UC Irvine 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lfp

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Post by lfp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 pm

lawandi wrote:
lfp wrote:I'm desperate. I'm turning to the ether of the internet for help with this decision. Seriously - do I take Irvine?

I want to do feminist jurisprudence/constitutional law and prepare myself for a career helping women/defending same-sex couples/reproductive rights/etc., but I'm stuck picking between UCI and the University of Denver. On its face, there's no comparison. But DU offered me a public service award good for 3 years of free tuition, and I grew up in Denver. Plus, DU already has a long, long list of feminist scholars and tons of course offerings in what I want to do, and the scholarship does provide a sense of gravitas in the job market and give me better access to the faculty and such. But Irvine is... Irvine. I enjoyed my visits to both schools, and based on my gut feeling at both institutions, I could be happy at either.

After weeks of fretting, I'm really down to the wire; does UCI's obvious lead in employment prospects outweigh the debt-free-ness of DU? Can I bank my financial solvency on UCI? HELP ME PLEASE.

(And for those of you whom I met at ASD, you're all a plus in the UCI column :))
I've never heard of DU, so I can't help you in that way. But come to UCI!!! Please? We need to start a women's/ gender law journal together ;)
Over some mid-afternoon-mental-health fro yo, I made a game time decision. I'll see you all in the fall, ready to start that gender journal and bid adieu to DC! I'm a whole new woman.

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

hellohello wrote:quick question- is the SIR for uci law binding?
what if we get off of a waitlist?
No.

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

lfp wrote:
lawandi wrote:
lfp wrote:I'm desperate. I'm turning to the ether of the internet for help with this decision. Seriously - do I take Irvine?

I want to do feminist jurisprudence/constitutional law and prepare myself for a career helping women/defending same-sex couples/reproductive rights/etc., but I'm stuck picking between UCI and the University of Denver. On its face, there's no comparison. But DU offered me a public service award good for 3 years of free tuition, and I grew up in Denver. Plus, DU already has a long, long list of feminist scholars and tons of course offerings in what I want to do, and the scholarship does provide a sense of gravitas in the job market and give me better access to the faculty and such. But Irvine is... Irvine. I enjoyed my visits to both schools, and based on my gut feeling at both institutions, I could be happy at either.

After weeks of fretting, I'm really down to the wire; does UCI's obvious lead in employment prospects outweigh the debt-free-ness of DU? Can I bank my financial solvency on UCI? HELP ME PLEASE.

(And for those of you whom I met at ASD, you're all a plus in the UCI column :))
I've never heard of DU, so I can't help you in that way. But come to UCI!!! Please? We need to start a women's/ gender law journal together ;)
Over some mid-afternoon-mental-health fro yo, I made a game time decision. I'll see you all in the fall, ready to start that gender journal and bid adieu to DC! I'm a whole new woman.
:D !!!!!

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Okay. Now that this is actually happening, where is everyone living?

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:34 pm

That is a hard decision. Sturm is a good school even if it is not ranked as high as the others. If you want to practice in denver than it is a non decision - I would take the money. If you want to practice in California it really depends how debt adverse you are. A quick glance shows that they do indeed have a pretty well known feminist law backing as well. Irvine will not offer you near the specialized electives (especially given the current situation with class picking) but will definitely be more prestigious when it is finally ranked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm

lfp wrote:Okay. Now that this is actually happening, where is everyone living?
AWESOME! A second real classmate!

I'm going to be living with my "domestic partner"(my longtime GF) so I was able to ask for one bedrooms in Verano and Palo Verde. As to where I'll actually be living, I guess I'll know May 3.

And, by the way, did we meet at ASD? My name is Andrew, and I was hanging out with a guy named Jack most of the time. He has a memorable last name.

Edit: Sorry Lawandi, I didn't see that you had made your decision!

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 am

thegreatk wrote:

I'm going to be living with my "domestic partner"(my longtime GF) so I was able to ask for one bedrooms in Verano and Palo Verde. As to where I'll actually be living, I guess I'll know May 3.

And, by the way, did we meet at ASD? My name is Andrew, and I was hanging out with a guy named Jack most of the time. He has a memorable last name.

Sweet, I'm stoked lfp!!! I actually just signed a lease at Vista del Campo Norte. Verano Place and Palo Verde don't have air conditioning (I double checked). I called to ask a few questions at Vista del Campo Norte and they told me that they were actually already accepting leases and that only left over apartments go to students who do the guaranteed housing thing. I'm living with my partner, too.

ok, lfp and lawandi, can we at least make it a gender and sexuality law journal??

@lfp - reading this totally made my day!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 am

I'm not gonna lie, I am really jealous right now. I wanna get off this waitlist and be part of your super cool crew :cry:

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:08 am

gothamm wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I am really jealous right now. I wanna get off this waitlist and be part of your super cool crew :cry:
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 am

jck4487 wrote: Sweet, I'm stoked lfp!!! I actually just signed a lease at Vista del Campo Norte. Verano Place and Palo Verde don't have air conditioning (I double checked). I called to ask a few questions at Vista del Campo Norte and they told me that they were actually already accepting leases and that only left over apartments go to students who do the guaranteed housing thing. I'm living with my partner, too.

ok, lfp and lawandi, can we at least make it a gender and sexuality law journal??

I can tell Dean Austin put together a great group in the spirit of UCI - you guys are already in the process of starting a secondary journal - <3 it. Professor Leslie has done some GLBT writing, possibly others as well on the faculty, but you might be able to get Professor Leslie to support your endeavor if it is a gender and sexuality journal. Professor Menkel-Meadow is another good possibility for a faculty adviser.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 am

jck4487 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:

Sweet, I'm stoked lfp!!! I actually just signed a lease at Vista del Campo Norte. Verano Place and Palo Verde don't have air conditioning (I double checked). I called to ask a few questions at Vista del Campo Norte and they told me that they were actually already accepting leases and that only left over apartments go to students who do the guaranteed housing thing. I'm living with my partner, too.

Yes, yes, yes. Gender and sexuality. Although, I feel like the term "gender" could encompass sexual issues as well. Anywhoo, I've applied for a studio apartment at Puerta del Sol b/c it's location is awesome: up the street from the law school, across from Albertsons and the gym... and it's brand new and affordable. They made me put down a $150 deposit, but it's fully refundable anytime.

I'm getting more and more excited about UCI every day!

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 am

jck4487 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:

NO AC?!? That's a dealbreaker.....do you know if they let you put in window AC units? If so, then no worries, those things can cool down a room like a pro.

How far of a walk is Vista Del Campo Norte from the Law building? I might just do the same thing as you, considering that the graduate housing requests are non-binding. I just want to be as physically close as possible.

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:35 am

WOW I'm getting excited too! I'm obviously ridiculously excited to not sleep for three years and start this bad-ass journal, but also spend more time with you all! Lawandi: did I meet you at ASD, I wonder...? And Jck: you knew it was inevitable that your sparkling wit and charm was going to win me over.

I got into the office today to find a message from Prof. Leslie on my voicemail. I haven't SIR'ed yet - I will, I promise! - and he wanted to see if I have any (more) questions. I'll be sure to call him back today and tell him how excited I am!

As for housing... I'm thinking of foregoing the guaranteed housing since I want my own furniture. All of these on-campus places are furnished, yes? Can anyone currently at UCI fill me in on the apartments right across from the law school, I believe they are called Harvard Court/Cornell Court? Are there other places off-campus where a lot of law students tend to live?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:45 am

lfp wrote:WOW I'm getting excited too! I'm obviously ridiculously excited to not sleep for three years and start this bad-ass journal, but also spend more time with you all! Lawandi: did I meet you at ASD, I wonder...? And Jck: you knew it was inevitable that your sparkling wit and charm was going to win me over.

I got into the office today to find a message from Prof. Leslie on my voicemail. I haven't SIR'ed yet - I will, I promise! - and he wanted to see if I have any (more) questions. I'll be sure to call him back today and tell him how excited I am!

As for housing... I'm thinking of foregoing the guaranteed housing since I want my own furniture. All of these on-campus places are furnished, yes? Can anyone currently at UCI fill me in on the apartments right across from the law school, I believe they are called Harvard Court/Cornell Court? Are there other places off-campus where a lot of law students tend to live?
I'm pretty sure only Vista del Campo and Puerta Del Sol are furnished, while Verano Place and Palo Verde (the options directly across the street from the law building) are not furnished. But, as was previously stated, they are also not air conditioned.

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Still weighing the on/off-campus housing thing, but Vista del Campo (Norte) are full-up on the 1-bedrooms at this point. So if anyone out there is looking for a roommate... I'm clean, don't smoke, and used to be a bartender so I make a mean cocktail...

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 pm

thegreatk wrote:
lfp wrote:WOW I'm getting excited too! I'm obviously ridiculously excited to not sleep for three years and start this bad-ass journal, but also spend more time with you all! Lawandi: did I meet you at ASD, I wonder...? And Jck: you knew it was inevitable that your sparkling wit and charm was going to win me over.

I'm pretty sure only Vista del Campo and Puerta Del Sol are furnished, while Verano Place and Palo Verde (the options directly across the street from the law building) are not furnished. But, as was previously stated, they are also not air conditioned.
I'm sure they can remove the furniture upon request! Oh, and IFP, I didn't go to ASD because at the time I had a lesser scholarship so UCI wasn't a realistic choice. But I've visited the campus before and it's beautiful.

We'll all have to meet in person next time we're there!

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

@lfp - I'm so stoked! This next year is gonna be awesome. I'm scared the more I think about it, but really excited, too.

So from what I've heard, people don't like puerta del sol much, even though it's close to the law school. It's really expensive, no washer/dryer in unit, and the parking is a 10 to 15 minute walk from the school. Vista del campo and vdc norte are a 15 minute walk from the law school itself.

This is me just repeating what I've heard others say. I got a spot in vdc norte by contacting them directly. I was initially on a waiting list, but it appears they go through it quickly. It's worth it.

@lawandi - sexuality and gender are distinct for me. I'm a man, and, although my gender is the same as my straight roommate's, my sexuality is quite opposite. They're definitely related, though :-) enough to make a kick-ass journal!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Oh, and both vdc norte and pds said they'd remove any unwanted furnishings before move in. And I must be spoiled (or from a crappy small town) because my family rented a nice four-bedroom house growing up for $350 a month!

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm

jck4487 wrote:

@lfp - I'm so stoked! This next year is gonna be awesome. I'm scared the more I think about it, but really excited, too.

So from what I've heard, people don't like puerta del sol much, even though it's close to the law school. It's really expensive, no washer/dryer in unit, and the parking is a 10 to 15 minute walk from the school. Vista del campo and vdc norte are a 15 minute walk from the law school itself.

This is me just repeating what I've heard others say. I got a spot in vdc norte by contacting them directly. I was initially on a waiting list, but it appears they go through it quickly. It's worth it.

@lawandi - sexuality and gender are distinct for me. I'm a man, and, although my gender is the same as my straight roommate's, my sexuality is quite opposite. They're definitely related, though :-) enough to make a kick-ass journal!
These are directions from Puerta Del Sol to the law building:
1. Head west on Adobe Cir toward S Verano Rd
0.3 mi
2. Take the 2nd right onto Pereira Dr
240 ft
Sounds like a five minute walk to me!!

And of course the two are distinct, I hope you're not offended! I just said that for succinctness in title, but you're definitely right.

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm

I just withdrew. GL to everyone!

jackwhiteiii

New

Post by jackwhiteiii » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I love how even the UCI TLS thread is welcoming and cordial, while others tend to be catty and pompous.

I really hope I get off of the waiting list as well, every person that withdraws gives me more hope to attend.

Someone above mentioned no A/C being a dealbreaker-- I live a few minutes away, and trust me you would never even use it!

Best of luck to all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 am

jackwhiteiii wrote:I love how even the UCI TLS thread is welcoming and cordial, while others tend to be catty and pompous.

I really hope I get off of the waiting list as well, every person that withdraws gives me more hope to attend.

Someone above mentioned no A/C being a dealbreaker-- I live a few minutes away, and trust me you would never even use it!

Best of luck to all.
@jack - you would never use the air conditioning? Really? But it's California...

@lawandi - I totally wasn't offended ;-) I go to BYU - I've grown a thick skin!

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 am

jck4487 wrote:
jackwhiteiii wrote:I love how even the UCI TLS thread is welcoming and cordial, while others tend to be catty and pompous.

Best of luck to all.
@jack - you would never use the air conditioning? Really? But it's California...

Can we have a sex v. gender v. sexuality debate everyday? This isn't sarcasm; I miss debating academic minutia with a decidedly sexually progressive flair.

And jck: when are you two moving out??

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:58 am

Best of luck to all.
Really? Is the ocean breeze that prominent? I've lived in the San Fernando Valley (LA) a large portion of my life, and the idea of living without AC in Socal seems pretty terrifying.

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:50 am

lfp wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

Best of luck to all.

Can we have a sex v. gender v. sexuality debate everyday? This isn't sarcasm; I miss debating academic minutia with a decidedly sexually progressive flair.

And jck: when are you two moving out??

Yes! I don't know if I've ever had a real discussion about it... I spend most of my time telling people at BYU that gays aren't all child molesters haha. Ok, I'm exaggerating, they're not that closed-minded.

We're moving out in the middle of August. Adam still has to finish school... four more months!!! But we're going to visit several times this summer (for our sanity). What about you? And did you pick PdS or VdC for housing? VdC has in-unit washer dryers! PdS doesn't. Adam is set on you teaching him about wine haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”