Effect of semester grades? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lisjjen

Silver

Effect of semester grades?

Post by lisjjen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:16 am

I'm wrapping up this semester and I'm not expecting the 4.0 I had last semester. In fact, it might dip as low as 3.5 :roll:. First of all, I took a full time position in a Congressman's campaign in the middle of the semester and secondly, I took the two most difficult classes in my major in addition to the most difficult at the college (add the 15% who outright fail it to the 20% who drop out and change their major.)

One of the strongest emphases in my personal statment is my meteoric upwards GPA trend since my freshman year. I applied on October 1 - I haven't heard back from a number of schools I've applied to yet, but I have the nagging suspicion they're putting my app on ice until they see this semesters grades. UC Davis is the only school that has explicitly asked for them, but I'm sure there's others who are waiting. If they get my GPA back to see a... 3.5... do you think they'll ding me for it?

Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Effect of semester grades?

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 am

lisjjen wrote:I'm wrapping up this semester and I'm not expecting the 4.0 I had last semester. In fact, it might dip as low as 3.5 :roll:. First of all, I took a full time position in a Congressman's campaign in the middle of the semester and secondly, I took the two most difficult classes in my major in addition to the most difficult at the college (add the 15% who outright fail it to the 20% who drop out and change their major.)

One of the strongest emphases in my personal statment is my meteoric upwards GPA trend since my freshman year. I applied on October 1 - I haven't heard back from a number of schools I've applied to yet, but I have the nagging suspicion they're putting my app on ice until they see this semesters grades. UC Davis is the only school that has explicitly asked for them, but I'm sure there's others who are waiting. If they get my GPA back to see a... 3.5... do you think they'll ding me for it?
Hard to say- couldn't hurt to send them letters explaining, could it? On the other hand- why do all that at once? :shock: I stopped taking Japanese and started taking fewer classes (because I could) and have had a 4.0 the for several terms- how much do they really care about the upward trend since the GPA is what it is and hurts their ranking regardless of what your story is?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:27 am

Arbiter213 wrote: Hard to say- couldn't hurt to send them letters explaining, could it? On the other hand- why do all that at once? :shock: I stopped taking Japanese and started taking fewer classes (because I could) and have had a 4.0 the for several terms- how much do they really care about the upward trend since the GPA is what it is and hurts their ranking regardless of what your story is?
They might want to take a chance on him if he's a high-LSAT splitter.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: Hard to say- couldn't hurt to send them letters explaining, could it? On the other hand- why do all that at once? :shock: I stopped taking Japanese and started taking fewer classes (because I could) and have had a 4.0 the for several terms- how much do they really care about the upward trend since the GPA is what it is and hurts their ranking regardless of what your story is?
They might want to take a chance on him if he's a high-LSAT splitter.
Yah I was more making a general statement- I recognize a high LSAT can offsets a lot.

Frasier27

New

Post by Frasier27 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Actually, quick related question. When schools ask for semester grades, do they want a transcript or something official or just like an addendum?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Frasier27 wrote:Actually, quick related question. When schools ask for semester grades, do they want a transcript or something official or just like an addendum?
Transcript.

Frasier27

New

Post by Frasier27 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Frasier27 wrote:Actually, quick related question. When schools ask for semester grades, do they want a transcript or something official or just like an addendum?
Transcript.
So through LSAC? Thats going to take a while

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Frasier27 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Transcript.
So through LSAC? Thats going to take a while
They'll wait for it. :D

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 pm

if you do it through LSAC wont they send your lower GPA to all the schools you applied to?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”