Baylor 2011 "Decision letter mailed."---In at Baylor 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisiQ

New

Re: Baylor 2011 "Decision letter mailed."---In at Baylor 2011

Post by chrisiQ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

this is frustrating, seems like most people are hearing back on things but I've been sitting at complete for quite sometime now!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 pm

I applied to summer and fall and have been waiting at complete since 11/18. I bet they are admitting people with numbers above 75% first for summer program and then waiting for the initial early seat deposit 3/9 to see who accepts their offers.. that's my gamble. But whatever they are doing it's annoying. Both SMU and Baylor are taking foorreevver. :?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm

deliriousxix wrote:Both SMU and Baylor are taking foorreevver. :?
It sure seems like those two schools sure are proud of themselves, based on how long they take to let us know. Odds are I wouldn't attend either if admitted, I just wanna know.

graceful1

New

Post by graceful1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:36 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:Officially turned down my acceptance at Baylor, so hopefully someone from this board gets that spot. Anyone else irritated by how quickly they ask for deposits? I got my letter of acceptance for the summer term on Friday and they asked me to pay my deposit by March 1st. Wtf? The other schools I've been accepted to gave at least a couple of months. Granted, Baylor summer term starts on May 9th which is soon, but at least give me a week to think about it!
What school/s are you favoring?

RaspberryBeret

New

Post by RaspberryBeret » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

graceful1 wrote:
RaspberryBeret wrote:Officially turned down my acceptance at Baylor, so hopefully someone from this board gets that spot. Anyone else irritated by how quickly they ask for deposits? I got my letter of acceptance for the summer term on Friday and they asked me to pay my deposit by March 1st. Wtf? The other schools I've been accepted to gave at least a couple of months. Granted, Baylor summer term starts on May 9th which is soon, but at least give me a week to think about it!
U of Houston is looking better to me. Originally I was against it and just applied for fun, but after researching it more thoroughly, I could see myself there. I have a scholly worth 75% of tuition at University of Miami, so I'm strongly considering them, as well, but I'd prefer to stay in Texas. I was REALLY hoping for SMU, but I applied early and was "held for further review", so I'm not holding my breath. Still, if I get in, I'm paying my deposit the day I get the acceptance letter.

From your profile, it looks like you're attending SMU PT in the fall? I really regret not having applied PT/FT because I think I would've gotten into the PT program.
Last edited by RaspberryBeret on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

graceful1

New

Post by graceful1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:
graceful1 wrote:
U of Houston is looking better to me. Originally I was against it and just applied for fun, but after researching it more thoroughly, I could see myself there. I have a scholly worth 75% of tuition at University of Miami, so I'm strongly considering them, as well, but I'd prefer to stay in Texas. I was REALLY hoping for SMU, but I applied early and was "held for further review", so I'm not holding my breath. Still, if I get in, I'm paying my deposit the day I get the acceptance letter.
I chose SMU over Houston (not accepted at UT). I think UT (obviously), SMU and Houston are the most solid choices in Texas currently.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Not to be an alarmist, because I think things are bad at SMU and UH, too, but less than half of the most recent graduating class from baylor had something full time lined up at graduation. This is according to someone who graduated in that class.

RaspberryBeret

New

Post by RaspberryBeret » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Marionberry wrote:Not to be an alarmist, because I think things are bad at SMU and UH, too, but less than half of the most recent graduating class from baylor had something full time lined up at graduation. This is according to someone who graduated in that class.

No denying that. I think the environments at UH and SMU seem more conducive to my own personal learning style than Baylor. I'm an undergrad at Baylor and have sat in on some Baylor law classes and have talked to plenty of current students, so I did research my decision.

Edit: whoops misread the post I replied to and thought they said that less than half the SMU and UH graduating classes had something full time lined up after graduation. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that though....
Last edited by RaspberryBeret on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Not to be an alarmist, because I think things are bad at SMU and UH, too, but less than half of the most recent graduating class from baylor had something full time lined up at graduation. This is according to someone who graduated in that class.

No denying that. I think the environments at UH and SMU seem more conducive to my own personal learning style than Baylor. I'm an undergrad at Baylor and have sat in on some Baylor law classes and have talked to plenty of current students, so I did research my decision.
Does your "own personal learning style" involve not wanting to be subjected to unnecessary hardship and strain? :D I used to really take up for Baylor on here, and I still think it's a good school depending on what you want to do and how much scholarship money you're getting, but I cannot understand why they make it suck so much for no appreciable increase in job opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaspberryBeret

New

Post by RaspberryBeret » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Too true! I don't think it's a coincidence that every BLS student I've talked to encourages me to go elsewhere....
Marionberry wrote:
RaspberryBeret wrote:

Does your "own personal learning style" involve not wanting to be subjected to unnecessary hardship and strain? :D I used to really take up for Baylor on here, and I still think it's a good school depending on what you want to do and how much scholarship money you're getting, but I cannot understand why they make it suck so much for no appreciable increase in job opportunities.

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Marionberry wrote:Does your "own personal learning style" involve not wanting to be subjected to unnecessary hardship and strain? :D I used to really take up for Baylor on here, and I still think it's a good school depending on what you want to do and how much scholarship money you're getting, but I cannot understand why they make it suck so much for no appreciable increase in job opportunities.
In what ways do they make it suck? All I've heard is that it's a good school, but I don't have super-recent knowledge of the school.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Kinderby wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Does your "own personal learning style" involve not wanting to be subjected to unnecessary hardship and strain? :D I used to really take up for Baylor on here, and I still think it's a good school depending on what you want to do and how much scholarship money you're getting, but I cannot understand why they make it suck so much for no appreciable increase in job opportunities.
In what ways do they make it suck? All I've heard is that it's a good school, but I don't have super-recent knowledge of the school.
A BLS student could better answer this than I, but from what I've heard:

The quarter system is grueling.
Practice Court is essentially a sadistic exercise made to break people down repeatedly, in the assumption that it makes them better lawyers. It's like this today, and my mom (a BLS grad) says it was like this 30 years ago. They pride themselves on it.
They approach your first weeks of school as a 1L with kind of a "shock and awe" technique, basically to shame and embarass you in class if you're not prepared.
It's insanely competitive, partly as a result of the school's atmosphere, but made worse by the current dismal job prospects.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Kinderby wrote:
A BLS student could better answer this than I, but from what I've heard:

The quarter system is grueling.
Practice Court is essentially a sadistic exercise made to break people down repeatedly, in the assumption that it makes them better lawyers. It's like this today, and my mom (a BLS grad) says it was like this 30 years ago. They pride themselves on it.
They approach your first weeks of school as a 1L with kind of a "shock and awe" technique, basically to shame and embarass you in class if you're not prepared.
It's insanely competitive, partly as a result of the school's atmosphere, but made worse by the current dismal job prospects.
Everything I've heard about the quarter system (from UChi and UW students) is wonderful. Sure, you have finals 3 times a year rather than two, but that is more than made up for by the fact you have less material to study for the exam. From what it seems, if you can figure out how to take a law school exam, you'll love the quarter system, but if you can't, or you crumble under the pressure, you'll hate the quarter system. However, if you can't figure out how to take a law school exam and/or you crumble under the pressure, you probably shouldn't be in law school, anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Maybe so. I haven't heard anything good about the quarter system at Baylor, only that it's exhausting. It may be a matter of personal preference.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Marionberry wrote:Maybe so. I haven't heard anything good about the quarter system at Baylor, only that it's exhausting. It may be a matter of personal preference.
As the kid of two Baylor grads, as well as the SO of a current law student, I'd like to second every part of Marionberry's shit list above, as well as this. How Baylor structures their school year is particularly exhausting. Two weeks for Christmas, with finals looming a couple weeks into January; same with Spring Break. Job prospects are good in the aggregate (most Baylor grads become lawyers), but if you're looking for corporate law (mid law, biglaw, whatever version), placement is not great.

Other gripes my SO has: Practice Court literally looms as this terrifying mountain of work your 3L year, when most law students are coasting and focusing on finding a job. Hyper-competitiveness is fostered by the administration and faculty. No laptops allowed for required courses. Almost all of your courses are required, leaving little room for those few electives that are offered.

That said, if you want to practice in Texas, and have significant scholarships, and aren't really looking for corporate law, and don't mind the type-a competition, it can be good place to study law. Beer is cheap, and their new building is fantastic. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. No one is going to enjoy every aspect of law school...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

patrickd139 wrote:That said, if you want to practice in Texas, and have significant scholarships, and aren't really looking for corporate law, and don't mind the type-a competition, it can be good place to study law. Beer is cheap, and their new building is fantastic. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. No one is going to enjoy every aspect of law school...
On a more positive note: this. The facilities are really really nice.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Decision letter mailed today...FINALLY. I was waiting since late October. I'm guessing I'll get it next week sometime.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 pm

I was about to apply to Baylor a few months ago , but the facial reaction the Admissions Officer gave me when I asked at the LSAC Forum if there was any LGBT students at the Law School turned me off completely. I know the school's Baptist and everything, but I've never felt so unaccepted.

So, I'm curious: are there any LGBT students at Baylor?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

neonx wrote:I was about to apply to Baylor a few months ago , but the facial reaction the Admissions Officer gave me when I asked at the LSAC Forum if there was any LGBT students at the Law School turned me off completely. I know the school's Baptist and everything, but I've never felt so unaccepted.

I'm sure there are, though Waco is probably not the most LGBT friendly city in the world. I would imagine that out of the T100 schools, Baylor is probably one of the least welcoming to LGBT students. Not necessarily because of the school's Baptist foundations (I think the law school is pretty well separate from the religiosity of the UG), but just because of the environment in Waco in general.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:00 pm

neonx wrote:I was about to apply to Baylor a few months ago , but the facial reaction the Admissions Officer gave me when I asked at the LSAC Forum if there was any LGBT students at the Law School turned me off completely. I know the school's Baptist and everything, but I've never felt so unaccepted.

First, it is Texas. Next, Baylor is in Waco. (think 1993 Waco, lol)
Third, I feel for you. I visited a year or so ago and (not that you can really "tell") noticed mostly conservative people. I mean come on, they have Ken Starr, right?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Decision letter mailed today...FINALLY. I was waiting since late October. I'm guessing I'll get it next week sometime.
Sweet! Congrats on finally getting a decision sent! I think Baylor may be having a UW moment... I show decision sent 02/28 in the status checker, but nothing in the Mailings section. I called Suzy and she said she is the one that mails the letters, and the 02/28 letters haven't made it to her yet. Though, she did seem to be happy to give a decision over the phone if she had them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:10 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Decision letter mailed today...FINALLY. I was waiting since late October. I'm guessing I'll get it next week sometime.
Sweet! Congrats on finally getting a decision sent! I think Baylor may be having a UW moment... I show decision sent 02/28 in the status checker, but nothing in the Mailings section. I called Suzy and she said she is the one that mails the letters, and the 02/28 letters haven't made it to her yet. Though, she did seem to be happy to give a decision over the phone if she had them.
Yeah I don't have anything under mailings either, so that means it hasn't been mailed yet just that a decision has been made?

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Post by CrimLaw300 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Yeah I don't have anything under mailings either, so that means it hasn't been mailed yet just that a decision has been made?
That would seem to be the case...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
That would seem to be the case...
lame. Thanks for the info though.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:lame. Thanks for the info though.
You should call them and tell them that you've been waiting for a decision for 6 months now, and demand they tell you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”