IN AT UPENN Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Re: IN AT UPENN

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Eek, Bayrex and his mock class reading email!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 pm

C'mon Penn... You've been my dream school ever since I visited Philly last year. All you have to do is make an offer comparable to Duke's, and I will be yours lol.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Eek, Bayrex and his mock class reading email!
+1. :shock: -> :x

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm

for scholarship negotiation, do you think we should use their embedded website form or is there a financial aid email we should use?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 am

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I'm sorry I just got in today. my bad.

Ur 2/10
167/3.92 (URM), Pretty good softs (military, legal field, worked in various countries, masters etc)
Ok so come and visit next week :)
I told Texas I was going there they even bought me a plane ticket. I would kinda feel like a jerk. But I will be coming for one of those specials days though or when I visit Harvard. We should get together then.

Edit: Penn is Friday and Saturday right? Would I still get the stipend if I get in Friday night and stay for the Saturday portion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:46 am

The Gentleman wrote:C'mon Penn... You've been my dream school ever since I visited Philly last year. All you have to do is make an offer comparable to Duke's Uva's, and I will be yours lol.
+1

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:12 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I told Texas I was going there they even bought me a plane ticket. I would kinda feel like a jerk. But I will be coming for one of those specials days though or when I visit Harvard. We should get together then.

Edit: Penn is Friday and Saturday right? Would I still get the stipend if I get in Friday night and stay for the Saturday portion?
You should call Bayrex and find out. I was going to do the TX/Penn thing but I have too much stuff at work/school to pull it off. The preview day is the Sat of Berkeley's ASW. I guess I will see you there unless you make it this Friday.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:12 pm

sarahlawg wrote:for scholarship negotiation, do you think we should use their embedded website form or is there a financial aid email we should use?
I'd email the financial aid office or the scholarship@ email.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am

So, its 9:44 AM on Monday, and no one has started fretting scholarship offers? Figure I might as well get this party started.

Penn, it is my birthday, please make me a happy man...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 am

So I didn't post this because I was on spring break, but I got an email with my finaid stuff on Thursday at around 4 PM EST (but I got the levy so it was pretty simple).

ETA: And I got in on 12/17.
Last edited by 4102011 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 am

Please confirm or deny. If site says no need based aid does that mean you are shut out of Merit Aid or is that a separate letter? I sent an offer from Cornell last week but haven't gotten anything yet. Please Penn, just a few $$$. I think I am coming anyway. Is there anything else to do at this point? Any help is appreciated.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 am

bmore wrote:Please confirm or deny. If site says no need based aid does that mean you are shut out of Merit Aid or is that a separate letter? I sent an offer from Cornell last week but haven't gotten anything yet. Please Penn, just a few $$$. I think I am coming anyway. Is there anything else to do at this point? Any help is appreciated.
I don't think it necessarily means you're shut out. I saw on last year's thread, someone got the loans email with no merit aid on it but then got a merit aid email like 2-3 days later.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
bmore wrote:Please confirm or deny. If site says no need based aid does that mean you are shut out of Merit Aid or is that a separate letter? I sent an offer from Cornell last week but haven't gotten anything yet. Please Penn, just a few $$$. I think I am coming anyway. Is there anything else to do at this point? Any help is appreciated.
I don't think it necessarily means you're shut out. I saw on last year's thread, someone got the loans email with no merit aid on it but then got a merit aid email like 2-3 days later.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping they were separate. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is hard to turn down a lot of money elsewhere and get nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 am

bmore wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping they were separate. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is hard to turn down a lot of money elsewhere and get nothing.
Though I do think if you don't get anything by the end of the week...it's not looking great and you should contact them.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 am

tipler4213 wrote:So, its 9:44 AM on Monday, and no one has started fretting scholarship offers? Figure I might as well get this party started.

Happy birthday Tipler!

Penn please make us both happy...

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 am

Penn Admitted Student Website Update wrote:Emails are going out by alphabetical and acceptance order as we finalize our need-based analysis.

We started sending out emails today, but only to some admitted students; at least half of you have yet to hear. We expect more notifications to go out over the next 7 days. If you were admitted prior to March and applied for need-based aid/federal loans by early March, be on the lookout.
I don't know what the combination of alphabetical and acceptance order means for when in the pecking order we will (or will not) receive e-mails, but this should indicate that there is still time to be had.

As a last name-P and accepted in early January, I hope they haven't gotten to me yet.

For those who have received offers: When did you get the acceptance phone call?

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 am

pereira6 wrote:
Penn Admitted Student Website Update wrote:Emails are going out by alphabetical and acceptance order as we finalize our need-based analysis.

We started sending out emails today, but only to some admitted students; at least half of you have yet to hear. We expect more notifications to go out over the next 7 days. If you were admitted prior to March and applied for need-based aid/federal loans by early March, be on the lookout.

As a last name-P and accepted in early January, I hope they haven't gotten to me yet.
+1 and I haven't heard either

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:So, its 9:44 AM on Monday, and no one has started fretting scholarship offers? Figure I might as well get this party started.

Happy birthday Tipler!

Penn please make us both happy...
Why thank you Excellence. Fingers crossed for us both.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 am

jpk5372 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

+1 and I haven't heard either
Accepted Jan 7th. Last name near the end of the alphabet. No word. Everyone I saw last week was from the December acceptance batch (excluding named awards).

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah I was on the first day they came back from Xmas break on 1/7, and I still don't have anything yet. :cry:

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

Well then, I think the consensus is that all us 1/7ers have not been contacted yet. This is good news! It means we didn't miss the magical money fairy from Philadelphia (I think it would look a lot like the Phillie Phanatic).

I would like to know when exactly the money recipients were accepted though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

Got the acceptance call on 12/21, last name at the end of the alphabet - still haven't heard anything yet. :(

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am

pereira6 wrote:Well then, I think the consensus is that all us 1/7ers have not been contacted yet. This is good news! It means we didn't miss the magical money fairy from Philadelphia (I think it would look a lot like the Phillie Phanatic).

Well they better hurry up!!! There's a tiny crack now in my love of Penn, and the thought of paying sticker is just going to make it wider! :evil:

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 am

law_monkey wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Well then, I think the consensus is that all us 1/7ers have not been contacted yet. This is good news! It means we didn't miss the magical money fairy from Philadelphia (I think it would look a lot like the Phillie Phanatic).

Well they better hurry up!!! There's a tiny crack now in my love of Penn, and the thought of paying sticker is just going to make it wider! :evil:
I am slightly panicking myself. My goal is biglaw, and I'm not so sure I can get there from Vanderbilt. However, I'm also not sure if I'm willing to risk my financial future by taking 200k of loans in an effort to increase my chances (seeing as I'm going for private practice, LRAP is irrelevant).

Vanderbilt is surely the safer option for me, and I love the school, but should I swing for the fences for my dreams? If Penn throws me need-based money (which I think I am highly qualified for), I will be greatly swayed. I want to be swayed. Badly. :|

Edit: My relatively poor cycle has led me to this conflict. Duke, UM, Virginia...ugh. I especially loved Duke and thought I could get a nice scholarship there.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 am

I am counting on 1/07ers hearing today!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”