South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jacketman03

Silver

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm

roarthur wrote:
merc280 wrote:
chrisiQ wrote:In today via email at 10:07 lol :)

congratulations. and here I am still waiting. I think I will call them up today.

Please let us know what they say! I'm still waiting myself!
They've been going at a pretty decent clip over the last week, decisions almost every day it seems.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Just got off the phone with admissions. They said the status checker is going to be updated as soon as there is movement on the file. Currently they are picking random files and having three committee members go through them,so i should keep checking my status checker for updates but they should definitely have a decision by mid march at the latest.

There is hope, I just hope I get in.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

I hate and love this thread. Keeps me moderately sane, cuz others are going through same crud as me, while slowly driving me insane, because others are getting that feeling of relief before me. Still nothing here (application complete) :roll:
Last edited by Tonio on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

merc280 wrote:Just got off the phone with admissions. They said the status checker is going to be updated as soon as there is movement on the file. Currently they are picking random files and having three committee members go through them,so i should keep checking my status checker for updates but they should definitely have a decision by mid march at the latest.

There is hope, I just hope I get in.
At least the first payment is due 4/15 rather than 4/1 like most schools. Although if you banked on getting in to STCL and didn't send money elsewhere and the worst happened...yeah.. lol.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Tonio wrote:I hate and love this thread. Keeps me moderately sane, cuz others are going through same crud as me, while slowly driving me insane, because others are getting that feeling of relief before me. Still nothing here (application complete) :roll:
Yeah! I agree, the waiting process is extremely nerve-racking when other people are getting in all the time. Just think a decision HAS to come soon.

By the way (to everyone reading this) if you are considering big scholarships, think again.
--LinkRemoved--

Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.
Median grant amount 3,400. Half to full tuition 5 people (0.4%), Full tuition 1 person (0.1%) and more than full tuition 1 person (0.1 %)
What this means to me: that VERY few people get anything, and of those like 99% get far less than half tuition. It appears that the median grant amount of 3,400 would actually just be from the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, which is availible to private schools to help offset the difference from public school's costs (supposedly around 2,000-4000 awarded) So, basically we shouldn't expect much, if anything. It is hard to justify an estimated cost of "49,640" when Arkansas in Little Rock is 11,000 per year without any scholarship (plus low living cost, and they give residency rates to all students) but then again, I love Texas and was so impressed by the Trial Advocacy program at my visit there that STCL is really worth the extra dough.

Anyone else having to make a big decision between this school, that specifically meets your interests and another, much cheaper, respectable school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm

txadv11 wrote:Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.
Median grant amount 3,400. Half to full tuition 5 people (0.4%), Full tuition 1 person (0.1%) and more than full tuition 1 person (0.1 %)
What this means to me: that VERY few people get anything, and of those like 99% get far less than half tuition. It appears that the median grant amount of 3,400 would actually just be from the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, which is availible to private schools to help offset the difference from public school's costs (supposedly around 2,000-4000 awarded) So, basically we shouldn't expect much, if anything. It is hard to justify an estimated cost of "49,640" when Arkansas in Little Rock is 11,000 per year without any scholarship (plus low living cost, and they give residency rates to all students) but then again, I love Texas and was so impressed by the Trial Advocacy program at my visit there that STCL is really worth the extra dough.

Anyone else having to make a big decision between this school, that specifically meets your interests and another, much cheaper, respectable school?
You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.

You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.
I have thought about this several times, myself. The only answer I have come up with is that if 75,000 is the AVERAGE...then you could possibly assume the top 10 percent--financially speaking(or pick a reasonable number), are having parents pay much of the cost, or given the high number of part-timers, are career professionals and that is why the average is so low. Don't forget this school has a slightly higher average age, so the chance that people are married (and maybe have a supportive spouse?) is greater. My guess is this data is skewed and the median would be a better measurement. Going off of the sheet that STCL gave me, the estimated COA for the 2011-2012 year is 49,640...so lets say 50,000 -3500, TEG (grant) 46,500/yr. So I'm assuming we are talking 150,000ish, given that the majority of our loans accrue 7.9% interest while we are in school.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

jacketman03 wrote: You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.
My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote: You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.
My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.
Good call, I forgot to factor in the Houston residents prior to LS!

The more I think about it, the more this will cost. I think the "13,500" they cite as the average room and board, is only for 9 months. Since I'm unlikely to move back to my parent's house during the summer, we are talking more and more money. :shock: I'm worried this will get out of control fast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

upfish wrote:
Yeah, my wife will be supporting me while I'm in LS, but unless she gets a job with Houston ISD, I'll have to take out at least 10-15k so we can pay the bills, etc. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the scholarship info comes out, huh?

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:47 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
upfish wrote:
Yeah, my wife will be supporting me while I'm in LS, but unless she gets a job with Houston ISD, I'll have to take out at least 10-15k so we can pay the bills, etc. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the scholarship info comes out, huh?
And, since I'm being a very lazy person, when is that supposed to happen again? Mid-March?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

TT09 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
upfish wrote:
And, since I'm being a very lazy person, when is that supposed to happen again? Mid-March?
I think they said end of March, and I think it was upfish that gave us that nugget of info.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

upfish wrote:It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.
+1. Born and raised in Houston, so I don't mind hanging around a little while longer.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, my wife prefers Houston to the Metroplex, so I guess that means I'm comfortable with Houston.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:08 pm

jacketman03 wrote:

Well, my wife prefers Houston to the Metroplex, so I guess that means I'm comfortable with Houston.
:lol:

txag10

Bronze

Post by txag10 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm JAG, so I get to leave Houston for four years, but I agree; STCL is for Houston lovers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ab7

New

Post by ab7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I guess there was not much movement today...no reports of acceptance?

TXmas

New

Post by TXmas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Thank God! Received my acceptance e-mail today at 10:30am!!!

graceful1

New

Post by graceful1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 pm

TXmas wrote:Thank God! Received my acceptance e-mail today at 10:30am!!!
Congratulations!

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Nuttin here. Congrats on the acceptance

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

massumeh18

New

Post by massumeh18 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 am

I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

massumeh18 wrote:I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(
Doesnt look like they have any rhyme or reason to the order people are reviewed think its 100% random. Or atleast i hope otherwise maybe i should read something into the length of time its taken for me to get a response

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Tonio wrote:
massumeh18 wrote:I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(
Doesnt look like they have any rhyme or reason to the order people are reviewed think its 100% random. Or atleast i hope otherwise maybe i should read something into the length of time its taken for me to get a response

Yeah same here. Brutal waiting period.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Got the admitted student reception email just now.
Anyone going to the Dallas one? Looks like 1 in Austin, 1 in Dallas, and 3-4 other ones in Houston, mainly towards the end of march.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”