U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JakeL

Bronze

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by JakeL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 am

barklm wrote:About scholarships, I received the following email from Mr. Le last night:

"As for your scholarship application, the committee offered the first round of scholarships and will be looking to do more scholarship offers the first week of May after the deposits are due. I hope that gives you some guidance as to our timeline."

That seems pretty bush league to me. Why does no other school (that I know of) do this? Pretty easy way to collect $100 though!

lemonie

New

Post by lemonie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Someone may have already addressed this issue, but... did anybody snail mail their LOCI? When I called admissions, the lady "email is fine" but I'm just concerned that my email will just be forgotten...or swamped among other LOCIs...

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm

lemonie wrote:Someone may have already addressed this issue, but... did anybody snail mail their LOCI? When I called admissions, the lady "email is fine" but I'm just concerned that my email will just be forgotten...or swamped among other LOCIs...
I emailed my LOCI and attached a pdf copy. They got back to me within a few hours and let me know they added it, so they're pretty on top of things there when it comes to emailing it in.

lemonie

New

Post by lemonie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm

deja wrote:
lemonie wrote:Someone may have already addressed this issue, but... did anybody snail mail their LOCI? When I called admissions, the lady "email is fine" but I'm just concerned that my email will just be forgotten...or swamped among other LOCIs...
I emailed my LOCI and attached a pdf copy. They got back to me within a few hours and let me know they added it, so they're pretty on top of things there when it comes to emailing it in.
Thanks!! and good luck to all of us waitlisters... :D

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:30 am

Hey I got into UW and American as my top schools.

I've been waitlisted at a ton others - seems real trendy right now.

And waiting on some Cali schools.

I want to do international law. I already have an MA in int'l affairs and lots of exp. in the field. It seems like UW isn't that focused in it - would anyone recommend their program?

I know American is like the place for int'l law, but as a friend pointed out, I'd just be one of the many doing it there...

thanks in advance for ur replies!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm

xxinfinity wrote:Hey I got into UW and American as my top schools.

I want to do international law. I already have an MA in int'l affairs and lots of exp. in the field. It seems like UW isn't that focused in it - would anyone recommend their program?

I know American is like the place for int'l law, but as a friend pointed out, I'd just be one of the many doing it there...

Seattle's not really in a location to specialize in International Law. American is in DC --> International Law. I assume by International Law you mean working for some NGO/IGO or something along those lines, in which case, again being in DC, NYC or somewhere like that will give you those options. I know UW has some int law journals (Pacific Rim and maybe others), but they simply won't have the location access.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

PinkCow wrote:
xxinfinity wrote:Hey I got into UW and American as my top schools.

Seattle's not really in a location to specialize in International Law. American is in DC --> International Law. I assume by International Law you mean working for some NGO/IGO or something along those lines, in which case, again being in DC, NYC or somewhere like that will give you those options. I know UW has some int law journals (Pacific Rim and maybe others), but they simply won't have the location access.

I'd second this with the addition that if you're looking to specialize in Asia then UW might be the better place given their Asian law track and connections. Other international, though, and American might be your better choice. On the other hand, American is a distant third in a crowded and popular market (with one of those being GULC and we all know how many JDs they churn out each year), so UW might be the better choice if we're considering non-international options.

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 am

Heading to Seattle today to visit UW. Looking forward to checking out the law school :D

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

^ have fun! (I'm jealous)

Looks like a month or so before us WL's start hearing something?? :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 am

thanks so much for the answers!
Last edited by xxinfinity on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 am

xxinfinity wrote:thanks so much for the answers!

tho my decision is more like a full ride to UW vs. American.

I actually did my grad degree in DC so been there done that, and love Seattle... well let's see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone on the WL and in decision making!

Wait, no offense, but you got a full ride to UW and your best other option is American? Please explain...

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

This is kind of an odd question and one that might belong in another thread, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Does anyone know what job prospects are like for UW grads in California?

Doesn't seem good from what I can gather, not to mention that California's bar doesn't have reciprocity, which means I would have to take the CA bar exam.

If I had my way, I would be living in Seattle/the Northwest FOREVER, but my girlfriend is insisting that I at least research the possibility of moving to CA.

Thoughts on this? It seems to me that CA is saturated with grads from CA schools, but I could be wrong.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 am

JakeL wrote:

I actually did my grad degree in DC so been there done that, and love Seattle... well let's see how it goes.

Wait, no offense, but you got a full ride to UW and your best other option is American? Please explain...

What's to explain? Haven't we already established that there is no method whatsoever to UW's actions? Just let him/her bask in his/her full ride.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NicG

New

Post by NicG » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 pm

I emailed and received a confirmation saying it was in my file it also changed my status cecker to a new date, so I think it gets in there. Good luck!

NicG

New

Post by NicG » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 pm

chicityteacher wrote:This is kind of an odd question and one that might belong in another thread, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Does anyone know what job prospects are like for UW grads in California?

Doesn't seem good from what I can gather, not to mention that California's bar doesn't have reciprocity, which means I would have to take the CA bar exam.

If I had my way, I would be living in Seattle/the Northwest FOREVER, but my girlfriend is insisting that I at least research the possibility of moving to CA.

Thoughts on this? It seems to me that CA is saturated with grads from CA schools, but I could be wrong.
My guess is that its 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other, Local firms here (and granted Seattle is a smaller market) like to hire from our top school, or other top schools ie if you grad. UW a are up against a Harvard grad well...

From what I've heard from other UW grads who moved out of the area, it was more about who they knew in their personal network than that they went to UW. Very regional school. But that said, very good Regional school. Also if you are from Chicago you'll be paying out of state tuition either way CA or WA, pick the place you like the best. Good Luck

NicG

New

Post by NicG » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:54 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting :)
Thanks for making some room chihuahua - where you headed?

lemonie

New

Post by lemonie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm

NicG wrote:
I emailed and received a confirmation saying it was in my file it also changed my status cecker to a new date, so I think it gets in there. Good luck!
Care to let me know on the time frame as to when this happens?? Does it take couple of days (week) or so?? I emailed mine on Tuesday..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:09 pm

haha well... my app is sort of complicated. don't want to explain too much in the forum though.
i have been waitlisted at a lot of higher ranked schools... i think it's just really competitive w/ more ppl applying now.
I guess UW is more holistic in its examination and seems to really pride public interest. I think I'd advise any hopefuls to really push that part of their app.

JakeL wrote:

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

xxinfinity wrote:haha well... my app is sort of complicated. don't want to explain too much in the forum though.
i have been waitlisted at a lot of higher ranked schools... i think it's just really competitive w/ more ppl applying now.
I guess UW is more holistic in its examination and seems to really pride public interest. I think I'd advise any hopefuls to really push that part of their app.
You had better be a Gates PSL scholar or I'm going to tear Mr. Le a new one.

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:49 pm

NicG wrote:
chihuahua12 wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting :)
Thanks for making some room chihuahua - where you headed?
IUB :)

HereIGoAgain

New

Post by HereIGoAgain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm

gens1tb wrote:
deja wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
deja wrote:Hey, so I'm in the 3/11 decision 3/14 mailing waitlist crew, but I just checked my status checker (not sure why) and noticed it has been updated to decision 3/24, with no new mailings. Anyone else experience the same thing?
did you mail them anything subsequent to your wait list decision?
Yeah - just my loci, but I didn't think that would get a changed decision date.
Well, my loci caused my decision date to change too.
I would guess that it is because they took your LOCI as indicating your desire to remain on the waitlist...I think that makes sense, to distinguish between waitlist offered, and waitlist accepted...I'm in the crew too, will let you know if receipt of my LOCI changes my decision date, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jppatt16

New

Post by jppatt16 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, Mr. Le gave me a call a few days back and discussed finances/gaining in-state rates as a 2L and all that jazz. Not thrilled to be sending in my deposit -- even if it's a comparatively meager $100 -- before I have a complete picture of scholarships and loans to come, but UWash was/is my dream school, so there's never been much doubt that I was going to enroll anyway.

Noticed that there isn't an attending thread in the Class of 2014 forum yet, but have any of you done much in the way of apartment scouting?

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Just withdrew my admission. It was a very difficult decision. Hope this frees up a spot for someone. Good luck to all!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Will anyone be at the ASD next Friday?? I propose a meetup.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Will anyone be at the ASD next Friday?? I propose a meetup.
I might be going. Either way,try the College Inn. Closest decent bar to the law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”