Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtemp320

Bronze

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Knock wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Just got an email from them that my app is still incomplete because they don't have my Dean's Certification. I have transcripts from five different schools but was only a full time student at a couple. I asked those where I was a full time student to send Dean's Certifications to Yale months ago - so not sure which of them hasn't completed it. Of course Yale admissions' phone system goes straight to voicemail and email triggers an automatic response saying to call. Not sure which school to follow up with. Any suggestions?
I had the same thing, turns out my dean's cert got lost in the mail. Finally went complete a few days ago. The only Dean's cert I sent was from my degree granting 4 year institution. I didn't send the multiple community college transcripts where I took a summer school class or two and still went complete.
So they did respond to my message and left me a message saying they didn't have them. We then played phone tag this morning. I resigned myself to getting new forms sent in and started working the buercracies at all of my past schools- but then I got a call back from Yale admissions...They were very apologetic and said my certifications had been misfiled, they have them and my app is now complete!

Thats okay Yale - no worries - I still love you. 8)

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:37 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
Knock wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Just got an email from them that my app is still incomplete because they don't have my Dean's Certification. I have transcripts from five different schools but was only a full time student at a couple. I asked those where I was a full time student to send Dean's Certifications to Yale months ago - so not sure which of them hasn't completed it. Of course Yale admissions' phone system goes straight to voicemail and email triggers an automatic response saying to call. Not sure which school to follow up with. Any suggestions?
I had the same thing, turns out my dean's cert got lost in the mail. Finally went complete a few days ago. The only Dean's cert I sent was from my degree granting 4 year institution. I didn't send the multiple community college transcripts where I took a summer school class or two and still went complete.
So they did respond to my message and left me a message saying they didn't have them. We then played phone tag this morning. I resigned myself to getting new forms sent in and started working the buercracies at all of my past schools- but then I got a call back from Yale admissions...They were very apologetic and said my certifications had been misfiled, they have them and my app is now complete!

Thats okay Yale - no worries - I still love you. 8)
Sweet man. I wonder if that's what happened with mine. Oh well, it's not like i'm getting in anyways so.

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Have any of you guys contacted Yale regarding your file if you have yet to receive a complete e-mail?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:31 pm

I just had my UG fax the Dean's Cert for the second time (and I even mailed a hard copy in October.) No complete for a mid-February submission. Should I be concerned?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:32 pm

neonx wrote:I just had my UG fax the Dean's Cert for the second time (and I even mailed a hard copy in October.) No complete for a mid-February submission. Should I be concerned?
Damn, I couldn't find the fax number for YLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

neonx wrote:I just had my UG fax the Dean's Cert for the second time (and I even mailed a hard copy in October.) No complete for a mid-February submission. Should I be concerned?
I submitted mid-Feb and just got my completion e-mail yesterday fwiw.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:
I submitted mid-Feb and just got my completion e-mail yesterday fwiw.
Hm, sounds like a very wide variation. I got the complete email 1 day after I fedexed my Dean's Cert.

It was my 2nd time fedexing it though ($28 for a likely rejection... :? ), since it got lost the first time.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Just went complete. Took less than two weeks from the date I submitted.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:Just went complete. Took less than two weeks from the date I submitted.
Same here, very pleased, I was gonna start stressing out about it soon, hearing about the five week waits and not being sure when or if to check to see if my dean's certs went through. Now just gotta wait for the bad news.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 pm

eh, you never know. good luck ya'll.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm

So I didn't even apply to Yale, but this is seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen: http://www.good.is/post/yale-law-school ... -students/. Not that you need another reason to love Yale.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm complete as well. Submitted 2/28. :D :D :D

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:59 pm

They seem to be going overtime on the completions.

Wonder if decisions are on a similar time table.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:54 am

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
I looked at LSN and the huge March rejection wave started right after YLS began their spring recess (03/12 last year). There were also a couple acceptances on the Sat. and Mon. of spring recess. A very similar pattern in 2009--a couple acceptances a few days after break starts, but rejection letters start showing up en masse the week of YLS break. So I suspect they try to send out a bunch of rejections before they go on break.

YLS' spring recess starts tomorrow.
I checked the thread from last year and the rejection letters were sent out on the Monday of break.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 pm

I looked at LSN and the huge March rejection wave started right after YLS began their spring recess (03/12 last year). There were also a couple acceptances on the Sat. and Mon. of spring recess. A very similar pattern in 2009--a couple acceptances a few days after break starts, but rejection letters start showing up en masse the week of YLS break. So I suspect they try to send out a bunch of rejections before they go on break.

YLS' spring recess starts tomorrow.
I checked the thread from last year and the rejection letters were sent out on the Monday of break.

Oh good. So I'll expect mine this week.

artemis178

New

Post by artemis178 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't know how representative TLS is compared to LSN (I think both are a very small sample and may or may not overlap substantially depending on the cycle and the school), but according to LSN, rejection letters went out every day of spring break last year. It might be that people don't post the exact date of the rejection (it might be the date of the letter or the day it arrived, or the day they got around to it, etc.) so that might skew our data, but I don't think anyone should assume that if they survive Monday they've somehow survived the round of rejections next week . . . sorry!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm

I didn't mean to suggest they would mirror last cycle (i.e., we should expect letters to go out tomorrow)--the March 1st deadline probably changed things--but was mainly checking last thread to see if there was office activity during break. It looks like they stay open/active, unless Asha couldn't get enough of the office and went back during a vacation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:I didn't mean to suggest they would mirror last cycle (i.e., we should expect letters to go out tomorrow)--the March 1st deadline probably changed things--but was mainly checking last thread to see if there was office activity during break. It looks like they stay open/active, unless Asha couldn't get enough of the office and went back during a vacation.
They must be really swamped/behind...I just called the admissions office, got voicemail, and then was told the voicemailbox was full and I couldn't leave a message!

ringdabell

New

Post by ringdabell » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Hey, did anyone sent in update materials?
I'm not sure if its too late or wouldn't make a difference.....(ie. won't be included into my file they read as my file has been completed awhile ago?)
can someon help me out on this issue?

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:34 pm

I sent in a diversity statement last week. my file had already been completed.

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:56 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I'm complete as well. Submitted 2/28. :D :D :D
Complete today. Submitted....March 1! :D Hopefully we'll hear decisions before May?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Isn't March supposed to be YLS's big month for notifications? We're almost halfway through, and nothing!

jcn4

New

Post by jcn4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm going to be out of the country for a couple weeks. Anyone know if YLS will leave a message or send an email if they can't reach me by phone (if I happen to be admitted)?

doglover24

New

Post by doglover24 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I have a sudden (and probably irrational fear) that my rejection letter came with the first batch and got lost in the mail...starting to feel like i may never hear back.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 pm

dot wrote:Yay for this line in that email
We are actively reviewing applications at the moment and expect to have decisions finalized by late March to early April.
Late March is much better than I expected!
If they are going to hold themselves to this statement (quoted from page 34 I think) then we really have to get slammed with decisions here in the next couple/few weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”