CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Gold

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by krad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 pm

typ3 wrote: Hopefully, but I submitted way late this cycle. It may hurt my chances at $ at a few places other than CU. If I go to DU or CU we'll have to hit the slopes sometime. I have been scouring the internet salivating about going to a school in Colorado so I can splurge on some pow skis.

If anyone wants to get a back country cat tour sometime :wink: It's on my bucket list.
Just saw this- def down if I'm in CO this fall!

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Still no word on a travel stipend. I did just get wait listed at Minnesota though, so the likelihood of attending Colorado has just gone up haha.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 pm

yeah, i also got resounding silence when i emailed yesterday about a travel stipend. if they'd send some damned scholarship info out at least we'd have something else to obsess about....

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I just wish schools were more transparent about the timeline of things. Illinois gets mad props for that.
I only have to hear back from 2 more schools so essentially my cycle is over but I'm still waiting on financial aid from a bunch of them. Grrrrr.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:Anyone know anything about leveraging CU for scholarships? I would really like to attend, but I would hate to turn down a nearly full at Minnesota for CU. My debt burden at UofM is looking like it will be around $20k overall. CU is obviously much higher with no scholarship $.
If you got that much at UMN, you should get some $$ from CU too. Keep in mind that in-state tuition at CU is a piece of cake to get for 2L/3L, and nearly impossible at UMN.

Oh, and CU doesn't force you to buy an overpriced crappy laptop. So that's another $1500 saved :-)
I don't need instate at UofM though, I have reciprocity. Hence it is a lot cheaper option. I will have to leverage CU with some buffalo chips or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:00 pm

typ3 wrote:
I don't need instate at UofM though, I have reciprocity. Hence it is a lot cheaper option. I will have to leverage CU with some buffalo chips or something.
Ah, I missed that point. Go to UofM. Even if you want to end up in Colorado eventually, you should be fine.

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Just found out that Colorado gives automatic in-state tuition to veterans, which would make Boulder more possible financially. Washington gives veterans 50% off though, decisions...ahhh...

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Ah, I missed that point. Go to UofM. Even if you want to end up in Colorado eventually, you should be fine.
But Chris, I want to ski with krad and the other awesome coloradians for 3 years! Minnesota has buck hill and wild mountain to choose from.... I mean, they produced lindsey kidlow/vonn but still.. That 300 feet of vertical isn't fooling anyone.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:14 pm

boarding>>>>>>> stupid U of M scholarship any day
:wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:boarding>>>>>>> stupid U of M scholarship any day
I also like the atmosphere at CU. It seems a lot more chill than UofM / Iowa. U of M is the worst pressure cooker of the three I think.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Is it chill? All the scholarships seem to have top 1/3 stipulation so I was wondering if things ever get intense?

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Is it chill? All the scholarships seem to have top 1/3 stipulation so I was wondering if things ever get intense?
Is that right? That stip is pretty much the reason why Loyola has nosedived in interest for me...not CU, too. :|

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:52 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Is it chill? All the scholarships seem to have top 1/3 stipulation so I was wondering if things ever get intense?
Wow. Thanks for taking the air out of my balloon. :wink:

But at least we'd have mountains and boarding!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:boarding>>>>>>> stupid U of M scholarship any day
Agreed. And I'd probably be singing a different tune if CU didn't waitlist me. I'm still bitter. Although, during undergrad I still made it out to Colorado 2-3 times a year for a minimum of 3 days to board. I'm sure I can do at least one trip over Christmas break during LS.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 am

i got a nice, personalized email from a faculty member encouraging me to accept my admission to CU. kinda cool, nice gesture, but can i please have a scholarship or at least a travel stipend?!?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 am

oldhippie wrote:i got a nice, personalized email from a faculty member encouraging me to accept my admission to CU. kinda cool, nice gesture, but can i please have a scholarship or at least a travel stipend?!?
aww that's cool! I want one lol

So guys...I don't think I'll be ending up at CU :( I got a scholarship from one of my schools that makes it a little over 30K cheaper, so I'd need a lot of money from CU to make this happen and my numbers aren't stellar so... :( I'll still be at ASD though so y'all can try to convince me that CU is worth the extra 30K there :lol:

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
oldhippie wrote:i got a nice, personalized email from a faculty member encouraging me to accept my admission to CU. kinda cool, nice gesture, but can i please have a scholarship or at least a travel stipend?!?

So guys...I don't think I'll be ending up at CU :( I got a scholarship from one of my schools that makes it a little over 30K cheaper, so I'd need a lot of money from CU to make this happen and my numbers aren't stellar so... :( I'll still be at ASD though so y'all can try to convince me that CU is worth the extra 30K there :lol:
that stinks but makes total sense. i'm getting nervous, too, hoping some $ pops up or i may have to consider some other options....have a blast at ASD having people convince you otherwise, though!!! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 am

oldhippie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

that stinks but makes total sense. i'm getting nervous, too, hoping some $ pops up or i may have to consider some other options....have a blast at ASD having people convince you otherwise, though!!! :D
It's sad how much all of this hinges on money, yet schools take so freaking long to send out scholarships. What are your other options if you don't get money from CU? I'll probably be headed to UF or one of the schools I'm waiting to hear back from.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 am

my best option is L&C with $$$ but i'm really torn because of the ranking and the fact that i want to end up in CO. i'm in at UW but no $ and i'm waiting to hear from Oregon. my heart is totally at CU, though...but if no $ at all, i'll look closely at L&C and Oregon (if they offer $)...

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 am

thewarflamingo wrote: It's sad how much all of this hinges on money, yet schools take so freaking long to send out scholarships. What are your other options if you don't get money from CU? I'll probably be headed to UF or one of the schools I'm waiting to hear back from.
+1 million to this. I still haven't heard back from CU, ridiculous. 3 mos is not necessary. I can't imagine how long I'll have to wait to hear about $ at CU if this is how long I have to await a decision, which really sucks because it pretty much means I'll likely end up somewhere else too. :|

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am

the web site at least says $ offers come out before desposits are due, but that could still be pretty freaking late. i'd really like to make a decision before april 15 for heaven's sake...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:46 am

I knew from looking at last year's thread that CU was going to take forever with money, so I was prepared for it, but its still irritating now that I actually am doing the waiting.

Oh well, nothing we can do, right?

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 am

LeDique wrote:I knew from looking at last year's thread that CU was going to take forever with money, so I was prepared for it, but its still irritating now that I actually am doing the waiting.

same here, i knew it would be march before we heard but i somehow thought it would be different for us. we're special, ya know? :wink:

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 am

oldhippie wrote:
LeDique wrote:I knew from looking at last year's thread that CU was going to take forever with money, so I was prepared for it, but its still irritating now that I actually am doing the waiting.

same here, i knew it would be march before we heard but i somehow thought it would be different for us. we're special, ya know? :wink:
Haha exactly what I was hoping, too.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 am

oldhippie wrote:

I thought it was going to be different for us too, but only because the acceptance letter said scholarships would be sent out starting in late Jan. I'm sure you guys will start hearing something before March though.

Also, with your numbers Oldhippie I bet you'll get a nice scholarship offer from CU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”