Alternative decision date graphs

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bdubs

Alternative decision date graphs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:11 pm

So the decision date graphs on TLS really bugged me, so I made my own.

Accepted - Percent of LSN users left to be accepted (includes WL acceptances)
Rejected - Percent of LSN users who will be rejected
Waitlisted - Percent of LSN users who will be waitlisted (without subsequently being accepted)

UVA has a second set of lines which are the dates for users who indicated Virginia residence.

The X axis is the first day of each week starting the week before the first decision and ending the week of the last decision.

Georgetown

Duke
--ImageRemoved--

Northwestern
--ImageRemoved--

UVA

Michigan

UPenn

Berkeley

NYU
--ImageRemoved--

Chicago

Columbia

Stanford
--ImageRemoved--

Harvard

Yale
--ImageRemoved--

Here is the Excel file if anyone wants it. Excel file has ED dates and Cornell.

--LinkRemoved--

For those trying to download from Megaupload:

I don't have a dedicated site to host files, so I had to use a free site. When you click the link you have to put in a captcha in the upper right hand corner then hit the "download file" button. It will then take you to a download page where you have to wait 45 seconds in order to download the file (there is a countdown in the lower righthand corner), once you have waited 45 seconds a button that says "Regular Download" will pop up. Click that and you will finally be able to download the Excel file.
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoeShmoe11

Re: Alternative decision date graphs

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Awesome post, thanks! :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:39 pm

canuck

Postby canuck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Merci!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:53 pm

This is fantastic! Thanks so much!

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:58 pm

very nice! If I can make a suggestion, I think bar graph would work better since acceptances and rejections are discrete information.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:00 pm

tea_drinker wrote:very nice! If I can make a suggestion, I think bar graph would work better since acceptances and rejections are discrete information.

+1 on both.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Awesome, thank you so much!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:19 pm

tea_drinker wrote:very nice! If I can make a suggestion, I think bar graph would work better since acceptances and rejections are discrete information.

I experimented with several formats for displaying the information and found this to be the most helpful. It helps me see that if I haven't heard back from school X by date Y with a positive decision my chance of WL are Z. It's not perfect though.

I took a stab at what I thought you were getting at in the graph below. I can't literally translate the graphs i had as lines into bars because the axes don't work for a stacked bar (unstacked bars are unreadable IMO).

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:23 pm

bdubs wrote:

I experimented with several formats for displaying the information and found this to be the most helpful. It helps me see that if I haven't heard back from school X by date Y with a positive decision my chance of WL are Z. It's not perfect though.

I took a stab at what I thought you were getting at in the graph below. I can't literally translate the graphs i had as lines into bars because the axes don't work for a stacked bar (unstacked bars are unreadable IMO).

Ooohh. This is kind of cool too! Thanks bdubs!

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:30 pm

bdubs wrote:

I tried converting the graphs too, and they looked, well, not so good. Do you have the file with just a master list of acceptances, rejections and waitlists? You did some genius things with the file, that I can't figure things out. :oops:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:33 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I tried converting the graphs too, and they looked, well, not so good. Do you have the file with just a master list of acceptances, rejections and waitlists? You did some genius things with the file, that I can't figure things out. :oops:

Yeah, I pulled all of the data off of LSN for the last few years. The file that I posted has all 2009/10 applications for the T14 on the "data" tab.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 am

Um, this is amazing. It must have taken forever. Thank you so much. I'm curious about how different the trends look in this format from how I've heard they are. For instance, the conventional wisdom in the Chicago Applicants thread seems to be that most people will hear in February, but this graph has about 60% of accepted applicants hearing by early January. (I realize those two outcomes aren't mutually exclusive, but the distinction points out the increasing likelihood of WL if I haven't heard from them before February.) So, this is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Um, this is amazing. It must have taken forever. Thank you so much. I'm curious about how different the trends look in this format from how I've heard they are. For instance, the conventional wisdom in the Chicago Applicants thread seems to be that most people will hear in February, but this graph has about 60% of accepted applicants hearing by early January. (I realize those two outcomes aren't mutually exclusive, but the distinction points out the increasing likelihood of WL if I haven't heard from them before February.) So, this is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time.

It's actually the opposite, 60% of those who were admitted RD had NOT heard by early January. I agree though it seems like TLS wisdom may be a bit off for Chicago.

I automated pulling the data down, so it really didn't take all that long to compile. I am at a relative's house for Thanksgiving and there is basically nothing to do here, so why not fix those decision date axes that were bugging me?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 am

bdubs wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Um, this is amazing. It must have taken forever. Thank you so much. I'm curious about how different the trends look in this format from how I've heard they are. For instance, the conventional wisdom in the Chicago Applicants thread seems to be that most people will hear in February, but this graph has about 60% of accepted applicants hearing by early January. (I realize those two outcomes aren't mutually exclusive, but the distinction points out the increasing likelihood of WL if I haven't heard from them before February.) So, this is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time.

It's actually the opposite, 60% of those who were admitted RD had NOT heard by early January. I agree though it seems like TLS wisdom may be a bit off for Chicago.

I automated pulling the data down, so it really didn't take all that long to compile. I am at a relative's house for Thanksgiving and there is basically nothing to do here, so why not fix those decision date axes that were bugging me?

Oops, but yeah. Thanks!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 am

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”