Cornell 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossingforHYS

Silver

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:57 am

processing 10/29....p.s...are your boxes on the bottom with no check on them...

complete 10/26

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am

per200ml wrote:So have there been cases where people have applied before Nov. 1 but their file didn't go complete until after the Nov. 15 EA deadline???? I'm actually a little worried about this
Yes. This happened to a few people last year. Since the office was swamped last year at this time, a few did not go complete until the last weeks of November. They still received EA decisions. The admission's office will not hold their being swamped against you. As long as you did everything on your end right, it should be fine.

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:21 am

Just applied last night. I saw in last year's thread that some people who applied after Nov. 1 but were complete before Nov 15 were considered Early Action as well...hopefully that will be the case with me, but I'm not counting on it.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 am

DorianGray89 wrote:Just applied last night. I saw in last year's thread that some people who applied after Nov. 1 but were complete before Nov 15 were considered Early Action as well...hopefully that will be the case with me, but I'm not counting on it.
+1

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:29 pm

does the dean certification need to be in by November 15th as well to qualify for EA, or just by February 1 like it says on the form?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:32 pm

I don't know how relevant this is to the rest of you, but I emailed the office to add an additional file to my application and I was told that they haven't started reviewing any applications yet.

(Their admissions office is very nice, fwiw)

lshamlet

Bronze

Post by lshamlet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Perch wrote:does the dean certification need to be in by November 15th as well to qualify for EA, or just by February 1 like it says on the form?
Pretty sure the Dean Cert. is only needed if you answered "yes" to the disciplinary action questions or what have you.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

I would advise that if you really like Cornell write a why Cornell essay. I got waitlisted virtually everywhere but got into Cornell after writing a why Cornell. I applied in late November and hadn't heard anything from them for a long time. I called and ask if they would want a why Cornell essay and they said it would be helpful. I wrote a why Cornell in January and got in two weeks later. After writing a why Georgetown I was one of the few taken off their ridiculously long wait list. I would call and ask if they want one before you write one and my evidence may not be representative but it is probably worth a shot.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 pm

acdisagod wrote:I would advise that if you really like Cornell write a why Cornell essay. I got waitlisted virtually everywhere but got into Cornell after writing a why Cornell. I applied in late November and hadn't heard anything from them for a long time. I called and ask if they would want a why Cornell essay and they said it would be helpful. I wrote a why Cornell in January and got in two weeks later. After writing a why Georgetown I was one of the few taken off their ridiculously long wait list. I would call and ask if they want one before you write one and my evidence may not be representative but it is probably worth a shot.
How the hell did you get waitlisted at BC with those numbers? I'm guessing YP??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:04 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
acdisagod wrote:I would advise that if you really like Cornell write a why Cornell essay. I got waitlisted virtually everywhere but got into Cornell after writing a why Cornell. I applied in late November and hadn't heard anything from them for a long time. I called and ask if they would want a why Cornell essay and they said it would be helpful. I wrote a why Cornell in January and got in two weeks later. After writing a why Georgetown I was one of the few taken off their ridiculously long wait list. I would call and ask if they want one before you write one and my evidence may not be representative but it is probably worth a shot.
How the hell did you get waitlisted at BC with those numbers? I'm guessing YP??
If getting off the waitlist was that easy for acdisagod, maybe Cornell YPs too.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I really don't know what happened at BC, but that was my second decision that I had received. My first was I got waitlisted at Georgetown so I started freaking out. I sent why X essays to NYU, Penn, Gtown, and Cornell. I didn't get into Penn or NYU but based on my numbers those were reaches anyway. I don't know for sure if Why X letters work but they are certainly worth a shot if the school says they want/accept them and you put thought into the essay.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:23 pm

acdisagod wrote:I really don't know what happened at BC, but that was my second decision that I had received. My first was I got waitlisted at Georgetown so I started freaking out. I sent why X essays to NYU, Penn, Gtown, and Cornell. I didn't get into Penn or NYU but based on my numbers those were reaches anyway. I don't know for sure if Why X letters work but they are certainly worth a shot if the school says they want/accept them and you put thought into the essay.
I can see why you would be waitlisted at Gtown since you were above/below....but BC?!?!?

Could you pm me your softs?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:27 pm

I didn't write a why Cornell when I applied. I recall the admissions office saying that it wouldn't really help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm

mths wrote:
I didn't write a why Cornell when I applied. I recall the admissions office saying that it wouldn't really help.
What were your numbers?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
mths wrote:
What were your numbers?
haha we had a whole PM conversation about this

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm

mths wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
mths wrote:
What were your numbers?
haha we had a whole PM conversation about this
<---- Bad memory.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 pm

lshamlet wrote:
Perch wrote:does the dean certification need to be in by November 15th as well to qualify for EA, or just by February 1 like it says on the form?
Pretty sure the Dean Cert. is only needed if you answered "yes" to the disciplinary action questions or what have you.

OK, so if I do need to answer yes (expunged record for a fine paid to the school for a drinking offense), is it due by the 15th? thanks.

also, i guess is that even what they mean by disciplinary action?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Still waiting for Cornell to have acknowledged anything beyond my payment.

Grrrr.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 am

Applied 10/12 and *still* processing. Starting to get a little worried, anyone else from around those dates still processing/complete?

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Application sent 10/13 and also still processing. Its highly frustrating, but I dont think we're alone.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Got my status checker today. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm

It scares me that a big, rich school like Cornell could be so hilariously slow with processing applications...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm

kk19131 wrote:It scares me that a big, rich school like Cornell could be so hilariously slow with processing applications...
The admissions office here is small and personal. Anytime I called them last year they already knew who I was [and my applications details] after I told them my name. Rest assured that your applications are at least getting the attention they deserve and, believe me, they will let you know if you've been accepted or not...eventually

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:50 pm

mths wrote:
kk19131 wrote:It scares me that a big, rich school like Cornell could be so hilariously slow with processing applications...
The admissions office here is small and personal. Anytime I called them last year they already knew who I was [and my applications details] after I told them my name. Rest assured that your applications are at least getting the attention they deserve and, believe me, they will let you know if you've been accepted or not...eventually
This scares me into believing that softs actually matter.

Why else would they spend so much time reviewing our apps?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
mths wrote:
This scares me into believing that softs actually matter.

Why else would they spend so much time reviewing our apps?
You're at/above the medians. You have nothing to worry about!

Me, on the other hand... :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”