Loyola - New Orleans Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EricBerry

Bronze

Re: Loyola - New Orleans

Post by EricBerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I know several people from New Orleans and they speak of Loyola like its an Ivy. They think I'm crazy for even considering turning down a scholly there. Over the past few days, I've kinda started leaning toward Loyola because I'd love to live in New Orleans and it's my cheapest option at the moment. I'm just worried about doing well in school and getting shut out from every decent firm in NOLA. I'd really like someone to tell me that top 25% from Loyola can get non-shitlaw jobs (by "shitlaw" I mean insurance defense, personal injury, etc.).

EDIT: Also curious about the curve and section stacking.

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 am

amd34119 wrote:Anyone else go from "Initial Review" to "Admissions Committee Review Pending" today? I'm guessing this means I'm not going to get one of those letters they mailed out today, lol.
I just got the "Admissions Committee Review Pending"

Have you gotten any response since? Anyone else got this?
Applied 1/15 Received 1/17 Complete 1/31

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

I also got the in review decision pending

I accidently posted that in the Loyola LA thinking LA meant the state of Louisiana...what an idiot..but anyway been complete since 1/17

golfandstuff

New

Post by golfandstuff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Invited to LOYNO's Summer Conditional Program...anyone have any intel on this program? Should I bother pursuing this while passing up other schools that I've been accepted to? Quite a gamble if I ended up not passing in the end...any info on the program is appreciated.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:25 pm

golfandstuff wrote:Invited to LOYNO's Summer Conditional Program...anyone have any intel on this program? Should I bother pursuing this while passing up other schools that I've been accepted to? Quite a gamble if I ended up not passing in the end...any info on the program is appreciated.
Not sure where I read this (possibly a different forum) but I heard that Loyola's summer program is extremely difficult. I believe the person said that only a couple of students from his/her class made it through. Google around and read it for yourself though. There was a lot of information about the program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BLin98

New

Post by BLin98 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 pm

In via status checker today.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 pm

First semester median at Loyola NO is 2.769.*

Top quarter is 3.2 and higher.*

Bottom quarter is 2.350 and below.*

*These stats are for the common law students, part time and civil law students combined.

Civil law median = 2.769.

Common law median = 2.781

(don't ask me to explain it, all I have are the statistics themselves)

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 am

BLin98 wrote:In via status checker today.
Would you mind letting us know when you applied, went complete and ur stats? thanks

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 am

Hey Im in too!!!! My first acceptance so far. Complete since 1/17 checked my status checker and says admitted, scholarship consideration. What does that mean??? PM for stats. This is my second year applying so I am a little different. Also URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr_pink

New

Post by mr_pink » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Anyone have any insight on what it's like to go to Loyola if you want to work in South Florida? I'm leaning towards Loyola because of a pretty good scholarship offer from them.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Don't go unless you want to stay in NO

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Don't go unless you want to stay in NO
I'm going to modify this and say don't go unless you want to stay in Louisiana. Getting a job outside of N.O. (i.e., within Louisiana) is definitely possible, but do not go there with the expectation of leaving N.O. anytime soon after graduation.

bayougrl26

New

Post by bayougrl26 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

I was admitted on Friday, but no scholly info. I'm at their 75% on both GPA and LSAT, so whatever. I was only going to consider with significant money, so, oh well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BLin98

New

Post by BLin98 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 am

bayougrl26 wrote:I was admitted on Friday, but no scholly info. I'm at their 75% on both GPA and LSAT, so whatever. I was only going to consider with significant money, so, oh well.
In the same boat, but I am a splitter with a higher LSAT and a lower GPA. Loyno would need to come up with enough $$$ to compete with in-state @ LSU.

mr_pink

New

Post by mr_pink » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 am

If it is so difficult to work outside of Louisiana why would they even offer a common law division?

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

mr_pink wrote:If it is so difficult to work outside of Louisiana why would they even offer a common law division?
There is nothing preventing you from leaving the state....it will just be hard getting a job outside of Louisiana unless you already have something lined up.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 am

Has anyone received the Loyola Diversity Grant Scholarship yet? I'm wondering how much it is worth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jtb00711

Bronze

Post by jtb00711 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Withdrew today. Good Luck to all!

dey206

New

Post by dey206 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:44 am

cartercl wrote:Has anyone received the Loyola Diversity Grant Scholarship yet? I'm wondering how much it is worth.
+1

BLin98

New

Post by BLin98 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 am

Rcvd my acceptance letter to Loyola today with no scholarship offers of any kind. It seems odd that I would get some amount yet unknown scholarship to LSU and yet Loyno wants me to pay sticker. Even MS College in Jackson offered a 2/3 scholarship with a top 50% stipulation.

I’ll drop admissions a line in another week or two and let them know that unless Loyno can offer something to make the tuition comparable to instate + partial scholarship at LSU then I will be looking for an apartment in Baton Rouge.

Good luck to anyone still waiting.

bayougrl26

New

Post by bayougrl26 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am

BLin98 wrote:Rcvd my acceptance letter to Loyola today with no scholarship offers of any kind. It seems odd that I would get some amount yet unknown scholarship to LSU and yet Loyno wants me to pay sticker. Even MS College in Jackson offered a 2/3 scholarship with a top 50% stipulation.

I’ll drop admissions a line in another week or two and let them know that unless Loyno can offer something to make the tuition comparable to instate + partial scholarship at LSU then I will be looking for an apartment in Baton Rouge.

I had the exact same issue. MS College scholarship and all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm

BLin98 wrote:Rcvd my acceptance letter to Loyola today with no scholarship offers of any kind. It seems odd that I would get some amount yet unknown scholarship to LSU and yet Loyno wants me to pay sticker. Even MS College in Jackson offered a 2/3 scholarship with a top 50% stipulation.

Yeah, I feel you on this one. If they can't come close to making tuition comparable to in-state + scholarship at LSU I don't think I'll consider Loyola either, although I want to work in New Orleans. You should have received some money at Loyola if you have numbers for a scholarship at LSU. That's odd.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Accepted this morning via status checker. My daughter lives in NOLA with her mother, so it's an option (depending on scholarship).

halito

New

Post by halito » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:06 pm

dey206 wrote:
cartercl wrote:Has anyone received the Loyola Diversity Grant Scholarship yet? I'm wondering how much it is worth.
+1
39K per year (basically full tuition) as long as you maintain a 2.6... goes down incrementally from there.

Samuel Jackson

New

Post by Samuel Jackson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Anyone else do the online chat tonight?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”