Hi. I am a current 1L at Berkelely, here to recommend a housing option: the Berkeley International House. I'm posting this here because no one reads a 26-page long thread (see Berkeley Admit thread).
The I-House is literally across the street from the law school, has a dining hall that provides all meals, and it is a very social and fun atmosphere. There's a also a large group of law students there, so you'll be joining a fun crowd. The I-House is 50%/50% Grad/Undergrads, and 50%/50% foreign students/domestic students. About 75% of the law students at I-House are from the US.
Here are the pros and cons:
- Location - 25 feet from the law school
- Food - you don't have to cook for yourself and there is a large dining hall with a ton of constantly-changing options for every meal
- Social - meals are very social, and the law students at i house get to know each other very well. Also, your hallmates are from all over, so you can meet a bunch of friends outside of the law school environment.
Note: All grad/law students are entitled to a single room if they want one.
- Cooking - if you like cooking this probably isn't the best bet for you because there's only one kitchen and it's mostly only used for special occasions. i.e. don't expect to cook your own meals every day.
- Food package - you cannot live in I-House without buying the food package for the meals. Again, though, this is only a problem if you will be eating out a lot or cooking a lot. Also, some people think that the food options get kind of old after the first few months, but I've been here all of 1L year so far (7 months) and am still liking the options and the changing menus.
PRICE: the price is about $8,000 for rent and $4000 for food for the cheapest option. Also, if you want a large room overlooking the Bay Area, with a view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, those rooms are $11,000 for rent, 4k for food.
WEBSITE: For more info check out the Berkeley International House website at --LinkRemoved--
Applications are available on the website (and I think like 100% of those who apply get in if they apply early enough).
LOCATION: The address is 2299 Piedmont Ave. Google-Map it so you can see that I'm not joking in saying it's across the street from the law school.
Also, if you have any generaly questions about Berkeley feel free to email me at email@example.com. And just so you know, I'm not affiliated with or working for/with I-House; I'm posting this because I wish someone had told me about I-House and I didn't have to stumble across it by accident when I was searching for housing at Berkeley. Also, it'll be cool to grow the law school contingent at the I-House.
Congrats again on getting into Berkeley.
Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests