Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

placed on the waitlist today after CR1. Thought I would start this thread for others in the same boat. I think I will wait it out until the bitter end... Berkeley is my #1 choice.

Anybody else planning to wait it out?

bruinkid8
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby bruinkid8 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:58 pm

i am planning on waiting it out. Is it true that waitlist candidates are ranked? Do they publish the rankings?

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Waitlist is ranked. In May you can call and find out what quartile your rank falls. (This is what they did last at least)

molomloch
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby molomloch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Got WL'd...as I got accepted by Michigan last week, I may or may not end up waiting it out. I'm California grown, and want to end up here. That said, Berkeley (the city) is a hell hole, so I'm not too dejected by the news that I probably won't end up there (my first choice though it was).

User avatar
whatshouldIdo11
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby whatshouldIdo11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Just got WL'd after CR 1. Is it true that Berkeley rarely wait lists people? If that's the case, we really were close. Still sucks though.

singwhatisaid
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby singwhatisaid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Also waitlisted today -- did we get e-mails, or did all of us find out through the status checker?

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

singwhatisaid wrote:Also waitlisted today -- did we get e-mails, or did all of us find out through the status checker?


still waiting on the email... hoping it will have some more information about what to expect from here.

anybody care to swap stats in PM?

singwhatisaid
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby singwhatisaid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

mistermister wrote:
singwhatisaid wrote:Also waitlisted today -- did we get e-mails, or did all of us find out through the status checker?


still waiting on the email... hoping it will have some more information about what to expect from here.

anybody care to swap stats in PM?


mine are up on LSN - same username. feel free to share by PM or on the thread.

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 pm

has anybody gotten an email notification? seems like dings and acceptance emails went out same time the status checkers updated. my guess is they're waiting until close of business to dodge all the immediate waitlist questions.

bullentini
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby bullentini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

I called the office. We're ranked. They will be sending an email with your rank shortly. If you read the interview with Dean Tom, he talks about what the waitlist means. http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

grr. still no email... I hope they didn't go home for the day and leave this for tomorrow!

subversion
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby subversion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I was put on the waitlist off of faculty review. I have hope that they will accept me. By the way, there is 2 waitlists: a california-residents/non-residents one.

bullentini
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby bullentini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm

subversion wrote:I was put on the waitlist off of faculty review. I have hope that they will accept me. By the way, there is 2 waitlists: a california-residents/non-residents one.

Where did you hear that?
Has anyone found any Berkeley waitlist forums from past years.

User avatar
firework
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby firework » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm


mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 am

If I understand correctly, the waitlist is a product of Faculty Review only. There's no 3rd round, is there? Does that mean the waitlist is complete?

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby suspicious android » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I stopped thinking about Berkeley when I didn't get in via CR last moth, but in the last couple days I have officially become interested in my chances of getting off the waitlist.

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm

does anybody have any insight on the methodology used to rank the waitlist? particularly sorting the people from CR1 and CR2 together

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby expat17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 am

has anyone called to see if the waitlist rank is out yet? i know they said may ... but we're approaching it so maybe ...

User avatar
firework
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby firework » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 am

I'm planning on inquiring next Monday if they have an idea how deep they will go into the waitlist given their first commitment date is this Friday.

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 pm

I wish all schools did their waitlist like Berkeley. I think its such a more logical process.

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby expat17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:40 am

thanks firework - that's just what i was thinking. at least some anecdotal info about commitment response rate would be nice ...

i guess what we might have on our side is an improving economy? hopefully some people just want to keep those jobs instead of live the lowly student life 3 more years ...

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby mistermister » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 am

expat17 wrote:thanks firework - that's just what i was thinking. at least some anecdotal info about commitment response rate would be nice ...

i guess what we might have on our side is an improving economy? hopefully some people just want to keep those jobs instead of live the lowly student life 3 more years ...


also, the miserable California economy. UC tuition is pretty much for sure going to increase each of the next three years. That was a big point of concern at other UC ASWs. Maybe people will use that against Boalt, especially in a year they dropped in the rankings. (Very wishful thinking here... haha)

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 am

just withdrew...it was painful tbh, but i really hope someone here gets my spot!

User avatar
firework
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby firework » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 am

mistermister wrote:
expat17 wrote:thanks firework - that's just what i was thinking. at least some anecdotal info about commitment response rate would be nice ...

i guess what we might have on our side is an improving economy? hopefully some people just want to keep those jobs instead of live the lowly student life 3 more years ...


also, the miserable California economy. UC tuition is pretty much for sure going to increase each of the next three years. That was a big point of concern at other UC ASWs. Maybe people will use that against Boalt, especially in a year they dropped in the rankings. (Very wishful thinking here... haha)


I've been thinking/hoping the same thing. I'm all for the California economy taking a dive if it means it will scare some potential future boalties away :wink:

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Postby expat17 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 am

"Commitment" was due from those admitted on Friday! Anyone in the mood to give AdComs a ring and see how it's looking for all us WLers? :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”