Submitting Additional Documents

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
columbia86

Submitting Additional Documents

Postby columbia86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm

How do you all feel about submitting additional documents to schools that have already received your application. Please provide your rationale.

Thanks.

sch0123

Re: Submitting Additional Documents

Postby sch0123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm curious about this as well... I know some suggest that sending in additional documents before a decision is rendered is a sign of "weakness" in the application, i.e. the applicant put together his initial application hastily. In my case, I'm considering submitting a "why x" to the school that is now my top choice after getting denied at a few places.... I'm thinking it's a good idea but input would be helpful!

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 pm

sch0123 wrote:I'm curious about this as well... I know some suggest that sending in additional documents before a decision is rendered is a sign of "weakness" in the application, i.e. the applicant put together his initial application hastily. In my case, I'm considering submitting a "why x" to the school that is now my top choice after getting denied at a few places.... I'm thinking it's a good idea but input would be helpful!

Bump

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I've submitted several additional documents since applying - one additional transcript and one LOCI letter (I wasn't WL'd, but it had been 3 months and I thought it would be appropriate)

It can be good:
-If you really want them to know you are interested
-I wouldn't worry about looking like you threw your app together. I think schools understand that things change, get updated, are out of you control, etc. As one admin. office secretary told me 'any additional information can only help'
-It can show improvement - if you have done something spectacular since applying, why would you not want them to know?

It can be bad:
-I initially went complete 11/08, but when I submitted my updated transcript it pushed my complete date back to 11/23. This is typical but check with your school, this is probably the biggest downside, IMO
-There are a few posts about 'annoying' the committee... take it or leave it

sch0123

Postby sch0123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like the potential positives outweigh any negatives, at least in the situation I'm in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”