Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shatra

Bronze

Re: Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully)

Post by shatra » Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

I just wanted to let everyone know before I do it that I'm going to release an update today. It caused some problems last time, hopefully it'll go better this time. It should pop up ask you if you want to update, but I'll also post the link if you want to reinstall manually. The new update fixes a few bugs, adds Northwestern and U Mich (do they even have decisions left to make?!), and the University of St. Thomas (thank you Darko86!), and adds a history tab so you can make sure it's doing its work while you're away. Speaking of U Mich, I withdrew my application weeks ago and it still updates the "Last Updated" date every day, I'm convinced that date never meant anything. I'm sorry it took me so long to get a chance to post the update, I've had it done for a while but life got in the way. I also finished the Android app and have just been dragging my feet about paying the $25 to be able to post it to the Android Market, but I'll at least give a download link to it today. Anyway, I just wanted to give some warning in case the update causes problems.

If you find it doesn't work after the update, close and reopen it just to be sure (sometimes it doesn't actually finish the update until you open it again), otherwise go to your application data directory (on OS X it is: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Titanium/appdata/com.lsstatuscheck.statuscheck, on Windows 7 it is: C:\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Titanium\appdata\com.lsstatuscheck.statuscheck) and if the file appinfo.db exists, delete it (which if you use v1.0 will delete your saved logins), same with ainfo.db. If that doesn't work, try deleting the uinfo.db (which if you use v1.1 will delete your saved logins). It's only the databases that have been causing problems, so hopefully just deleting them rather than all your saved data will work. I've tried this update on four different computers and it worked fine this time, but who knows.

I never was able to reproduce the reproducing Refresh button problem but I think I fixed it, but let me know if, after updating, there are still any other weird bugs that I might not know about because they just haven't happened to me yet.

shatra

Bronze

Post by shatra » Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Just "pushed" the update. You can wait for it to ask you to update, or if you want to install/reinstall you can go here: --LinkRemoved--. The link to the Android app is there, too. I'm really busy in the next few days but I'll try to pop on to see if anyone is having any problems.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Bump for this cycle of applicants to share in the awesomeness!

ETA: just kidding, site is down. Darn ):

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm

any plan to get it working again soon? Would it help if people PM'd you links to the status checkers?

shatra

Bronze

Post by shatra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey guys, it's all finished I just haven't had time to upload, but I'd be happy to do it later today. I also made an Android app, so I can post the link to that, too. The only problem is that since I'm not applying to any schools this year I can't actually test to make sure it still works, so if it turns out it doesn't I might need someone to PM me the HTML for this year's app. I'll post again tonight once it's up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:28 pm

shatra wrote:Hey guys, it's all finished I just haven't had time to upload, but I'd be happy to do it later today. I also made an Android app, so I can post the link to that, too. The only problem is that since I'm not applying to any schools this year I can't actually test to make sure it still works, so if it turns out it doesn't I might need someone to PM me the HTML for this year's app. I'll post again tonight once it's up.
I would do it, but I'm computer-retarded. I'm sure crumpetsandtea would be willing, though, and I can help as needed.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
shatra wrote:Hey guys, it's all finished I just haven't had time to upload, but I'd be happy to do it later today. I also made an Android app, so I can post the link to that, too. The only problem is that since I'm not applying to any schools this year I can't actually test to make sure it still works, so if it turns out it doesn't I might need someone to PM me the HTML for this year's app. I'll post again tonight once it's up.
I would do it, but I'm computer-retarded. I'm sure crumpetsandtea would be willing, though, and I can help as needed.
I would indeed be more than willing...I'm not sure what getting the HTML for this year's app entails, but I'll just ask curry on gchat :P

Thank you SO MUCH, shatra. So glad you're still checking these forums. I hope you ROCK 1L. :mrgreen:

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Eagerly waiting for this... :D

shatra

Bronze

Post by shatra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Alright, it's up --LinkRemoved--. A few disclaimers: (1) I can't test it since I don't have any applications this year, so you guys will have to let me know if it still works, and if it doesn't, it sounds like I already have a few volunteers to help me with the data I'll need to fix it. :) (2) I'm an aerospace engineer, not a programmer, so I don't promise perfection but I'll do my best to fix any problems. (3) I have the first half of my first final on Thursday so I might be a little slow getting problems fixed until then, but if I can't fix it during the week I should definitely have time this weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm

shatra wrote:Alright, it's up --LinkRemoved--. A few disclaimers: (1) I can't test it since I don't have any applications this year, so you guys will have to let me know if it still works, and if it doesn't, it sounds like I already have a few volunteers to help me with the data I'll need to fix it. :) (2) I'm an aerospace engineer, not a programmer, so I don't promise perfection but I'll do my best to fix any problems. (3) I have the first half of my first final on Thursday so I might be a little slow getting problems fixed until then, but if I can't fix it during the week I should definitely have time this weekend.
Confirmed the following work (using Android app):

BC
Wm+Mary
Fordham
NYU
Northwestern
USC (Gould)
Wake Forest

What are the chances you could scrape other areas of the checker? For example: William and Mary put "Congratulations: Admit packet mailed" in the mailings section while the status section remains at "Complete".

Any plans to add further to the school list? BU was not on.

I'd be happy to help with some of the workload, though I'm also not a programmer. Do you use CVS/SVN and, if yes, would you be willing to open it up to interested contributors?

shatra

Bronze

Post by shatra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for letting me know it's working. I had originally planned to scrape other areas of the application as well, but once law school started I ran out of time. I don't currently use CVS/SVN, but I'm not adverse to the idea. It will have to wait until after my final this week though. I'm perfectly fine with others contributing, although I warn you now about the mess that is my programming. My husband is a programmer and laughs at it constantly.

Looks like BU has moved to the LSAC tracker, I don't think they were last year. I'll add it in.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 pm

OH MY GOD you are my hero. Also...aerospace engineer? Whats a smart person like you doing in law school? XD

But seriously though. THANK YOU. I am downloading this ASAP when I get home from work today.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 pm

shatra wrote:Thanks for letting me know it's working. I had originally planned to scrape other areas of the application as well, but once law school started I ran out of time. I don't currently use CVS/SVN, but I'm not adverse to the idea. It will have to wait until after my final this week though. I'm perfectly fine with others contributing, although I warn you now about the mess that is my programming. My husband is a programmer and laughs at it constantly.

Looks like BU has moved to the LSAC tracker, I don't think they were last year. I'll add it in.
How long did this take you?

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm

shatra wrote: I'm perfectly fine with others contributing
Just looked back a page or so and saw you mention Python. I may be able to lend more assistance than initially thought...

For the Android app, did you use py2j?

edit: I'm an idiot.
Last edited by mijenks on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you!! Works great for Lewis & Clark, Seattle, Denver, & Pitt.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 pm

I don't know why you aren't charging for this. You would pay for law school. Seriously. In 10 years you will be a millionaire. You have found your golden ticket.

Or are you waiting until you have a firm grasp of IP before you copyright it yourself, and then charge $5 a download.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PinkLemonade

New

Post by PinkLemonade » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Great app, but half of the schools I applied to are not on here!
Emory, BU, IU Bloomington, University of Georgia (has their own status checker)

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you thank you thank you!! Just downloaded - it is wonderful.

shatra

Bronze

Post by shatra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 pm

PinkLemonade wrote:Great app, but half of the schools I applied to are not on here!
If there are schools that this year use the LSAC tracker that didn't last year, PM the link and I'll add it in, and tell you how to update your version. If they use their own status tracker, it's just too much work to add it. :(

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 pm

You just made my cycle much easier to deal with. Thanks!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leacha5

New

Post by leacha5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thank you for doing this.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:42 pm

PinkLemonade wrote:Great app, but half of the schools I applied to are not on here!
Emory doesn't have status checkers.

anozira

New

Post by anozira » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:02 am

Last edited by anozira on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 am

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”