BC, BU or Cornell

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elm84dr

Re: BC, BU or Cornell

Postby elm84dr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I haven't gotten an award YET from Cornell, but I was told it was on the way. IF they match BC...is it worth it? I also went to BC undergrad, which is usually good when it comes to the hiring. I don't know though, my friends that graduated from BU and BC respectively said that I will find a job in Boston no doubt. The only reason Boston is a bastion for BC recruits is because soooo many stay there. As opposed to Cornell, where a lot of people go to NYC. For instance, there are even more BC and BU people in Boston than Harvard, but that is not to say the Harvard grads are not getting jobs, just they choose to spread out. Either way, I am going to the April 8th Admit day in Ithaca, and still waiting on Georgetown and Duke. We shall see.

KMaine wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Really, it comes down to how bad OP wants to work in Boston post law school. Cornell is NOT the best choice considering the money if Boston is where OP wants to be. If the legal market wasn't in the state it is in, BC places 40 percent in Boston biglaw. Considering the legal market, it pays more to be coming out of BC in Boston than Cornell - you've got a bunch of BC law grads doing the hiring and they are going to pick the BC kids all day long.

I am sorry, I just can't agree with this. I think top 40% from Cornell gets Boston biglaw with ties NOW. Considering the money, I would probably go to BC if I were OP. But you seem to be saying that a similarly situated BC grad will always do better in Boston than a Cornell kid with Boston ties, and I just don't buy it. Name the class rank - top 10%, top 20%, top 30%, or top 50%, I still give Cornell the advantage, even in Boston, but certainly in terms of keeping options open for ANY job that will pay back the loans.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:54 pm

If they match, I would go to Cornell, more fall back options. Your Boston ties should suffice for a job in Boston coming out of Cornell. I am not saying you are likely to end up unemployed if you go to BC and don't finish high in the class, I am just saying going to Cornell will not hurt your job opportunities in Boston and will give you a greater chance of making market somewhere.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 am

bump...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am

As a black, latino male with solid qualifications, you should receive decent money from Cornell. Wait for Cornell's offer & visit all three law schools before deciding.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:09 am

UPDATE: I got a FULL RIDE at BU...still no $$$ from Cornell, though I know it is going to come. But if Cornell will leave me still in about $60,000 in debt, is it worth it?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am

This choice should be easy now. You want to be in Boston and a great school in Boston gave you a full ride. BU all the way. Interested to see what Cornell gives you. Butbit would need to be quite substantial to outweigh a fulll ride to BU

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:54 am

bk1 wrote:I think BC/BU CoA would need to be 100k or less for me to take it over Cornell at sticker.

+1. And between BC/BU, I would just take the cheaper (leverage scholarships at both). Everyone's musing about which is better in Boston or beyond is splitting hairs.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am

OP you also need to weigh in the intangibles beyond $$ if your goal is truly to end up in Boston. Its a very insular market and by being in the city itself, you have endless opportunity to network, meet up with BU alumni, work the contacts that the professors give you (many of which will be in Boston) etc. If you have a paricular city in mind, you should do whatever you can to end up in that city. A full ride makes it that much easier

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

Any other insight on this? I love Cornell, and really like BU...the full ride makes me LOVE it!

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:42 am

elm84dr wrote:Any other insight on this? I love Cornell, and really like BU...the full ride makes me LOVE it!

I'd take the $.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:50 am

That full ride is an awesome deal. I would wait on Cornell, but would not consider it with less than 1/2 scholarship (I would probably only go to Cornell with about 100K to be honest). This is from a big Cornell supporter: wanting Boston and graduating from BU Law with little debt is a good place to be.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Heres to hoping Cornell can come close to matching it---still waiting for the BU package to come in the mail, got the call from the dean, even called today to make sure I wasn't daydreaming, I wasn't.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:07 pm

elm84dr wrote:Heres to hoping Cornell can come close to matching it---still waiting for the BU package to come in the mail, got the call from the dean, even called today to make sure I wasn't daydreaming, I wasn't.

BU Law for free is a pretty sweet deal. Congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”