IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 pm

japes wrote:itt: ut honors undergrads compare dick sizes over which program prepared them less for real life
well said. I like you.

AdamAndSteve

Bronze

Post by AdamAndSteve » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
japes wrote:itt: ut honors undergrads compare dick sizes over which program prepared them less for real life
well said. I like you.
Hahaha, well put. In reality, I'm just excited to be in at UT. Looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Just sent my deposit!! Sort of a last minute decision, but it feels like the right choice. See you guys in August!!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm

To celebrate being accepted, I went on a bike ride around the city.

Welcome to Austin, y'all!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
giddybiscuit wrote:I'm looking for an apartment in Austin and I feel totally lost. I would like to be in a building with other law students but I have no idea where they usually live?...
I went down and looked recently and apparently they are spread out all over the place. I know many live just north of campus, but a lot of that stuff is really old and pretty much a dump. If you want to live somewhere new then you will have to be farther away. There are condos close to campus and some are pretty nice but it's pretty much a crapshoot if they've been updated in the last 30 years.
Just to revisit this. You can find nice remodeled places just north of the law school. I myself just pre-leased a remodeled duplex only a couple blocks north of the school with hardwood, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, in unit washer/dryer, big bedrooms, etc. Judging by Google Streetview it isn't the only remodeled place in the neighborhood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
giddybiscuit wrote:I'm looking for an apartment in Austin and I feel totally lost. I would like to be in a building with other law students but I have no idea where they usually live?...
I went down and looked recently and apparently they are spread out all over the place. I know many live just north of campus, but a lot of that stuff is really old and pretty much a dump. If you want to live somewhere new then you will have to be farther away. There are condos close to campus and some are pretty nice but it's pretty much a crapshoot if they've been updated in the last 30 years.
Just to revisit this. You can find nice remodeled places just north of the law school. I myself just pre-leased a remodeled duplex only a couple blocks north of the school with hardwood, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, in unit washer/dryer, big bedrooms, etc. Judging by Google Streetview it isn't the only remodeled place in the neighborhood.
Price? I just leased something on the edge of west campus for $600 so I'm wondering if I got a good deal.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
Price? I just leased something on the edge of west campus for $600 so I'm wondering if I got a good deal.
Probably so.

Where on the edge of west campus? I'm assuming north at that price.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

japes wrote:
Probably so.

right by spicy pickle. Also, I have my own bathroom

beaubois

New

Post by beaubois » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:35 pm

My post concerns the best areas to live for UT law students. I've lived in Austin for several years and I think that living east of highway 35 is a very good option for affordable living near the school. You can find 3 bedrooms for under $1000/mo that would take maybe 10 minutes bike ride to the law school. Many of the best bars and restaurants (imo obv.) are just east of 35, especially on 11th, 6th, and 1st street (caesar chavez). To me, much "cooler" than west campus fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
japes wrote:
Probably so.

right by thai noodle house. Also, I have my own bathroom
FTFY

ps that sounds pretty fair for a place thereabouts. fortunately you're probably pretty removed from the circus of west campus.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 pm

japes wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
japes wrote:
Probably so.

right by thai noodle house. Also, I have my own bathroom
FTFY

ps that sounds pretty fair for a place thereabouts. fortunately you're probably pretty removed from the circus of west campus.
Yea that's what I was told. I would have liked to have saved a few bucks on the east side, but I'm living with a friend, and not paying TOO much.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Just paid the seat deposit. Gonna try and make it down to Austin at some point this summer for a visit. When/how does everyone figure out housing/do a lot of people live with random 1L roommates?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
$2K split three ways.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:41 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Just paid the seat deposit. Gonna try and make it down to Austin at some point this summer for a visit. When/how does everyone figure out housing/do a lot of people live with random 1L roommates?
Check the facebook group. A lot of incoming 1Ls in your boat.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 50563&ap=1

Also check out the FreshLaw Website Discussion Board on Housing. There you will find even more potential roommates. Also, among the posts there you will see that Dean Ingram has recommended that most 1Ls find a place to live by June 1.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 am

Cade McNown wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Just paid the seat deposit. Gonna try and make it down to Austin at some point this summer for a visit. When/how does everyone figure out housing/do a lot of people live with random 1L roommates?
Check the facebook group. A lot of incoming 1Ls in your boat.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 50563&ap=1

Also check out the FreshLaw Website Discussion Board on Housing. There you will find even more potential roommates. Also, among the posts there you will see that Dean Ingram has recommended that most 1Ls find a place to live by June 1.
Oof, June 1st is so soon! I guess most landlords allow you to do a pre-lease then? Argh, it's going to be tough trying to squeeze a visit out to Austin in May, and I never rent a place without seeing it (I've been burned in the past).

AdamAndSteve

Bronze

Post by AdamAndSteve » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 pm

FWIW, I've leased in late July to move into a nice place in early August at a heavily discounted rate. It's kind of a cat-and-mouse game, but there are typically plenty of places available quite late into the season. This is anecdotal evidence, but it seems to be a recurring storyline every year.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:32 pm

crit_racer wrote:To celebrate being accepted, I went on a bike ride around the city.

Welcome to Austin, y'all!
It's 45 and cloudy in Boise. Thank you for this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:05 pm

To those who were waitlisted and then accepted, did your status checkers change to accepted?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 pm

aquyenl wrote:To those who were waitlisted and then accepted, did your status checkers change to accepted?
No, and I can't log into Freshlaw either. What about the rest of the recent admits?

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Yours still says waitlist offer extended? I'm without my phone for 10 days and its gonna kill me to not know that long. Either way, I'm going to fight my way into ut. I've already scheduled for the june LSAT.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:32 pm

There is now an extra 80k waiting for you guys

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

tipler4213 wrote:There is now an extra 80k waiting for you guys
I call dibs...

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Paid my deposit. I've seen some decent apartment prices on padmapper in the riverside/pleasant valley rd area. Any native Austin residents know if this is a good part of town? Are there many undergrads there? Google maps says this is 30 minutes away by public transit, 10 minutes by car, this seems manageable.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I wouldn't do riverside, honestly. Crime rate is pretty high and I've heard some horror stories from fellow UT undergrads.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:43 pm

CMDantes wrote:I wouldn't do riverside, honestly. Crime rate is pretty high and I've heard some horror stories from fellow UT undergrads.
Is that the same as pleasant valley? I don't really know regions but they're next to each other on google maps and SpotCrime shows riverside as yellow but pleasant valley as mostly green.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”