In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starrydreamz3

Silver

In at NYU

Post by starrydreamz3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:17 pm

I wanted to start a topic where we could discuss purple envelopes, lolcats, and other nonimportant stuff like ASW, scholarships, etc.

So I'll start this off with something that is very relevant to where we might spend the next 3 years.

texaskk

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by texaskk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 pm

yay for purple envelopes! any idea when ASW will be? I wish they had sent more info/swag in the packet...

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 pm

texaskk wrote:yay for purple envelopes! any idea when ASW will be? I wish they had sent more info/swag in the packet...
Last year it was March 3rd and 4th, so it'll probably be around there.

And agreed, the acceptance packet was lacking a bit in information/free stuff.

ela7117

New

Post by ela7117 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Also curious about the date for asw. I am excited about the nyu acceptance, but having lived in NYC before very concerned about the cost burden. As a borderline candidate, Didnt apply for the unique scholarships outlined in the application, therefore am I definitely looking at full sticker?

The nyu website seems to imply there may be other merit aid available, but it's not very clear. I doubt I would qualify for much need based.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I won't lie, I was kind of disappointed to open my purple envelope and find two pieces of paper. Lots of stress and anxiety could have been avoided if they had done status checkers AND email decisions this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:44 am

obrienfa wrote:I won't lie, I was kind of disappointed to open my purple envelope and find two pieces of paper. Lots of stress and anxiety could have been avoided if they had done status checkers AND email decisions this year.
Very true! So far Duke's been the only one to send me a fun package since I didn't apply to Mich. But then again, some of my friends JUST took the LSAT and are just starting the whole process, and some people have applied and aren't in anywhere yet, so I'm really grateful to have a solid list of acceptances.

Congrats to everyone in this thread! Can't wait until ASW!!!

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 am

if we DID apply for a scholly, do our apps magically get passed to the relevant committee now? i am irrationally worried.

muppet263

New

Post by muppet263 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 am

Also wondering about aid decisions - does anyone know when the folks who got the named scholarships were told last year; and whether unnamed merit aid was also distributed at that time?

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

bkhopeful wrote:if we DID apply for a scholly, do our apps magically get passed to the relevant committee now? i am irrationally worried.
I think that's the plan. Crossing fingers for AnBryce. Also, I think I love NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 pm

timmna wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:if we DID apply for a scholly, do our apps magically get passed to the relevant committee now? i am irrationally worried.
I think that's the plan. Crossing fingers for AnBryce. Also, I think I love NYU.
ME TOO. Applied for RTK. Here's hoping for both of us!

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:47 pm

muppet263 wrote:Also wondering about aid decisions - does anyone know when the folks who got the named scholarships were told last year; and whether unnamed merit aid was also distributed at that time?
There is a thread from last year discussing NYU scholarships. Maybe try there? I just skimmed through it and don't remember any details.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 am

Someone posted on the NYU thread today, and apparently they notify finalists in March and announce the recipients in April. So we have a while... I still <3 NYU though!!!

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:29 am

Anyone apply for IILJ?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:27 pm

jd2014! wrote:Anyone apply for IILJ?
Here. But I don't like the essay I wrote. I threw it together in about a half hour casue I just wanted to submit my app. Think I could send in a new essay?

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 pm

bleedblue wrote:
Here. But I don't like the essay I wrote. I threw it together in about a half hour casue I just wanted to submit my app. Think I could send in a new essay?

Hm. If it is going to be substantially better/have a better message etc. I wouldn't if you are just going to spruce up the writing a bit. They already have a writing sample in your PS, so if you communicated yourself well as to why you are a good fit, but maybe have some typos, I'd leave it as is.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm

jd2014! wrote:
bleedblue wrote:

Hm. If it is going to be substantially better/have a better message etc. I wouldn't if you are just going to spruce up the writing a bit. They already have a writing sample in your PS, so if you communicated yourself well as to why you are a good fit, but maybe have some typos, I'd leave it as is.
Well since I wrote it I have come up with a specific, innovative idea for what I want to do in international law, but it might be too crazy of an idea to even write about. So I'm not sure.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I haven't been admitted yet (fingers crossed), but I'm considering sending a new essay for the Root-Tilden-Kern application. I specified that I'd like my personal statement to serve as my RTK essay, but I'm thinking a new one would show more commitment. Any thoughts? Also, as a borderline candidate/splitter, am I deluding myself in thinking I have any shot at RTK?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:54 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I haven't been admitted yet (fingers crossed), but I'm considering sending a new essay for the Root-Tilden-Kern application. I specified that I'd like my personal statement to serve as my RTK essay, but I'm thinking a new one would show more commitment. Any thoughts? Also, as a borderline candidate/splitter, am I deluding myself in thinking I have any shot at RTK?
It's a long shot for any candidate--they're just super competitive. But since the decision isn't going to be an entirely numbers-based one, what do you have to lose? I would submit the additional essay. I called this morning to ask if it was too late to submit (for Furman), and they were very nice about it and said to fax it over by January 1. Seems like it's worth a shot, even if the odds are against us. Good luck!

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Ok, I want free stuff and a booklet to look through.

Does anyone know if/when we can expect some more goodies in the mail?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm not 100% sure that I'll be at NYU next year, but looking at some of these pictures of the library really makes me want to be there :mrgreen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericejohns ... otostream/

NYUSpartan

New

Post by NYUSpartan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 pm

muppet263 wrote:Also wondering about aid decisions - does anyone know when the folks who got the named scholarships were told last year; and whether unnamed merit aid was also distributed at that time?
I'm a current 1L at NYU. I got a modest Deans Award scholarship and got notification of it on April 6 after doing all the financial aid stuff in February or March.

I didn't apply for the big named scholarships like the Root-Tilden, but I can tell you that at least some of the finalists were interviewing for them at ASW in late March.

If you don't get a named scholarship or whatnot make sure to apply for financial aid and let NYU know about any aid you are offered at other schools. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I got them to give me anything.

Alright back to studying for the crim exam tomorrow. Congrats on being accepted!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 am

TLSNYC wrote:I'm not 100% sure that I'll be at NYU next year, but looking at some of these pictures of the library really makes me want to be there :mrgreen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericejohns ... otostream/
<3 Can't wait!

annie2010

Bronze

Post by annie2010 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:43 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:Ok, I want free stuff and a booklet to look through.

Does anyone know if/when we can expect some more goodies in the mail?
The lack of goodies (like a nice lanyard ya know?) is dissapointing! Duke really set the bar high with that little notepad thing and allll of those booklets. Loved it.

I'm just going to have to go down there myself and buy something.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 pm

In. Also an RTK applicant.

pocketwatcher

New

Post by pocketwatcher » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Random question--wanted to send in my intention to enroll form in a nice envelope, along with a letter printed on nice resume paper. Okay to fold the intent to enroll form? Feels little bit like defacing it when they send it in that nice purple envelope...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”