In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Huh, it seems to me that the "Dinner Honoring Diverse Admits" held at the Bancroft Hotel is a little more formal than the student/club led receptions, but I'm likely wrong.
Well I am not going if it is formal because I am not bringing formal clothing. I doubt it is formal. I haven't been to anything formal for a while, and Berkeley would be the last place I expect that.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, I spoke to them and my offer is definitely final. The thing that killed me apparently is that my mother's home has been paid off and there is no home debt. Sigh... Oh well, here's hoping to something nice on the merit end.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Huh, it seems to me that the "Dinner Honoring Diverse Admits" held at the Bancroft Hotel is a little more formal than the student/club led receptions, but I'm likely wrong.
Well I am not going if it is formal because I am not bringing formal clothing. I doubt it is formal. I haven't been to anything formal for a while, and Berkeley would be the last place I expect that.
They mentioned that attire for the entire weekend is casual but to bring a jacket/sweater for the evening, so I doubt it's formal. I don't know how hotel constitutes formal wear :) prom flashbacks?

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 pm

So, dumb question...I cannot reasonably be called "diverse" in any sense of the word. Is it weird if I still go because I don't have anything else to do?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:41 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So, dumb question...I cannot reasonably be called "diverse" in any sense of the word. Is it weird if I still go because I don't have anything else to do?
If it's anything like Penn's, then no. I (along with a bunch of other people, from what I saw) went for the free food and to socialize, not because we had any huge claim to diversity. I don't think they would mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So, dumb question...I cannot reasonably be called "diverse" in any sense of the word. Is it weird if I still go because I don't have anything else to do?
It's not like it's a Klan meeting. I'm sure you'll be fine and definitely not the only one.

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Does being a sponge count as being diverse? :D

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Does being a sponge count as being diverse? :D
Absolutely! Just don't get the floor all wet or come all grimy.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:03 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
In other news, panda is certainly very diverse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
In other news, panda is certainly very diverse.
It's hard to get more diverse than a panda. True story.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
It's not like it's a Klan meeting. I'm sure you'll be fine and definitely not the only one.
Unfortunately I have been to a Klan meeting. I wish I wore formal, appropriate clothing lol

*I feel like I need to clarify this. If I wore a robe and mask they wouldn't have tried to chase me down.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Unfortunately I have been to a Klan meeting. I wish I wore formal, appropriate clothing lol

*I feel like I need to clarify this. If I wore a robe and mask they wouldn't have tried to chase me down.
This demands more elaboration if true!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

My financial aid thing is working now! No need-based aid...which I expected, but which still kind of sucks. Really hope that some merit money comes through? Also, I'm puzzled as to where schools are getting the "expected student contribution" from. Both schools that I've received complete packages from have set that amount at about 30% of my current income...and I definitely don't have that much in savings. Do they take your parents' income into account when setting that amount as well as when setting the "expected family contribution"?

I also demand more elaboration from r6.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:

This demands more elaboration if true!
I stopped by a gas station near Ashville, NC around maybe 9-10PM in the summer time. Went to the bathroom behind the building and there was a Klan meeting taking place. They first started saying stuff then all started coming towards me. I had to flee like my life depended on it. It was scary. About 10 years ago.

I also came across one in PA, but they weren't really aggressive. It was earlier in the day and it was a public rally so maybe that's why they behaved better.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

That sounds absolutely frightening, r6. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much of a Klan population here in California.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:37 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:That sounds absolutely frightening, r6. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much of a Klan population here in California.
You'd be surprised.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:That sounds absolutely frightening, r6. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much of a Klan population here in California.
I love the Blue Ridge Mountains but some areas are a bit sketchy. I just never thought I would run into anything personally. I have been a lot of tight spots, but that ranks in the top 3.

Cali is nice, but you better watch out for them bears. You stand out. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
You'd be surprised.
Do tell

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
You'd be surprised.
Do tell
Not much to say but I know an ex-FBI agent who did a lot of work dealing with big Klan groups in the central valley of cali. That was back in the 80s and 90s though, and I'm sure a lot has changed. Hopfully.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Woohoo! Homework for ASW! :)
Yep, just got that, too! I am much more excited about this homework than my actual school homework!
I am going to avoid the mock class for the 3rd time! :D
Hey r6, why avoid the mock class? I'm actually looking forward to it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Hey r6, why avoid the mock class? I'm actually looking forward to it.
I will be taking classes for the next 3 years, and I will in no way place any of my decision making on the mock class experience. I would rather spend the time exploring the school since I am there for such a short time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 pm

r6_philly wrote: I stopped by a gas station near Ashville, NC around maybe 9-10PM in the summer time. Went to the bathroom behind the building and there was a Klan meeting taking place. They first started saying stuff then all started coming towards me. I had to flee like my life depended on it. It was scary. About 10 years ago.

I also came across one in PA, but they weren't really aggressive. It was earlier in the day and it was a public rally so maybe that's why they behaved better.
That is crazy but completely believeable I lived in south carolina for a year and saw stuff there that I could never have even imagined. Being from Chicago you see racisim but it's more the vieled we're not going to hire you or let you buy a house in this community, rather than the you got five seconds to leave before we bash your teeth in sort of thing.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Woohoo! Homework for ASW! :)
Yep, just got that, too! I am much more excited about this homework than my actual school homework!
I am going to avoid the mock class for the 3rd time! :D
Hey r6, why avoid the mock class? I'm actually looking forward to it.
The mock class last year was great - they always get a great professor and it gives you a nice preview.

Also, just fyi, the diversity parties are open to everyone (as they are during the school year) - the different identity groups at Boalt are very active, very social, very inclusive, and super fun.

For example, this week the Women of Color Collective (WOCC) is sponsoring a speed dating event with dancing/drinks afterwards; the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association (APALSA) is sponsoring a trivia night where student teams will compete against the "Dean" team: Tom, Hirshen, etc. and the "Professor" team: Sklansky, Murray, Biber, etc. . . . and on and on.

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote::( I'm going to be way late for the reception on Thursday...a bummer.
That's too bad :( .

On this point, are most people going to the diverse students reception? Is this an invitation only event? Is this event meant to honor certain diverse students? How are these diverse students being "honored"? I think this was one of the only points not addressed in the email today.
These receptions are just regular social events. They like to give it a title but usually are open to everyone, and casual.

I will be there.
I will be there unless the last leg of my drive (Colorado to Berkeley) takes longer than I think it will.

Looking forward to it!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Boggs wrote:
I will be there unless the last leg of my drive (Colorado to Berkeley) takes longer than I think it will.

Looking forward to it!
Hey man, hows the drive going? Looking forward to hanging out again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”