friends here were as well (way more than you would think). Keep being persistent and remind them you want to be a Trojan. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Postby 071816 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:26 pm

TheImpleader wrote:Hey! I just wanted to let you guys know you still have a GREAT chance of being admitted off of the waitlist. Granted every year is different, but I was admitted off of the waitlist last year, and MANY of my friends here were as well (way more than you would think). Keep being persistent and remind them you want to be a Trojan. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Cool. Thanks for the support. Hopefully everyone who has been posting in this thread gets in :P

Also, out of curiosity, what makes you think we have a great chance? I was under the impression that not too many people were admitted off of waitlists last year.

Anyway, if what you are saying is in fact true then hopefully we have an even better chance than you guys did last year considering apps were down this cycle and USC seems to be a safety school for many people applying to the T14. We shall see.

trojanlover

Postby trojanlover » Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 pm

TheImpleader wrote:Hey! I just wanted to let you guys know you still have a GREAT chance of being admitted off of the waitlist. Granted every year is different, but I was admitted off of the waitlist last year, and MANY of my friends here were as well (way more than you would think). Keep being persistent and remind them you want to be a Trojan. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

hey thanks for the words of encouragement. When did you get admitted off of the waitlist? Was it early or late in the summer? When were your friends?

TheImpleader

Postby TheImpleader » Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm

chimp wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the support. Hopefully everyone who has been posting in this thread gets in :P

Also, out of curiosity, what makes you think we have a great chance? I was under the impression that not too many people were admitted off of waitlists last year.

Anyway, if what you are saying is in fact true then hopefully we have an even better chance than you guys did last year considering apps were down this cycle and USC seems to be a safety school for many people applying to the T14. We shall see.

Some informal poll taking. USC typically offers most non-waitlist admits a scholarship of some sort, some are meager but almost all of them get it. If you look at the self released numbers for my class it says that about 50% of my class has a scholarship. Normalizing for the handful of non-waitlist students who may not have gotten a scholarship that still gives you a VERY health number of people from the waitlist (our class is about 215 people). As well in my section I can name 15 people I know were off of the waitlist, and there could be more. Obviously none of this is scientific and it is all subject to change, how many people enroll, and how many of them get picked off the waitlists at other schools.
Last edited by TheImpleader on Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheImpleader

Postby TheImpleader » Mon May 09, 2011 11:37 pm

trojanlover wrote:

hey thanks for the words of encouragement. When did you get admitted off of the waitlist? Was it early or late in the summer? When were your friends?

I was admitted in mid-June, I have friends who were admitted then, some who were in early July and even know a handful that found out the week before orientation began in August.

Using the word GREAT was probably an over statement, but people definitely do get in off the waitlist and more than you would think. I just remember when I was in your position last year I could have used some words of encouragement and a possible light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully this helped!

grayfoxx13

Postby grayfoxx13 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

I am grinding this wait list out as well as USC is the school I really want to go to now. I did the video (really didn't like it but oh well) and sent in two LOCI as well as visited the campus and a professor. Good luck to everyone else and please post if you receive any updates. If I remember correctly they will call you if you get off the WL so at least I wont be neurotically checking my email every hour :P

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:25 pm

grayfoxx13 wrote:I am grinding this wait list out as well as USC is the school I really want to go to now. I did the video (really didn't like it but oh well) and sent in two LOCI as well as visited the campus and a professor. Good luck to everyone else and please post if you receive any updates. If I remember correctly they will call you if you get off the WL so at least I wont be neurotically checking my email every hour :P

how do u know they didn't like it?

RedItalus10

Postby RedItalus10 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:36 pm

What do you do about your loans at other schools if you get accepted late off the WL? Right now I'm committed to ND and have submitted loan apps, housing, deposits, etc...I eventually want to work in LA though thanks for the advice!

TheImpleader

Postby TheImpleader » Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 pm

RedItalus10 wrote:What do you do about your loans at other schools if you get accepted late off the WL? Right now I'm committed to ND and have submitted loan apps, housing, deposits, etc...I eventually want to work in LA though thanks for the advice!

I had the same issue. From how it was explained to me, as long as they haven't been dispersed- which doesn't tend to happen till the week or two before school starts- you can cancel them. Schools have been through it before so they know how to help you. Housing becomes an issue if you're not doing campus housing because then you have to find someone to take your place. When I knew I'd be riding out the waitlist I made sure to make housing arrangements at my other school that would be the easiest and cheapest to get out of, and that tends to be law student housing through the school.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:05 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
grayfoxx13 wrote:I am grinding this wait list out as well as USC is the school I really want to go to now. I did the video (really didn't like it but oh well) and sent in two LOCI as well as visited the campus and a professor. Good luck to everyone else and please post if you receive any updates. If I remember correctly they will call you if you get off the WL so at least I wont be neurotically checking my email every hour :P

how do u know they didn't like it?

I believe the poster meant that he/she didn't like doing the video, not that the admissions committee didn't like the video that they submitted. That is how I interpreted it anyway.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Wed May 11, 2011 4:05 pm

JUST GOTT INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Wed May 11, 2011 4:09 pm

aryathegreat wrote:JUST GOTT INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Congrats! For those of us on the waitlist, do you mind sharing your numbers, when you were waitlisted, if you send a LOCI, etc?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:09 pm

congrats. you committing?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:09 pm

stowhat wrote:

Congrats! For those of us on the waitlist, do you mind sharing your numbers, when you were waitlisted, if you send a LOCI, etc?

his #s are in his profile.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Wed May 11, 2011 4:11 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
stowhat wrote:

his #s are in his profile.

Opps, just saw those after I posted.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 pm

your high powered perception will serve you well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”