Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aknecht

Bronze

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 am

Johnny5959 wrote: aknecht, I must be confused. Why would you go to Loyola? 5k a year totals 15k. so even if you get straight C's at Kent, you'll be getting 25 K the first year alone. I must be missing something, because the opportunity to have tuition reduced by 75k seems like a very nice option. But I look forward to hearing about what I don't understand. Good luck with your choice!
honestly, you laying it out like that for me is really helpful. I really like Loyola and that's the main hang up. Do I like it enough to justify a possible extra $60k+ in debt? I'm realizing no the more I think about it. I mean I have some other hang ups with Kent like the lack of name recognition but I don't think I can ignore this offer. Even if the worst happened and I only got the Kent scholarship for the first year, I would still be paying less over 3 years than at Loyola.

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 am

aknecht wrote:
Johnny5959 wrote: aknecht, I must be confused. Why would you go to Loyola? 5k a year totals 15k. so even if you get straight C's at Kent, you'll be getting 25 K the first year alone. I must be missing something, because the opportunity to have tuition reduced by 75k seems like a very nice option. But I look forward to hearing about what I don't understand. Good luck with your choice!
honestly, you laying it out like that for me is really helpful. I really like Loyola and that's the main hang up. Do I like it enough to justify a possible extra $60k+ in debt? I'm realizing no the more I think about it. I mean I have some other hang ups with Kent like the lack of name recognition but I don't think I can ignore this offer. Even if the worst happened and I only got the Kent scholarship for the first year, I would still be paying less over 3 years than at Loyola.
+1

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am

aknecht wrote:
from the moderate research i've done, it seems that loyola and kent are neck to neck in terms of prestige/employment in the area. Some say that Loyola is a tad better (which I presume is because of the house name) and then some say that they have to give the edge to Kent because it's really reputable in the area...so if you're staying in the area, I would honestly think you should make this decision based on the more debt averse choice.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm

christinem20 wrote:still in deferred status since 4/1...nervous that I'm going to get a rejection. Does anyone know the amount of deferred applicants that they usually take?
Still deferred since 12/10....hoping it is because I applied PT and they are focusing on the full time division first? :?

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 pm

My research is showing the same thing. Loyola and Kent are very comparable. Class ranking is probably more important than school ranking. Personally, I am attracted to Kent because of the writing program, good ranking, and location. So, looking at those three things I think it has an edge over Loyola. But, unless Kent gets extremely generous, I don't think I can turn down the offer I got from Denver.

AKNecht: It's obviously a difficult and personal choice, but in terms of cost and opportunity I feel like it's Kent hands down. If It were DePaul w $ vs. Loyola I'd understand, but that's because I wouldn't want to spend 3 years in that building, but Kent is pretty nice (especially the top floor study area). Again though, good luck (if you need more time I was able to get my deposit deadline moved back to May 9th... Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Johnny5959 wrote:My research is showing the same thing. Loyola and Kent are very comparable. Class ranking is probably more important than school ranking. Personally, I am attracted to Kent because of the writing program, good ranking, and location. So, looking at those three things I think it has an edge over Loyola. But, unless Kent gets extremely generous, I don't think I can turn down the offer I got from Denver.

AKNecht: It's obviously a difficult and personal choice, but in terms of cost and opportunity I feel like it's Kent hands down. If It were DePaul w $ vs. Loyola I'd understand, but that's because I wouldn't want to spend 3 years in that building, but Kent is pretty nice (especially the top floor study area). Again though, good luck (if you need more time I was able to get my deposit deadline moved back to May 9th... Hope this helps!

I agree with nearly everything Johnny5959 has written, especially the point that class ranking is probably more important than school ranking. Personally, I'm locked on Kent because I think it's a "better" school (with a mix of qualitative and quantitative factors left undefined). Loyola, however, is very nice and modern, much like Kent. I took the LSAT at LUC and was very impressed with the facilities.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm

just offered a 10k grant for first year, in addition to 20 K with a 3.25 / 50% renewed by 3.0 .

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm

I've found that those people who prefer Loyola over Kent when $'s the same seem to prefer Loyola because they had a "better tour" experience. They can't really put their finger on it though. I do know that Loyola does NOT offer anything similar to Kent's Access 2 Practice program, which is pretty awesome.

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 pm

chicarda wrote:I've found that those people who prefer Loyola over Kent when $'s the same seem to prefer Loyola because they had a "better tour" experience. They can't really put their finger on it though. I do know that Loyola does NOT offer anything similar to Kent's Access 2 Practice program, which is pretty awesome.

Speaking to that, I will say my Kent tour was very substandard. The student leading it was not very knowledgeable about the different programs or student organizations and she seemed tired and lazy. However, I'm not going to base my choice to attend a law school on the person leading the tour, but I can see how this might affect one's perception of the quality of student that Kent admits, which is a reflection on the quality of the school itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Johnny5959 wrote:just offered a 10k grant for first year, in addition to 20 K with a 3.25 / 50% renewed by 3.0 .
same for me on the grant. which is why I'm probably going to go with Kent over Loyola at this point. I feel like I'm being bought but I really don't care!

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

chicarda wrote:I've found that those people who prefer Loyola over Kent when $'s the same seem to prefer Loyola because they had a "better tour" experience. They can't really put their finger on it though. I do know that Loyola does NOT offer anything similar to Kent's Access 2 Practice program, which is pretty awesome.
I live in Chicago, so I visited both of these schools about three times each over the last year and a half. I had one good tour guide at Kent and two TERRIBLE ones. I've been a tour guide before and rule number one is to fill in most of the silence, and the Kent tour guides (2 at least) could not come up with enough to say. They also didn't know a lot of answers to the questions we had and just said "uhh ask admissions." I had the same tour guide twice at Loyola and she was great, and another good one there too. They really knew about the school, unlike Kent's 2 1Ls. Also, I have had a much better experience with Loyola's admissions office. They respond to emails immediately, unlike Kent who frequently takes over a week. Dean Krent has been VERY attentive unlike admissions, however, and whenever I get a personal email from an admissions officer, they are prompt as well. They must just not monitor the admissions email very well.

I realize that none of this speaks at all to the quality of the schools, but it does give someone a better feeling and a more welcome feeling when treated as Loyola does vs. Kent. If neither school offers a specialized program you're interested in and if neither school offers more money, a general "feeling" is all anyone has to go off of.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

aknecht wrote:
Johnny5959 wrote:just offered a 10k grant for first year, in addition to 20 K with a 3.25 / 50% renewed by 3.0 .
same for me on the grant. which is why I'm probably going to go with Kent over Loyola at this point. I feel like I'm being bought but I really don't care!

Sounds like the right choice. If you have an extra 40 grand to blow in three years, buy a car.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Johnny5959 wrote:
aknecht wrote:

Sounds like the right choice. If you have an extra 40 grand to blow in three years, buy a car.

A nice car.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Johnny5959 wrote:
aknecht wrote:

you are talking to a car junkie.... please do not tempt me!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 pm

aknecht wrote:
Johnny5959 wrote:
aknecht wrote:

you are talking to a car junkie.... please do not tempt me!
I'm pissed. I just sold my 07 Infiniti G35 with a 150 shot of nitrous for rent money for the year. Gah $3,500 to keep it in a parking spot? Seriously Presidential Towers???

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 pm

chicarda wrote: I'm pissed. I just sold my 07 Infiniti G35 with a 150 shot of nitrous for rent money for the year. Gah $3,500 to keep it in a parking spot? Seriously Presidential Towers???
probably for the best. G35s are not exactly my favorite car. I owned one and sold it after 9 months, the interior was terrible and the chassis was made of overcooked pasta. I moved to a twin turboed S4 and couldn't be happier.

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 pm

aknecht wrote:
chicarda wrote: I'm pissed. I just sold my 07 Infiniti G35 with a 150 shot of nitrous for rent money for the year. Gah $3,500 to keep it in a parking spot? Seriously Presidential Towers???
probably for the best. G35s are not exactly my favorite car. I owned one and sold it after 9 months, the interior was terrible and the chassis was made of overcooked pasta. I moved to a twin turboed S4 and couldn't be happier.
B5 S4? My friend had one with K04s and the APR tune and blew the turbos and motor in one pull.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:18 pm

chicarda wrote:
aknecht wrote:
B5 S4? My friend had one with K04s and the APR tune and blew the turbos and motor in one pull.
yup. with K04s and an APR tune. its tough to blow turbos and/or the motor on that tune. he must have thrashed it religiously!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 pm

aknecht wrote:
chicarda wrote:
aknecht wrote:
yup. with K04s and an APR tune. its tough to blow turbos and/or the motor on that tune. he must have thrashed it religiously!

lol everyday.

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Not to get off tangent here...for those of you who are trying to figure out if ur goin to grace Kent with your presence.
But is there anyone out there (like me) in final review/review with Kent??
When are they going to start rejecting applicants/accepting again?

phannahan44

New

Post by phannahan44 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 am

singingkris wrote:Not to get off tangent here...for those of you who are trying to figure out if ur goin to grace Kent with your presence.
But is there anyone out there (like me) in final review/review with Kent??
When are they going to start rejecting applicants/accepting again?
+1 -- been "Application Complete - In Review" since 3/7. Definitely nervous...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CortninO

New

Post by CortninO » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Wow guys, I definitely recommend e-mailing Dean Krent if you have any concerns financially. I had been offered the $20,000 contingent on GPA, and I e-mailed him (after seeing that several others on here did) asking him if the stipulations could be removed. A few responses and 6 hours later, he gave me an additional $12,000 grant for the first year, though the contingencies stand.

I can't believe how quick it was to hear back from him. It really blew my mind and it pushed Kent into being where I attend. Also, I was admitted off the waitlist, so I was nervous about receiving ANY scholarship, let alone actually being able to negotiate more.

So seriously, take the time to send out an e-mail... it can't hurt, and in my case it REALLY helped.

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm

CortninO wrote:Wow guys, I definitely recommend e-mailing Dean Krent if you have any concerns financially. I had been offered the $20,000 contingent on GPA, and I e-mailed him (after seeing that several others on here did) asking him if the stipulations could be removed. A few responses and 6 hours later, he gave me an additional $12,000 grant for the first year, though the contingencies stand.

I can't believe how quick it was to hear back from him. It really blew my mind and it pushed Kent into being where I attend. Also, I was admitted off the waitlist, so I was nervous about receiving ANY scholarship, let alone actually being able to negotiate more.

So seriously, take the time to send out an e-mail... it can't hurt, and in my case it REALLY helped.

Had you already put down a seat deposit???

CortninO

New

Post by CortninO » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 pm

gator6589 wrote:Had you already put down a seat deposit???
No, I haven't put down a deposit at Kent yet, though I am planning on it now. I believe it's due next week. I actually have one in at another school though that I mentioned in my e-mail, so maybe that further motivated him to up my scholarship? I'll be withdrawing from the other school now.

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Withdrew. Hope someone gets my 20K per year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”