Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hurricane10

Bronze

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Post by hurricane10 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I was just accepted yesterday with a scholarship.. I'm pretty sure they seem to be sending out decisions every week.

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Accepted today via status checker.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Re-review in Feb. as well. AKA waitlist. That's way too far away for me though.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:46 pm

NScott wrote:Re-review in Feb. as well. AKA waitlist. That's way too far away for me though.
I'm sorry to hear that. It seems so early in the game to be passing out waitlists. What are your #'s?

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:51 pm

angiej wrote:
NScott wrote:Re-review in Feb. as well. AKA waitlist. That's way too far away for me though.
I'm sorry to hear that. It seems so early in the game to be passing out waitlists. What are your #'s?
Not really bummed about it. Just applied because of the fee waiver. Thanks, though :)
My LSAT is 157 and my GPA is a 3.2. Congrats to you, on all your acceptances thus far. And good luck with the rest!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Accepted today via status checker and phone call from admissions director (I missed the call). Complete 11/16.

Safety...but worth considering if $ is right. How did they let you know scholly offers?

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 pm

NScott wrote:
angiej wrote:
Not really bummed about it. Just applied because of the fee waiver. Thanks, though :)
My LSAT is 157 and my GPA is a 3.2. Congrats to you, on all your acceptances thus far. And good luck with the rest!
Yeah, I have been researching it a lot and it IS a waitlist. Really interesting because people with numbers quite a bit lower than both of ours have been getting accepted today (like a -5+ difference in LSAT) and people with 160+ are being waitlisted. I'll never understand law school admissions it seems.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Spack wrote:
NScott wrote:
angiej wrote:
Yeah, I have been researching it a lot and it IS a waitlist. Really interesting because people with numbers quite a bit lower than both of ours have been getting accepted today (like a -5+ difference in LSAT) and people with 160+ are being waitlisted. I'll never understand law school admissions it seems.
Nice to know people with higher scores have been waitlisted!

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Chants wrote:Accepted today via status checker and phone call from admissions director (I missed the call). Complete 11/16.

Safety...but worth considering if $ is right. How did they let you know scholly offers?
Another person in the forum said that after they were accepted, their status checker was updated a few days later, and it contained scholarship info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 pm

NScott wrote:
Chants wrote:Accepted today via status checker and phone call from admissions director (I missed the call). Complete 11/16.

Another person in the forum said that after they were accepted, their status checker was updated a few days later, and it contained scholarship info.
Yep! That would be me. The voicemail message I received also contained scholarship info.

clr2277

New

Post by clr2277 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Spack wrote:
NScott wrote:
angiej wrote:
I also got the "Re-review in Feb" status and I'm pretty confused about this whole thing. If it's a waitlist, why wouldn't they just say wait-listed? It almost seems like we're being deferred, even though MSU doesn't have EA. I also only applied because of the fee waiver/phone call from a 3L/guarantee that I would receive a decision by 11/19 (so much for that!) so I won't be very upset if I am waitlisted, but I don't understand their process at all.

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:25 pm

angiej wrote:
NScott wrote:

Yep! That would be me. The voicemail message I received also contained scholarship info.

Congrats! I didn't get a voicemail. Only status change and email. Neither of which mentioned any $. I guess no $ for me.

EDIT- nevermind, status has changed to accepted with scholarship as of today.
Last edited by Chants on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:27 pm

lol...I don't know either! It's really strange. I thought it might've been because my gpa is lower even though I included an addendum, but I have seen people get in with lower since I got "waitlisted". I then thought, hmm...maybe they are just taking higher LSATs but people with lower 150s (150-153) are getting accepted. THEN I thought, maybe it's because I applied a little later and they have tons of higher qualified people they want to accept first, but I didn't apply THAT late and again, people who applied the same time as me (the beginning of Nov. for completion) are still getting in with lower numbers. I give up on trying to figure it out.

I really have NO clue what they are doing. I went through LSN and they have "waitlisted" people with 160s in the past but subsequently accepted them. I can't really tell if this is them kind of YPing or what but it's not like looking at my numbers the odds of me going are that much lower than someone with a 151 (maybe?). Who knows...I have nothing better to do than wait them out :P.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Just my opinion for those who are still waiting.. I'm pretty sure MSU is REALLY trying to move up to tier 2 status. They're giving almost a quarter of the incoming class a FULL scholarship, which is ridiculous and pretty unheard of. On top of that MSU, has to have been the most persistant school I've applied to. I've gotten more material, phone calls, emails, etc. from them than any other school. For all the deffered people, I think you're all probably admits, they are probably just trying to get a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like to see if their recruiting strategy is working.

clr2277

New

Post by clr2277 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:27 pm

hurricane10 wrote:I've gotten more material, phone calls, emails, etc. from them than any other school. For all the deffered people, I think you're all probably admits, they are probably just trying to get a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like to see if their recruiting strategy is working.
That makes sense, I guess and I've also gotten more material from them than from any other school. I'm honestly considering withdrawing now though because I've already gotten offers from schools that I would go to over MSU and I really have no desire to move to Michigan.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:41 pm

hurricane10 wrote:Just my opinion for those who are still waiting.. I'm pretty sure MSU is REALLY trying to move up to tier 2 status. They're giving almost a quarter of the incoming class a FULL scholarship, which is ridiculous and pretty unheard of. On top of that MSU, has to have been the most persistant school I've applied to. I've gotten more material, phone calls, emails, etc. from them than any other school. For all the deffered people, I think you're all probably admits, they are probably just trying to get a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like to see if their recruiting strategy is working.

I totally agree with this. There's been a lot of talk about them moving up to T2 some time in the near future. I think that 5 years ago (or so) I would've been immediately admitted. But, because they are trying to move up in USNWR (curse that list), they are trying to entice as many people with high #'s, as possible. And, once those people withdraw (which i'm sure most of them will), they will "re-review" AKA accept us. I haven't been paying much attention to their acceptance trend for this cycle, so the only thing that throws the theory off is (like someone else stated) if they are admitting those with lower numbers right away, and "re-reviewing" those with pretty high numbers at the same time. I've just seen them admit a bunch of folks who will probably be going to much higher ranked schools, and offering those people big $.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

NScott wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:Just my opinion for those who are still waiting.. I'm pretty sure MSU is REALLY trying to move up to tier 2 status. They're giving almost a quarter of the incoming class a FULL scholarship, which is ridiculous and pretty unheard of. On top of that MSU, has to have been the most persistant school I've applied to. I've gotten more material, phone calls, emails, etc. from them than any other school. For all the deffered people, I think you're all probably admits, they are probably just trying to get a better idea of what the applicant pool looks like to see if their recruiting strategy is working.

I totally agree with this. There's been a lot of talk about them moving up to T2 some time in the near future. I think that 5 years ago (or so) I would've been immediately admitted. But, because they are trying to move up in USNWR (curse that list), they are trying to entice as many people with high #'s, as possible. And, once those people withdraw (which i'm sure most of them will), they will "re-review" AKA accept us. I haven't been paying much attention to their acceptance trend for this cycle, so the only thing that throws the theory off is (like someone else stated) if they are admitting those with lower numbers right away, and "re-reviewing" those with pretty high numbers at the same time. I've just seen them admit a bunch of folks who will probably be going to much higher ranked schools, and offering those people big $.
If you look at LSN, although there isn't a ton of information and MANY of the people have over 160, there are sprinkled in there people with scores in the lower 150s accepted with $$$. I do think that you are both correct. I imagine by February those people won't be much of a concern to us as they are most likely headed to T50 schools anyway. I have been thinking a lot about just withdrawing as I don't really think I'd attend unless maybe I got a full scholly as I have gotten into a pretty good school. I'm probably just going to wait it out. As I said, it's not like I have anything better to do :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Unless you know that you have absolutely no desire to go to MSU, then I would not withdraw now. If you did apply, and know its not for you, why did you apply in the first place?

Perhaps they will offer scholarship money again later in the cycle, once they get the test results back from December.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Spack wrote:
NScott wrote:

If you look at LSN, although there isn't a ton of information and MANY of the people have over 160, there are sprinkled in there people with scores in the lower 150s accepted with $$$. I do think that you are both correct. I imagine by February those people won't be much of a concern to us as they are most likely headed to T50 schools anyway. I have been thinking a lot about just withdrawing as I don't really think I'd attend unless maybe I got a full scholly as I have gotten into a pretty good school. I'm probably just going to wait it out. As I said, it's not like I have anything better to do :P
I just realized you're spack on LSN too. We've exchanged a couple of posts, i'm nuggams.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:09 pm

I am currently an undergrad at MSU and did a market research thing for the law school last year - they are really trying to bump up their status.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm

obrienfa wrote:
I am currently an undergrad at MSU and did a market research thing for the law school last year - they are really trying to bump up their status.
Thanks for the input.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 pm

NScott wrote:
obrienfa wrote:
Thanks for the input.
No problem. The person who met with us (I can't remember her name/position for the life of me right now) kept trying to play up how they've jumped around the rankings and how they expect to be bumped up more. The way she was talking really turned me off from the program (I was considering staying for another three years so I could get my masters at the same time).

If anyone has questions about MSU/East Lansing/etc, I am more than happy to answer them.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 pm

It's true that MSU is trying to bump up in the rankings and it can be annoying to a degree but I think it'll definitely be T2 in the next couple of years because the school is making a big push and it does have a pretty good rep in Michigan. Also considering some of the current T2 schools I don't think it'll be too difficult to achieve. Plus the large amount of full schollies will attract strong candidates.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 pm

obrienfa wrote:
NScott wrote:
obrienfa wrote:
Thanks for the input.
No problem. The person who met with us (I can't remember her name/position for the life of me right now) kept trying to play up how they've jumped around the rankings and how they expect to be bumped up more. The way she was talking really turned me off from the program (I was considering staying for another three years so I could get my masters at the same time).

If anyone has questions about MSU/East Lansing/etc, I am more than happy to answer them.
I'm also applying to Cooley (I know, I know) and I could possibly be going there. I haven't really thought about it much, but I figure I should ask something, since you're offering....hmmm...... Do you think Lansing is surviving the recession better than saaay, Detroit? I'll think of some better ones. But, thanks in advance.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 am

NScott wrote:
obrienfa wrote:If anyone has questions about MSU/East Lansing/etc, I am more than happy to answer them.
I'm also applying to Cooley (I know, I know) and I could possibly be going there. I haven't really thought about it much, but I figure I should ask something, since you're offering....hmmm...... Do you think Lansing is surviving the recession better than saaay, Detroit? I'll think of some better ones. But, thanks in advance.
I do think Lansing is surviving the recession better than Detroit. Obviously there are parts that aren't but the area around Cooley is really nice. The capital is right there along with a a lot of the court houses for the county so they have really played up to the professionals coming in. They also have a pretty decent night life in the Cooley area and I know the students are always doing bar reviews.

Have you visited MSU or Cooley yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”