Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Didnt see a Maryland thread yet, so I thought I'd start one!

The DC resident wishes the law school were in College Park, but the Ravens fan in me likes the idea of living in Baltimore. Sent my application off on October 8th. Today I sent them an email requesting that they hold my application until after I retake this 167 in December. My LSAT is above their 75th of 164 (according to LSN) but my GPA is WAYYY below their 3.38 25th percentile (sub 3.0). Zeus knows how this is going to pan out, but Im throwing my hat into the ring!

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I've sent in my app as well... we're pretty close numbers wise, but I'm not retaking and my GPA is even lower. We'll see what happens, I guess. Good luck to you!!

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 pm

snapdragon wrote:I've sent in my app as well... we're pretty close numbers wise, but I'm not retaking and my GPA is even lower. We'll see what happens, I guess. Good luck to you!!


OH, my GPA is not a 3.38. I WISH! LOL, that's their 25th percentile. Let me clean up that language. Im a sub 3.0 splitter. Chances are SLIM over this way

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
snapdragon wrote:I've sent in my app as well... we're pretty close numbers wise, but I'm not retaking and my GPA is even lower. We'll see what happens, I guess. Good luck to you!!


OH, my GPA is not a 3.38. I WISH! LOL, that's their 25th percentile. Let me clean up that language. Im a sub 3.0 splitter. Chances are SLIM over this way


Ugh, sorry, obvious RC fail over here tonight... it's been a long post-Halloween day, I guess ;)

Part of me wishes the school was in College Park as well, I had great fun visiting friends there in undergrad. But some good friends & family have really talked up Baltimore to me to the point where I'm pretty psyched about it!

However I've gotten no acknowledgment / status checker to stalk.. anyone else?

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

snapdragon wrote:
Ugh, sorry, obvious RC fail over here tonight... it's been a long post-Halloween day, I guess ;)

Part of me wishes the school was in College Park as well, I had great fun visiting friends there in undergrad. But some good friends & family have really talked up Baltimore to me to the point where I'm pretty psyched about it!

However I've gotten no acknowledgment / status checker to stalk.. anyone else?


Nah, me neither. However, I emailed them today to have them hold my application until January when scores come out, and they sent me an email stating that they would do so. So they obviously have it. Other than that I havent heard a word.

gz5hc9
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby gz5hc9 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:46 pm

I called the admissions office the other day, and they said they do not send confirmation e-mails. The woman also told me that they have not yet started reviewing applications.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:32 pm

gz5hc9 wrote:I called the admissions office the other day, and they said they do not send confirmation e-mails. The woman also told me that they have not yet started reviewing applications.


Oh, good. That will keep me from anxiety over here. Thanks for calling them!

lbeeman2007
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby lbeeman2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 am

Threw my hat in last week also.
157
3.6
Non-URM
UMD undergrad
MD resident
I know its a reach for me, but I'm hoping my residency, UG, and semi-early application will pull through for me.

vmiller
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby vmiller » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:42 am

Interesting...I applied last week as well. Do they really not send out any confirmation emails/status checkers? Does anyone who applied before know?

Also, I can't find any info on financial aid at Maryland. I'm 3.89/167 out of state. Will there be any money for little old me?

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:03 am

vmiller wrote:Interesting...I applied last week as well. Do they really not send out any confirmation emails/status checkers? Does anyone who applied before know?

Also, I can't find any info on financial aid at Maryland. I'm 3.89/167 out of state. Will there be any money for little old me?


There seems to be very little Maryland info on TLS. It's really odd, actually. But someone upthread called the admissions office, and they were the ones that said no confirm emails.

RKline
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby RKline » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm

I read through last year's UMD application thread. Some meantioned they could use the status checker online, but I haven't been given access to that. If they haven't started reviewing, perhaps, they haven't activated it yet for this year. Either way, according to the thread from last year, we all have about a month to wait until letters go out if UMD keeps with tradition.

pixystics
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby pixystics » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Talked to UMD today. They don't send out any confirmations. I sent in my app weeks ago and never heard anything. Rep confirmed they have my info but said they haven't started reviewing apps. Theyh may start using a status checker this year, but no guarantee. If so, they'll email people to let us know.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol A » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:08 pm

pixystics wrote:Talked to UMD today. They don't send out any confirmations. I sent in my app weeks ago and never heard anything. Rep confirmed they have my info but said they haven't started reviewing apps. Theyh may start using a status checker this year, but no guarantee. If so, they'll email people to let us know.


I applied 9/1, and having not seen this thread until just now, and having not received any confirmation, I called the admissions office today and they confirmed that they have my application and it is currently under review "meaning it has reached the committee level."

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol A » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Anyone looked at last year's thread to find out approximately when they started sending out decisions?

RKline
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby RKline » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 pm

RKline wrote:I read through last year's UMD application thread. Some meantioned they could use the status checker online, but I haven't been given access to that. If they haven't started reviewing, perhaps, they haven't activated it yet for this year. Either way, according to the thread from last year, we all have about a month to wait until letters go out if UMD keeps with tradition.


voila

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol A » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks. Sorry about the RC fail.
anyone from the area care to comment on living in baltimore? I like urban living, i don't like being stabbed or having bulletts wizzing by my head.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Capitol A wrote:Thanks. Sorry about the RC fail.
anyone from the area care to comment on living in baltimore? I like urban living, i don't like being stabbed or having bulletts wizzing by my head.


I live in Baltimore. Downtown surrounding the inner harbor area is really nice but it is a little pricey, especially if you are paying for everything with student loans. Baltimore gets a bad wrap but most places you will fine living most places in the city. If you decide to venture out for a cheaper place just go check it out at night to see if it will work for you -- like I said most people pay way too much to live in the nicer areas when most parts of the city are fine without crime problems.

RKline
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby RKline » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

No worries.

I'm from Baltimore but am not living there now. If you live near the school, you're living around other students from the law school and med schools. My sister is at the med school and hasn't had any problems. Just need to have your head about you when walking the streets like any other city. There are some good neighborhoods around the city as well: Fed Hill, Canton, Fells Point. Everything comes down to how far you want to be from the school and how much you want to pay for housing.

I wouldn't worry about shots being fired at you. You won't have enough money for people to steal when you're in law school anyhow.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby arvcondor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Sent mine in over the weekend. Also no confirmation.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Just got my status checker! I'm "In Review" as of tomorrow ;)

They said in their email that review may take up to 12 weeks, or possibly longer. Status checker should change to "Decision Rendered" but all decisions, in or out, will be mailed. No decisions will be emailed or available by phone.

gz5hc9
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby gz5hc9 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:Just got my status checker! I'm "In Review" as of tomorrow ;)

They said in their email that review may take up to 12 weeks, or possibly longer. Status checker should change to "Decision Rendered" but all decisions, in or out, will be mailed. No decisions will be emailed or available by phone.


exactly the same for me

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm

I just got mine too! Finally!!! And I've been under review since 11/16.

RKline
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby RKline » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:I just got mine too! Finally!!! And I've been under review since 11/16.


I'm in the same boat as law_monkey

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Maybe now this thread will start moving more. It's super sad that we're still only at 1 page. Let's show some Maryland love! :D

User avatar
Flett
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby Flett » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Got my status checker today as well. In review as of 11/24.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”