IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby bdubs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Got a letter from USC over the weekend me zero money. Will be withdrawing soon. Best of luck to all of you!


Wow, surprised to hear that. FYI for anyone interested I got $30k over 3 years. I sent in my withdrawal this morning.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 pm

To the 4/1 crew:

Just got off the phone with admissions office. They said they had some "problems" generating our student ID numbers and that's why we haven't gotten our email for the admitted student website or the email for scholarships/fin-aid. She said the issue was resolved and we should be getting the student ID email soon, which will allow us to access the website. Once the student ID # is generated, the fin-aid people will become aware of our existence, after which we will get an email about fin-aid. Once we submit that info, she said it's a few day turn around until we get info about possible money.

NotImportant
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby NotImportant » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:36 pm

snichols16 wrote:To the 4/1 crew:

Just got off the phone with admissions office. They said they had some "problems" generating our student ID numbers and that's why we haven't gotten our email for the admitted student website or the email for scholarships/fin-aid. She said the issue was resolved and we should be getting the student ID email soon, which will allow us to access the website. Once the student ID # is generated, the fin-aid people will become aware of our existence, after which we will get an email about fin-aid. Once we submit that info, she said it's a few day turn around until we get info about possible money.



Thanks for doing the leg work. Much appreciated!

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 pm

NotImportant wrote:
snichols16 wrote:To the 4/1 crew:

Just got off the phone with admissions office. They said they had some "problems" generating our student ID numbers and that's why we haven't gotten our email for the admitted student website or the email for scholarships/fin-aid. She said the issue was resolved and we should be getting the student ID email soon, which will allow us to access the website. Once the student ID # is generated, the fin-aid people will become aware of our existence, after which we will get an email about fin-aid. Once we submit that info, she said it's a few day turn around until we get info about possible money.



Thanks for doing the leg work. Much appreciated!


No worries. I just received the portal email about 20 minutes ago. Seems everything is moving along now.

User avatar
Stupendous_Man
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Stupendous_Man » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 am

To those of you attending the Admit Day on Friday, I'm very excited to meet you! It's gonna be a blast.

User avatar
jbubin
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby jbubin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Just got my USC acceptance yesterday!! (DF 4/1) Filled out the scholarship info this morning - wondered if anyone knows about the scholarship reservation deadline. Is that a date scholarships must be accepted by, or that you'll be notified by? No way I can pay the whole way, filled out the FAFSA in January and applied in November - any chance they're still handing out dolla dollas?

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby daydreamer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Does anyone know how USC feels about people requesting to defer their admission for a year?

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby innernetp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 pm

daydreamer wrote:Does anyone know how USC feels about people requesting to defer their admission for a year?


It depends on the reason - if you're going into the military or doing something like TFA then it's okay. Your scholarship is released and then reconsidered against the next class. I have very similar stats to you and will most likely be deferring but sadly there's no way to determine if I'll get the same package again. GL

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby daydreamer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:12 am

innernetp wrote:
daydreamer wrote:Does anyone know how USC feels about people requesting to defer their admission for a year?


It depends on the reason - if you're going into the military or doing something like TFA then it's okay. Your scholarship is released and then reconsidered against the next class. I have very similar stats to you and will most likely be deferring but sadly there's no way to determine if I'll get the same package again. GL



I see, that makes sense. If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on doing in your year off?

n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby n_gal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am

anyone accept their scholly offer yet? I sent an email yesterday but haven't gotten any response I'm not worried yet but I'm just wondering if I should keep an eye out for one or not, I definitely do not want to loose that money!

User avatar
cslopez5
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby cslopez5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:10 pm

n_gal wrote:anyone accept their scholly offer yet? I sent an email yesterday but haven't gotten any response I'm not worried yet but I'm just wondering if I should keep an eye out for one or not, I definitely do not want to loose that money!


hey i asked a similar question in the other USC thread and someone told me that it took the school 1.5 weeks to get a confirmation :? i submitted mine last friday and am still waiting for a reply as well, it would be nice to get one before the 18th though

n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby n_gal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:15 pm

cslopez5 wrote:
n_gal wrote:anyone accept their scholly offer yet? I sent an email yesterday but haven't gotten any response I'm not worried yet but I'm just wondering if I should keep an eye out for one or not, I definitely do not want to loose that money!


hey i asked a similar question in the other USC thread and someone told me that it took the school 1.5 weeks to get a confirmation :? i submitted mine last friday and am still waiting for a reply as well, it would be nice to get one before the 18th though


Hmm, thanks that's good to know. If I haven't heard back by the 17th I may call to confirm the received it I'm sure they did but I don't want to take any chances!

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby neonx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Dear friends,

I was just extended the Rothman offer this morning! This is very exciting news for me.
The interview made me fall in love with Los Angeles!
It's going to be a very difficult decision process, but I just want to share that
USC just became a real possibility and that I may see y'all this fall.

<3

User avatar
Redsgomarchingon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

neonx wrote:Dear friends,

I was just extended the Rothman offer this morning! This is very exciting news for me.
The interview made me fall in love with Los Angeles!
It's going to be a very difficult decision process, but I just want to share that
USC just became a real possibility and that I may see y'all this fall.

<3


congrats man!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

neonx wrote:Dear friends,

I was just extended the Rothman offer this morning! This is very exciting news for me.
The interview made me fall in love with Los Angeles!
It's going to be a very difficult decision process, but I just want to share that
USC just became a real possibility and that I may see y'all this fall.

<3


I think you will be a few clicks north ;)

But ya congrats!!!

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Did anyone else just get an email from financial aid regarding the total aid package (scholarships and loans) being available online?

NotImportant
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby NotImportant » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I just got the same email.

n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby n_gal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 pm

me too

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby glitter178 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 pm

i got it too. confused about how to accept the loans. due to recent events with UCLA :roll: , it has been decided for me that i'll be attending USC next year

NotImportant
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby NotImportant » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

There was no mention of scholarship $ in mine. I assume I am to take that to mean that I will not be getting any.

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

.

Postby V811 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 pm

.
Last edited by V811 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby glitter178 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 pm

V811 wrote:Crap I just got the email....scholly info is listed on the portal usc.edu/finaid website, correct?

If so, I havent been offered a scholly and they estimate my family contribution to be $53K after stafford loans....wtf? My fathers income is $23K/year and my mothers is $0. Where did they come up with that number?

I did personally make $49K last year, is that the reason my estimated family contribution is so high? So estimated "family" contribution is really estimated "student" contribution?


yes. they are going to look at your income.

User avatar
Redsgomarchingon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 pm

so if we have EFC left over, are we suppose to find private loans ourselves, or is this covered by the Fed. Direct Stafford Loan and Grad PLUS loan referred to in the email?

Juuuulie
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Juuuulie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Please don't take this as gospel, because I might be leading everyone astray, but this is my understanding:

On the first page of the site, under "awards" they will show any scholarships they are offering, plus the two Stafford loans (that together add up to 20500 on my page). So, to use me as an example, that means that 30500 is accounted for out of their cost-of-attendance of 73 something (I will be living outside of USC housing).

On the "manage my contributions" page, you'll have the option to plug in as much of the remaining you want to take out in the PLUS loan. The USC payments are if you have the cash to pay out of pocket. So, if you take their word for how much it will cost, you will need to cover 73 something between scholarships, cash, and loans.

I hope this makes sense.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 pm

glitter178 wrote:i got it too. confused about how to accept the loans. due to recent events with UCLA :roll: , it has been decided for me that i'll be attending USC next year


Sorry to hear about UCLA, but I guess we'll be classmates at USC in the fall! Anyone else pretty set on 'SC?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests