U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brupe

Bronze

Re: U. Miami Applicants c/o 2014

Post by brupe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 pm

UGH Miami is so slow! I applied the 15th and still don't have an acknowledgment or CaneID yet!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 pm

^ I know I applied the 7th so LSAC got its request the 8th and paper documents had to be retrieved. I called to fish for details aka play the ignorance card a few days ago and I was told I should get my link with my decision by the 24th. Hopefully, that's accurate and not just, "get the eff off the phone". lol. Would have posted this after the conversation but ever paranoid, I decided to wait a few days in the name of anonymity. Hahaha. Though I seriously doubt this would cause any problems.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:09 pm

I submitted my application Sept. 1st. I got the "Acknowledgement of your University of Miami School of Law Application" email on Sept. 3rd. I'm sure there weren't nearly as many being submitted at that time though..

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:I submitted my application Sept. 1st. I got the "Acknowledgement of your University of Miami School of Law Application" email on Sept. 3rd. I'm sure there weren't nearly as many being submitted at that time though..
Oh, I was acknowledged a bit back and have a "MyUM" I was fishing for potential admission info by playing ignorance card. Basically asking whether I was complete, as I "couldn't see a status on my account". She asked for my LSDAS number and gave me the afore mentioned answer.

gdizz01

New

Post by gdizz01 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Good luck everyone! Just a note on housing-

Rather than looking to rent, consider buying. The market has gotten really battered in the recession and you can scoup condos in luxury high-rises on miami beach for super cheap right now- think like $90,000. I've been in or around NYC my whole life, but have a pretty strong desire to relocate to the miami beach area. If I get into u miami with decent money, I'll very strongly consider going, and instead of dumping student loan money on rent for 3 years, I'll invest it into a mortgage, have my apartment paid off 3 years after I graduate, and then only have my student loans to contend with, and no rent (there will be small maintenance fees, but that can just be 3-400/month, and with rent out of the way as what's typically someone's biggest expense, that frees up a lot of income to do other things). Just a thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

musicalmissionary

New

Post by musicalmissionary » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 pm

gdizz01 wrote:Good luck everyone! Just a note on housing-

Rather than looking to rent, consider buying. The market has gotten really battered in the recession and you can scoup condos in luxury high-rises on miami beach for super cheap right now- think like $90,000. I've been in or around NYC my whole life, but have a pretty strong desire to relocate to the miami beach area. If I get into u miami with decent money, I'll very strongly consider going, and instead of dumping student loan money on rent for 3 years, I'll invest it into a mortgage, have my apartment paid off 3 years after I graduate, and then only have my student loans to contend with, and no rent (there will be small maintenance fees, but that can just be 3-400/month, and with rent out of the way as what's typically someone's biggest expense, that frees up a lot of income to do other things). Just a thought.
I lived on South Beach from 2004 until 4 months ago (1 of those years in Brickell while I got my MBA at UM), so let me help you ground your expectations in reality. You won't find a condo for $90k on Miami Beach, or any beach near UM for that matter. Miami's real estate crash is well known, but the beach-side properties were less effected because of the relative scarcity and high demand for such property. 1br condos on the beach that used to sell for $299,000 might sell now for $239,000 or $200,000 at the lowest. And maintenance fees are more like $600+.

The best deals are in downtown Miami where there's a glut of real estate inventory. And yes, most of the properties are beautiful and priced to sell. That's most likely where I'll live when I move back to Miami (assuming my wife lands a residency at UM). And you can get to UM on the Metrorail from downtown or Brickell. It's actually very convenient as driving to UM on US1 is a pain in the ass and parking on campus sucks! So don't hold your breath on finding a condo for $90k on Miami Beach and take a closer look in downtown Miami. There's probably even better deals just North of downtown along the Biscayne corridor, but then you'd have to drive.

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 am

alicrimson wrote:^ I know I applied the 7th so LSAC got its request the 8th and paper documents had to be retrieved. I called to fish for details aka play the ignorance card a few days ago and I was told I should get my link with my decision by the 24th. Hopefully, that's accurate and not just, "get the eff off the phone". lol. Would have posted this after the conversation but ever paranoid, I decided to wait a few days in the name of anonymity. Hahaha. Though I seriously doubt this would cause any problems.
My app was transmitted on 11/05. I'm literally dying. Does that mean I'll probably get my answer ~24th also or is that not certain? I think I'm going to get in but that could sure ruin a great Thanksgiving dinner...

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:53 am

As a lifelong Miami resident the comments about property are really off base. The last 2 years I have followed the restate market religiously. Downtown Miami did drop tremendously after bubble burst but has significantly stabilized b/c of increased renting and speculators coming in cash buying up multiple units. Between downtown and Miami beach the best deals exist in the beach area (not waterfront). There is a significant amount of 1bed/1bath 900 sq ft units for under 200,000 in Miami beach area compared to downtown area. The problem across the board is very high HOA fees which usually are $400-700 in both areas. Property maintenance is very expensive in South Florida b/c of weather and safety regulations (hurricanes) required by local governments. Also, while Florida does not have an income tax we do have a property tax (city of Miami 8.2 millage rate and Miami beach 5.8 rate ex. $200,000 property with a homestead exemption of $25,000 they will pay roughly $1450.00 a year in taxes in city of Miami). Unless you have money saved up or another source of income besides student loans be very careful with the idea of buying property in Miami. There is a reason why South Florida is one of the worst foreclosure areas in the country.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:24 am

jdhakert wrote:
alicrimson wrote:^ I know I applied the 7th so LSAC got its request the 8th and paper documents had to be retrieved. I called to fish for details aka play the ignorance card a few days ago and I was told I should get my link with my decision by the 24th. Hopefully, that's accurate and not just, "get the eff off the phone". lol. Would have posted this after the conversation but ever paranoid, I decided to wait a few days in the name of anonymity. Hahaha. Though I seriously doubt this would cause any problems.
My app was transmitted on 11/05. I'm literally dying. Does that mean I'll probably get my answer ~24th also or is that not certain? I think I'm going to get in but that could sure ruin a great Thanksgiving dinner...
Considering it will be Thanksgiving week-- prob not. I would predict an extra week's time, because adcomms needs breaks too :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bookofcarpetsamples

New

Post by bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:21 pm

has anyone else NOT received an email to set up a MyUM account? i applied on 11/09.

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I havent either. I applied 11/16 and no email at all yet.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:has anyone else NOT received an email to set up a MyUM account? i applied on 11/09.
You may want to check on that. I submitted the 7th so they wouldn't have gotten it until the 8th and I've had my account for ages.

ballboy899

New

Post by ballboy899 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm

did anyone who clicked on that acceptance link before and had it say there was an error now have a regular congratulations and full letter without it saying error?!?
I'm hoping this means I'm in even though I haven't gotten an email and it didn't come up when I logged in to MyUM, only when I click that link that was posted a few pages back..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 pm

ballboy899 wrote:did anyone who clicked on that acceptance link before and had it say there was an error now have a regular congratulations and full letter without it saying error?!?
I'm hoping this means I'm in even though I haven't gotten an email and it didn't come up when I logged in to MyUM, only when I click that link that was posted a few pages back..
Jesus... what??? Are you saying that you are getting an error message now when before you just got the Congratulations message after clicking the link? What kind of error message are you referring to? I never saw a full letter before... (I didn't get the email yet either.) The only thing it said after clicking that link was congratulations with a message about there being a problem w/ my letter.

Edit: Disregard... I gotcha. I can't check to see right now because I'm on my phone, but when I get home I'll let you know if mine has changed as well.

ballboy899

New

Post by ballboy899 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 am

yea it said there was a problem before and now i have the full letter..so i just want to get an email or something when i log in just to know its official lol

Rgaliana

New

Post by Rgaliana » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 am

ballboy899 wrote:did anyone who clicked on that acceptance link before and had it say there was an error now have a regular congratulations and full letter without it saying error?!?
I used to have the error, now it's the full letter... I have no idea what's going on. I feel like this is a glitch or something.

Rgaliana

New

Post by Rgaliana » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:00 am

If you still get the "There's a problem with your letter" message when you click on that link, let me know please. I think my Alma Mater may be flooded with thousands of dollars in wrongfully submitted seat deposits if this is actually a glitch :lol:
Last edited by Rgaliana on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gdizz01

New

Post by gdizz01 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:36 am

musicalmissionary wrote:

I lived on South Beach from 2004 until 4 months ago (1 of those years in Brickell while I got my MBA at UM), so let me help you ground your expectations in reality. You won't find a condo for $90k on Miami Beach, or any beach near UM for that matter. Miami's real estate crash is well known, but the beach-side properties were less effected because of the relative scarcity and high demand for such property. 1br condos on the beach that used to sell for $299,000 might sell now for $239,000 or $200,000 at the lowest. And maintenance fees are more like $600+.

The best deals are in downtown Miami where there's a glut of real estate inventory. And yes, most of the properties are beautiful and priced to sell. That's most likely where I'll live when I move back to Miami (assuming my wife lands a residency at UM). And you can get to UM on the Metrorail from downtown or Brickell. It's actually very convenient as driving to UM on US1 is a pain in the ass and parking on campus sucks! So don't hold your breath on finding a condo for $90k on Miami Beach and take a closer look in downtown Miami. There's probably even better deals just North of downtown along the Biscayne corridor, but then you'd have to drive.
I don't know enough about miami to debate the merits of your argument per se (although someone above me has directly challenged your assertion that downtown is cheaper than beach). Anyway, either way, I wasn't speaking from the perspective of someone who's done thorough market research- but I am speaking from the perspective of someone who's related to a real estate agent in miami, and who has personally found condos in miami beach (not south beach, but more northern parts) for $90,000. These may be risky buys with buildings whose cash flows are so threatened by mass exoduses that the entire building itself may be in danger of forclosure, in which case buyers could potentially lose their investment. But nonetheless, whether you've found them or not, these properties do exist, as I have personally witnessed.

please see ex:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

oh whoops in like 10 seconds I already found a bunch of under $90,000 properties in miami beach, some of them looking pretty nice actually soooooooo...perhaps you havent been following the market as closely as you think you've been?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 am

I have the full letter now as well. But on the main myUM page (after you log in), there is also a new "Law Admissions" section with a link named "View Admissions Documents Needed." Anyone else have this?
If you still get the "There's a problem with your letter" message when you click on that link, let me know please. I think my Alma Mater may be flooded with thousands of dollars in wrongfully submitted seat deposits of this is actually a glitch :lol:
And I don't think it's a glitch. There is at least one person who clicked that link and got a waitlist, so I suppose it's accurate. I'm with the poster above though... send us the damn email so we can call it official!!

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:59 am

cartercl wrote:I have the full letter now as well. But on the main myUM page (after you log in), there is also a new "Law Admissions" section with a link named "View Admissions Documents Needed." Anyone else have this?
If you still get the "There's a problem with your letter" message when you click on that link, let me know please. I think my Alma Mater may be flooded with thousands of dollars in wrongfully submitted seat deposits of this is actually a glitch :lol:
And I don't think it's a glitch. There is at least one person who clicked that link and got a waitlist, so I suppose it's accurate. I'm with the poster above though... send us the damn email so we can call it official!!
I got the the full "Congratulations" letter now too but I am waiting for confirmation. Yesterday when I called, i was told I should get a decision by Wednesday.

ballboy899

New

Post by ballboy899 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 am

I got the the full "Congratulations" letter now too but I am waiting for confirmation. Yesterday when I called, i was told I should get a decision by Wednesday.[/quote]

same here..i just want to know for sure already!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

musicalmissionary

New

Post by musicalmissionary » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:53 pm

gdizz01 wrote:
musicalmissionary wrote:

I don't know enough about miami to debate the merits of your argument per se (although someone above me has directly challenged your assertion that downtown is cheaper than beach). Anyway, either way, I wasn't speaking from the perspective of someone who's done thorough market research- but I am speaking from the perspective of someone who's related to a real estate agent in miami, and who has personally found condos in miami beach (not south beach, but more northern parts) for $90,000. These may be risky buys with buildings whose cash flows are so threatened by mass exoduses that the entire building itself may be in danger of forclosure, in which case buyers could potentially lose their investment. But nonetheless, whether you've found them or not, these properties do exist, as I have personally witnessed.

please see ex:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

oh whoops in like 10 seconds I already found a bunch of under $90,000 properties in miami beach, some of them looking pretty nice actually soooooooo...perhaps you havent been following the market as closely as you think you've been?
I stand corrected. I'm only familiar with prices south of 20th, basically South Beach. And while I knew things got cheaper as you go up, I didn't know they got that cheap. I would be extremely wary of those older properties though. Request a full disclosure of any special assessments passed by those buildings in the last 5 years. And go spend some time down there. Those middle areas of the beach are a far cry from life south of 20th. I admit I'm biased. But having everything you need within walking distance is a big deal for me, which is what you get in South Beach and to a lesser degree in downtown (although the Metrorail connecting downtown to UM is a big plus). But all that comes with a price, so good luck!

Rgaliana

New

Post by Rgaliana » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 pm

I just received my acceptance letter via snail mail. It's dated for Monday, but I received it today since I live in Miami. If you have the full letter on the website, there may be one heading your way.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:46 pm

So do I really need to be the one to ask this question: Hurricanes Football tickets... Do law students get them?

Rgaliana

New

Post by Rgaliana » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 pm

cartercl wrote:So do I really need to be the one to ask this question: Hurricanes Football tickets... Do law students get them?
At SunLife Stadium, you just swipe your student ID and you're in. You have access to $25.00 guest passes for your family and friends too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”