Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
misterbingley

Bronze

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Post by misterbingley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
misterbingley wrote:I don't know. I feel like LSAC procedures are "supreme" over scholarship "contracts." Essentially, that you can't tacitly agree to sign over your rights because the LSAC provisions protects them even from yourself.
I don't know if LSAC has any binding power over the member schools. It wouldn't be called a "statement of good practice". Also members schools can choose to practice "bad practice" or "not-so-good practice", and I am not sure what power LSAC has over schools' actual practices anyway.

Actually here:
http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=44

Read second paragraph, LSAC does not enforce that statement. It's voluntary compliance.
Oh. When you're right, you're right. I guess it's only useful as a negotiating tool to try to extend deadlines then.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 pm

misterbingley wrote: Oh. When you're right, you're right. I guess it's only useful as a negotiating tool to try to extend deadlines then.
It's my homework routine - find reference before making claims lol

That's why I thought the idea is funny, try negotiating with the school by telling them that they are not playing nice...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

thecilent wrote: Ha For real man. Totally didn't think I would be at nyu. Really kinda excited though - just to start ls in general. Feels like I've been in this whole process foreverrr
I went through 2 cycles, about 16 months now :shock:

It's really starting to sink in finally. It's exciting to think we'll be in law school in just a few month, getting legal summer gigs by this time next year. It's pretty damn cool.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thecilent wrote: Ha For real man. Totally didn't think I would be at nyu. Really kinda excited though - just to start ls in general. Feels like I've been in this whole process foreverrr

It's really starting to sink in finally. It's exciting to think we'll be in law school in just a few month, getting legal summer gigs by this time next year. It's pretty damn cool.
AHHH, that's terrifying! :shock:

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

AHHH, that's terrifying! :shock:
hopefully getting legal summer gigs haha

I agree with both of you.. exciting and slightly terrifying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 pm

thecilent wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote: hopefully getting legal summer gigs haha

I agree with both of you.. exciting and slightly terrifying.
I didn't say "paid summer gigs" :D

You won't feel terrified until around Christmas time. Enjoy Sept - Nov. :)

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Real life? :shock:

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:37 pm

sometimes i look back and realize that the time I've spent on TLS (started lurking last year) is 2/3 of the time that i'll actually be in law school. and then i'm like :shock:

aimee

New

Post by aimee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:53 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Also, page 180!!! Mentioning it for good luck! :D
Yay, can't believe it's Page 180 already. Still surviving. Can't wait to get over with it. If I do not get accepted, then it is time to seriously look for a new job and to buy a house. Otherwise, I will kiss my house downpayment goodbye.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

This thread always makes me so happy.

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 am

Some people might also just be confused about the language of their scholarship agreements.

For instance, the RTK agreement at NYU says I have not accepted binding offers elsewhere, and I am withdrawing from all offers that I have received from other schools. It does not say, for instance, I am withdrawing from waitlists, or I am withdrawing outstanding applications to schools from which I have not received offers. So I think you could technically be within the letter of the agreement if you say I do intend to go and have withdrawn from all outstanding offers, but I still have applications pending and if I get accepted at x school tomorrow my intention will change.

That said, this would be pretty low, since a lot of people badly wanted that scholarship and didn't get it, and if you wait too long to back out they might have already made other plans, or the school might just not re-extend the offer after having already given them the bad news (the agreement also explicitly points out that accepting the offer forecloses somebody else from receiving it). And it's a pure hypothetical in my own case: I'm 100% sold on NYU & the Root Program, and wouldn't go elsewhere at this point. (And I'll be withdrawing my application to Stanford, which has remained under review since mid January.)

Just saying it might not be the case that schools are making people sign contracts contrary to the (non-binding) rules outlined on the Yale Admissions Blog. It might rather be the case that people are confused about what the thing they're signing literally says.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:33 am

thecilent wrote:If I could wish two ppl into Stanford it would be cardinals and R6. Can either of you just come to nyu plz
This is the truest post I have ever read. If SLS only knew... they would surely admit both of you!

Also, if either of you end up at NYU by chance... We can go get some drinks this fall. Seriously, I really really hope you guys get into Stanford. I think all of TLS would be celebrating with you!

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
thecilent wrote:If I could wish two ppl into Stanford it would be cardinals and R6. Can either of you just come to nyu plz
This is the truest post I have ever read. If SLS only knew... they would surely admit both of you!

Also, if either of you end up at NYU by chance... We can go get some drinks this fall. Seriously, I really really hope you guys get into Stanford. I think all of TLS would be celebrating with you!
I propose to have knock added to this group :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 am

The Stig wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

True story. What was I/we thinking?!?!?

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 am

The Stig wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Last three acceptances? :mrgreen:

Irony?

ryukyu2006

New

Post by ryukyu2006 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:57 am

I got in yesterday by email.
With a rather poor LSAT score (below 170), I feel extremely lucky and humbled by my admission to Stanford. I wish you guys good luck.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:31 am

ryukyu2006 wrote:I got in yesterday by email.
With a rather poor LSAT score (below 170), I feel extremely lucky and humbled by my admission to Stanford. I wish you guys good luck.
Congrats!

When did you apply?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ryukyu2006

New

Post by ryukyu2006 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 am

I applied mid-January, two weeks before the deadline.
I wish you guys good luck in the next several days.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:40 am

ryukyu2006 wrote:I applied mid-January, two weeks before the deadline.
Congrats! That's so awesome! Can I ask if you have URM status?

reallynownow

New

Quick Status Question

Post by reallynownow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

Brand new user: Hello all.

Quick question: My status check just this moment changed to " A decision Letter Has Been Sent" in the upper right hand corner, and all the other status information is now gone. Does anyone have an idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you so much

mcweanis

Bronze

Re: Quick Status Question

Post by mcweanis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:52 am

reallynownow wrote:Brand new user: Hello all.

Quick question: My status check just this moment changed to " A decision Letter Has Been Sent" in the upper right hand corner, and all the other status information is now gone. Does anyone have an idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you so much

sorry, it almost certainly means your rejection letter is coming in the mail, although maybe if you're lucky a waitlist, although that hasn't happened yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am

No call first? :shock:

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 am

misterbingley wrote:
International?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 pm

ryukyu2006 wrote:I applied mid-January, two weeks before the deadline.
Congratulations, ryuku2006! =)

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Confused7 wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
International?
Oh, you're probably right. I thought that S was gonna pull a Y and start emailing decisions since it's getting so late...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”