Waitlisted at GW Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Peg

Bronze

Waitlisted at GW

Post by Peg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am

This is for everyone on the GW waitlist, FT or PT. I'm annoyed as hell that I'm on it, though not too surprised, and will do anything to get off it. I will even offer to shovel snow off the campus during the winter, if they get that much snow.

Anyone written a LOCI yet? How deep do they dig into the waitlist each year, approximately?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Re: Waitlisted at GW

Post by LSAT Taker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am

Peg wrote:This is for everyone on the GW waitlist, FT or PT. I'm annoyed as hell that I'm on it, though not too surprised, and will do anything to get off it. I will even offer to shovel snow off the campus during the winter, if they get that much snow.

Anyone written a LOCI yet? How deep do they dig into the waitlist each year, approximately?
WLed (FT) several weeks ago. I haven't written, and probably will not write a LOCI. I kind of like D.C. and the Foggy Bottom area, but COA/COL is just ridiculous.

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 am

[/quote]
WLed (FT) several weeks ago. I haven't written, and probably will not write a LOCI. I kind of like D.C. and the Foggy Bottom area, but COA/COL is just ridiculous.[/quote]

+1

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am

The costs of everything were weighing me down too, but I love D.C. so much (to an almost un-deserved extent) that I will probably pay sticker if I get GW. I don't know how likely my chances are to get off the waitlist though - FT, 3.1/168. I'll definitely be composing a LOCI as soon as I can think of how to say, "I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR YOU, ANYTHING" without sounding, you know, desperate.

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Aaaaaaaand this thread begins....

I'm gonna go ahead and quote myself from the other thread:

dcbound wrote:This is me being insanely neurotic. But I'm kind of feeling like since this thread is not quite as popular as lower ranked school's threads, then the trend may be that not as many people plan on attending. Coupled with their stinginess on schollies, the high COA and COL, the school's large class, and the cycle's drop in overall applications; then maybe us WL'rs have a good shot at seeing some decent movement.

Already seeing a couple of the comments on this thread, well, I'm just saying. Also, don't let numbers get you down TOO much. Remember that they explicitly state that they do not rank their watilist. So (seemingly) they will not only look at the highest numbers first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClosetStateSchooler

New

Post by ClosetStateSchooler » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Yeah I'm a little bitter about it too. They do get a ton of applications though so don't get too down on yourself. Write a nice LOCI.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:50 pm

My absurd split got WL'ed. I'm probably withdrawing my app. No way in hell I'm paying sticker + DC COL over a 60k scholarship from WUSTL. I think I prefer the east coast, but not that much. Good luck to everyone.

apple1234

New

Post by apple1234 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Ugh +1 :roll:

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 pm

assuming you get off the WL at GW, they probably will never offer $, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Not a chance that they'll offer people scholarships off the waitlist. Misers.
dcbound wrote:This is me being insanely neurotic. But I'm kind of feeling like since this thread is not quite as popular as lower ranked school's threads, then the trend may be that not as many people plan on attending. Coupled with their stinginess on schollies, the high COA and COL, the school's large class, and the cycle's drop in overall applications; then maybe us WL'rs have a good shot at seeing some decent movement.
I hadn't thought about that. I hope you're right. (Pleaseberightpleaseberightpleaseberight...)

And yeah, I got some pretty nice scholly offers from Midwestern law schools, but they are regional schools (WUSTL, UMN, etc) I'm not interested in the region. Vitally important to the American economy, salt of the earth, best people in the world no doubt, definitely better manners than New Yorkers, but going to any one of those schools makes me run the risk of maybe having to take a job in the Midwest. Not only is the culture really different but I'd be away from my friends and family unless I got top grades and made it to the East Coast, which is a huge gamble to make your LS decision on. Granted, GW isn't such a hot school that I am guaranteed some East Coast back-up job offer, but somehow I feel the odds are better.

And I love D.C. like a...like a manga fangirl loves manga. :oops: Add Foggy Bottom to that and I'm dying for GW.

With all that said...if I don't get GW I might end up in the Midwest after all.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

I was WL'd yesterday...three days after my visit to campus, stoking my love for GW and reminding me why I love DC so much. Cruel twist of fates in my mind.

I haven't sent a LOCI yet, but I think I will. Does anyone know if people have EVER been offered $$ off the list?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Waistlist #4...FML

probably withdrawing off this one in the near future. No desire for east coast.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:29 pm

+1 for waitlisters. I got waitlisted for PT a couple weeks ago. I emailed back day of thanking them and requesting that they consider me for both PT and FT going forward. Then I drafted a LOCI and mailed it in with a hand-written cover letter that I wrote using a calligraphic dip pen and sent it first class... should've been delivered around last Friday.

I really like D.C. :o

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:34 pm

tag

WL like 3 weeks ago. BOO!

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 am

I've been trying to figure out how to write a LOCI that isn't a repeat of my "Why GW" essay, which was already part of my original application (and I got WL-ed anyway, :( ).

Let's brainstorm. What are GW's selling points besides IP and its location?

Damn. I can't think of any. This is embarrassing because I really want to go to this school.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am

Peg wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to write a LOCI that isn't a repeat of my "Why GW" essay, which was already part of my original application (and I got WL-ed anyway, :( ).

Damn. I can't think of any. This is embarrassing because I really want to go to this school.
Are there any professors there that you particularly like? Or any specific clinicals or externship opportunities? I find those to be good elements in a letter.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 am

Peg wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to write a LOCI that isn't a repeat of my "Why GW" essay, which was already part of my original application (and I got WL-ed anyway, :( ).

you could go with a government procurement angle. we're big on that, and we're super conveniently located to jobs in that field.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FAR262

New

Post by FAR262 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:I was WL'd yesterday...three days after my visit to campus, stoking my love for GW and reminding me why I love DC so much. Cruel twist of fates in my mind.

I haven't sent a LOCI yet, but I think I will. Does anyone know if people have EVER been offered $$ off the list?
I seriously doubt anyone off the waitlist will get merit $, it seems very few of us that have gotten accepted already got $ and my financial aid officer told me they probably won't be giving out any more. However, GW seems to give out a lot more need-based aid than merit based aid and the officer told me that they keep giving need based aid out until fall so I don't think getting in off the WL would put you at much of a disadvantage for that.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:19 pm

LS-boundNYC and sibley, thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of looking up the professors as well.

And thank god, I might definitely ask for that need-based aid if I am lucky enough to get off the wait list.

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

I think the important thing, and this is according to a friend who graduated from GW law last year, is for you to reaffirm your desire to attend GW on a consistent basis. You don't have to come up with unique info about why GW is so perfect for you every time you write, especially if you included a why GW in your initial application. I know they waitlist a lot of people (including yours truly), and those who eventually get accepted are surely individuals who continue to reiterate their feelings about the school...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 am

FAR262 wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:I was WL'd yesterday...three days after my visit to campus, stoking my love for GW and reminding me why I love DC so much. Cruel twist of fates in my mind.

I seriously doubt anyone off the waitlist will get merit $, it seems very few of us that have gotten accepted already got $ and my financial aid officer told me they probably won't be giving out any more. However, GW seems to give out a lot more need-based aid than merit based aid and the officer told me that they keep giving need based aid out until fall so I don't think getting in off the WL would put you at much of a disadvantage for that.
I was on the WL at Fordham and they let me in with more money than GW gave me (and I was accepted at GW as part of the regular cycle). I'm not sure that means that WL money is possible or if GW is stingy, but there ya go...

Maybe you can add to your LOCI that you LOVE having no free time and want to go to GW because you'll only have 2 weeks off for winter break and then you'll get to do your journal competition during your spring break so you won't be wasting any time with anything silly like fun or sleep or exercise?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 am

sch0123 wrote: I think the important thing, and this is according to a friend who graduated from GW law last year, is for you to reaffirm your desire to attend GW on a consistent basis. You don't have to come up with unique info about why GW is so perfect for you every time you write, especially if you included a why GW in your initial application. I know they waitlist a lot of people (including yours truly), and those who eventually get accepted are surely individuals who continue to reiterate their feelings about the school...

Yeah, I couldn't come up with a ton of things to say (apart from the 3-4 I already said in my "Why GW" essay) so my LOCI was basically, "HI I LOVE YOU PLEASE ADMIT ME" and about my unimpressive new job which I tried to spin as impressive.

Also had a new LOR snail mailed in by a UG professor. I don't know if those letters seriously mean anything to adcomms, but it's better than nothing.

Will it look obsessive/stalker-ish if I send a brief LOCI every two weeks? I can sort of imagine it going like this:

1. "Hi, I am just writing to reaffirm my continued interest in GW Law. This is still my number one school."

2. "Hi, I'm still here. This is just to let you know I haven't changed my mind since March."

3. "Hi, I open my inbox 10000 times a day to see if you sent me an update on my status."

Is one LOCI every two weeks inappropriate? What if I send one every three weeks and keep it brief, like 3-4 sentences?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I was waitlisted about 6 weeks ago but was out of the country for four of those weeks. Is the fact that I haven't sent a LOCI yet but am going to tomorrow going to kill me? :cry:

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:01 pm

law4vus wrote:I was waitlisted about 6 weeks ago but was out of the country for four of those weeks. Is the fact that I haven't sent a LOCI yet but am going to tomorrow going to kill me? :cry:
Actually, I think you should be fine. It's not rolling admissions anymore - they won't even open our files again until May or something, so as long as you get a LOCI in by April I don't think it'll make a huge difference to them.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Does anyone know what GW thinks about waitlisted applicants sending in more LORs? Tried calling them but no answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”