2011 GULC Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msridiculous447

Bronze

Re: 2011 GULC Waitlist

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
Guy wrote:
pwned
cuz a year of work experience and and earlier app arent significant right?
Honestly I don't think a single year of WE is really that big of a deal. A few years or more, sure, but I doubt a year matters much. Plus, if he is going to send an earlier app (say, November), that's only six months from now. Even if he gets a job tomorrow, he'll only have six months WE when he's applying...I'm just not sure how much that really helps.

He has a 166/3.65 and is ending up in the T30 with $$$...that seems like a pretty great cycle. It seems like his admissions cycle worked out as well as one would expect with those numbers. People with 166/3.65 aren't routinely cracking the T14.

grifter1910

New

Post by grifter1910 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:26 pm

planQ wrote:My status checker date changed to 5/12 do anybody think that has any significance?
Mine got changed to 5/11, but I just got the "We'll keep you posted" email from Andy an hour ago. I guess mixed messages are just par for the course. Good luck to us both!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
Guy wrote:
pwned
cuz a year of work experience and and earlier app arent significant right?
Honestly I don't think a single year of WE is really that big of a deal. A few years or more, sure, but I doubt a year matters much. Plus, if he is going to send an earlier app (say, November), that's only six months from now. Even if he gets a job tomorrow, he'll only have six months WE when he's applying...I'm just not sure how much that really helps.

He has a 166/3.65 and is ending up in the T30 with $$$...that seems like a pretty great cycle. It seems like his admissions cycle worked out as well as one would expect with those numbers. People with 166/3.65 aren't routinely cracking the T14.
1 year of WE would vastly improve his chances at Northwestern, but even then the GPA is low. I think getting lots of money from what I assume is BU is a pretty great outcome

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Flips88 wrote: 1 year of WE would vastly improve his chances at Northwestern, but even then the GPA is low. I think getting lots of money from what I assume is BU is a pretty great outcome
Exactly.

Just taking a peek at LSN 166/3.65 is still in solid WL/reject territory at Northwestern, even when the applicants have 1-2 years of WE. And like I said before, getting a year of WE would mean getting a job like...now. Since NU likes to hang its hat on the "95% of our 1Ls have a year of WE when starting law school" statistic, he would have to actually get a job in the next few months to even be included in that 95%.

It just seems like a huge risk to give up a spot at BU/BC (with $$$) with the hopes of finding a job in the next few months to get into Northwestern, where his numbers are still marginal.

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Thu May 12, 2011 5:36 pm

grifter1910 wrote:
planQ wrote:My status checker date changed to 5/12 do anybody think that has any significance?
Mine got changed to 5/11, but I just got the "We'll keep you posted" email from Andy an hour ago. I guess mixed messages are just par for the course. Good luck to us both!
Seems like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

late_app

New

Post by late_app » Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:
Flips88 wrote: 1 year of WE would vastly improve his chances at Northwestern, but even then the GPA is low. I think getting lots of money from what I assume is BU is a pretty great outcome
Exactly.

Just taking a peek at LSN 166/3.65 is still in solid WL/reject territory at Northwestern, even when the applicants have 1-2 years of WE. And like I said before, getting a year of WE would mean getting a job like...now. Since NU likes to hang its hat on the "95% of our 1Ls have a year of WE when starting law school" statistic, he would have to actually get a job in the next few months to even be included in that 95%.

It just seems like a huge risk to give up a spot at BU/BC (with $$$) with the hopes of finding a job in the next few months to get into Northwestern, where his numbers are still marginal.
I wouldn't take that chance...I would however give up $100k for GULC. I know it's a long shot but I'm there on the SPWL and I received the small group "Hopefully my next email starts with Congratulations" email from the Dean so I can still hope...GLTA

grifter1910

New

Post by grifter1910 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 am

I can't get this status checker update out of my head. I know it may not mean a thing (or it might even be the first sign of an upcoming ding), but could other posters who got the "small group" and "hang in there" emails over the past couple of weeks post their Current Status Date? What I'd really like to know is whether GULC updated everybody's status after having reviewed their application for this round of WL admits or whether the change indicates a decision of some sort, positive or negative.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 am

grifter1910 wrote:I can't get this status checker update out of my head. I know it may not mean a thing (or it might even be the first sign of an upcoming ding), but could other posters who got the "small group" and "hang in there" emails over the past couple of weeks post their Current Status Date? What I'd really like to know is whether GULC updated everybody's status after having reviewed their application for this round of WL admits or whether the change indicates a decision of some sort, positive or negative.
I am SPWL, monday small group email, hang in there email. Applied FT. Current status date is 2/28.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 am

grifter1910 wrote:I can't get this status checker update out of my head. I know it may not mean a thing (or it might even be the first sign of an upcoming ding), but could other posters who got the "small group" and "hang in there" emails over the past couple of weeks post their Current Status Date? What I'd really like to know is whether GULC updated everybody's status after having reviewed their application for this round of WL admits or whether the change indicates a decision of some sort, positive or negative.
regular waitlist, small group and hang in there email, status date is still the day I was waitlisted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

840e

New

Post by 840e » Fri May 13, 2011 10:16 am

Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 am

The admissions office told me they don't ding people from the WL. Could be false info, but I'd say any decision is probably an admission.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

jcdc wrote:
The admissions office told me they don't ding people from the WL. Could be false info, but I'd say any decision is probably an admission.

true fax. Have you tried logging on the admitted students site?

j12

Bronze

Post by j12 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:43 am

Magnolia wrote:
I am SPWL, monday small group email, hang in there email. Applied FT. Current status date is 2/28.
Same for me except current status date 3/18

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri May 13, 2011 10:44 am

msridiculous447 wrote:
Exactly.

I don't think youre right about them needing to have a calendar year of WE to get the boost.

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am

okay so to summarize: I'm SPWL, have gotten every possible email (an initial confirm your interest one, a general update on 3/29, a less than encouraging wait-until-May-16th from Dean Cornblatt on 4/15, a confirm-your-interest-because-you-are-in-the-handful-of-spots email from Dean Cornblatt on 4/28, and the 5/10 email from Dean Cornblatt that a lot of people got.) Today, I woke up to an email from Sophia Sim saying that Dean Cornblatt asked her to call me to confirm that my interest is still high, but that she chose to email me because she knew I was on west coast time and probably asleep (I was.) Status checker remains at WL date- 2/28.

Were other people contacted today via phone?

sreichel

Bronze

Post by sreichel » Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 am

cassidylane wrote:okay so to summarize: I'm SPWL, have gotten every possible email (an initial confirm your interest one, a general update on 3/29, a less than encouraging wait-until-May-16th from Dean Cornblatt on 4/15, a confirm-your-interest-because-you-are-in-the-handful-of-spots email from Dean Cornblatt on 4/28, and the 5/10 email from Dean Cornblatt that a lot of people got.) Today, I woke up to an email from Sophia Sim saying that Dean Cornblatt asked her to call me to confirm that my interest is still high, but that she chose to email me because she knew I was on west coast time and probably asleep (I was.) Status checker remains at WL date- 2/28.

No...eff...and i'm west coast too...

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 am

cassidylane wrote:okay so to summarize: I'm SPWL, have gotten every possible email (an initial confirm your interest one, a general update on 3/29, a less than encouraging wait-until-May-16th from Dean Cornblatt on 4/15, a confirm-your-interest-because-you-are-in-the-handful-of-spots email from Dean Cornblatt on 4/28, and the 5/10 email from Dean Cornblatt that a lot of people got.) Today, I woke up to an email from Sophia Sim saying that Dean Cornblatt asked her to call me to confirm that my interest is still high, but that she chose to email me because she knew I was on west coast time and probably asleep (I was.) Status checker remains at WL date- 2/28.

Sounds like congrats?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 am

Perch wrote:

Sounds like congrats?

I guess I'm not quite as optimistic because the status checker hasn't changed and it just seems sort of like an odd thing to do...I'm not denying the personal attention is probably a good sign, I guess I'm just beyond accurate speculation at this point!

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Fri May 13, 2011 12:40 pm

sreichel wrote:

My feelings too.

sreichel

Bronze

Post by sreichel » Fri May 13, 2011 12:53 pm

planQ wrote:
sreichel wrote:

My feelings too.
On the other hand though.... I did recently write an email that definitely expresses my interest. I'm going to go with "they didn't feel the need to call since my email clearly answers that question". Yay for optimism

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri May 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Honestly Id be a little pissed if I got a call and got excited and then it consisted only of "tell us your interest level."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Fri May 13, 2011 1:38 pm

splitmuch wrote:Honestly Id be a little pissed if I got a call and got excited and then it consisted only of "tell us your interest level."
On the other hand one of the other schools that accepted me off the wait list did the same thing then called the next day with good news.

gfunkera86

New

Post by gfunkera86 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 pm

regular waitlist but have been receiving all the small group emails including the one a few days ago - status checker still reads 3/11 though (day I was waitlisted)

grifter1910

New

Post by grifter1910 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm

loblaw wrote:
jcdc wrote:

true fax. Have you tried logging on the admitted students site?
Just tried the admitted students site:

"Your username and password could not be generated at this time. Please double-check that the information you entered was correct."

Turns out the status checker automatically updates when they perform certain actions on the application, not necessarily a final decision. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

noncontributingzero

New

Post by noncontributingzero » Fri May 13, 2011 4:51 pm

I am getting more and more anxious as the days pass. Any guesses on how many spots are going to open up in the next few weeks?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”