UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DubPoker

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by DubPoker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm

trayball23 wrote:anyone else just ready for review? been complete since jan 12
Your not the only one haha...

But question for the new admits, did anyone go straight from "ready to review" to "decision rendered"???

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

DubPoker wrote:
Your not the only one haha...

But question for the new admits, did anyone go straight from "ready to review" to "decision rendered"???
+1

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Yes. I now expect a WL letter/email by April 1.

Something just doesn't feel right about this year's cycle with UNC. If you look at the previous years on LSN, then you see that they've usually admitted a lot more people by now. What is different? Maybe just a smaller percent of total applicants are posting on LSN. It could be that simple. But that explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?

Like I said, I expect a WL letter/email/status update by April 1. My ego will be bruised, but that's the nature of this beast. While UNC is where I want to go to law school, WFU and W&M have offered me money. At some point in this process, it will become time to focus on and to get excited about attending one of those schools.

Congrats to those of you who got in today. It's such a great accomplishment.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:
Yes. I now expect a WL letter/email by April 1.

Something just doesn't feel right about this year's cycle with UNC. If you look at the previous years on LSN, then you see that they've usually admitted a lot more people by now. What is different? Maybe just a smaller percent of total applicants are posting on LSN. It could be that simple. But that explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?

Like I said, I expect a WL letter/email/status update by April 1. My ego will be bruised, but that's the nature of this beast. While UNC is where I want to go to law school, WFU and W&M have offered me money. At some point in this process, it will become time to focus on and to get excited about attending one of those schools.

Congrats to those of you who got in today. It's such a great accomplishment.
William & Mary is an awesome school, I don't think it is a step down from UNC at all. So relax, while you are waiting (which I know is hard to do), because you already have good options.

And congrats to the new admits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
Who can beat my Ready for Review - 11/12/10?

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Jeffro wrote:Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
ew, you got me by almost a month (12/4/10)

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

haoledugan wrote:
Jeffro wrote:Congrats to everyone admitted today! I must admit it is bittersweet for me as I'm still ready for review but...

New applicant game time!
ew, you got me by almost a month (12/4/10)
11/9

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

^ I'm a close second so far...first one to beat theavrock wins absolutely nothing, come on.

TammyC.Hsu

New

Post by TammyC.Hsu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:Residents, where will you go, if not UNC?
For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.

FYI, UNC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WF.

HTH with your decision. :D

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 pm

DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:

http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:

Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote:

Technically they are considered peer schools, but if you have both options available to you, you should definitely take UNC.
I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
TammyC.Hsu wrote: For me, it's a toss up b/t UNC and WFU. Both are great schools, but I fell in love with WFU while UNC's dean managed to turn me off to the school on my visit. But the difference in tuition as a resident is hard to overlook.

I was more kidding and being a smart ass, but they are peer schools and it really comes down to personal choice. The major drawback is WF is way more money, and I personally did not like the atmosphere when I visited (granted, it was a tour when I was choosing a school for undergrad). Plus, I think W-S is a little boring, esp compared to the triangle area. But obviously, these are personal opinions.
I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I actually was referring directly to Tammy's post I just quoted yours too, so that was my fault. Anyway, as an outsider looking in (being from NY) Wake's name really doesn't hold as much weight as UNC. I didn't even apply there. Either way, if you are from NC and plan on staying in NC, they are both excellent options. Go to whichever is cheaper.

DeeCee: Now that I think of it, I'm actually surprised you didn't apply to Wake, being from NC and all.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I actually was referring directly to Tammy's post I just quoted yours too, so that was my fault. Anyway, as an outsider looking in (being from NY) Wake's name really doesn't hold as much weight as UNC. I didn't even apply there. Either way, if you are from NC and plan on staying in NC, they are both excellent options. Go to whichever is cheaper.
Agreed about this. I hope to get up near DC, or even NY one day. I've been in the south for most of my life, so I'd love to live someplace northward at some point. My BF and his family are from NY, and they believe the UNC name is well-known in NY. They also say the same thing as you say, Supra, about WF versus UNC; I think WF is more recognized in the south.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

denniscrane

New

Post by denniscrane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 am

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Agreed about this. I hope to get up near DC, or even NY one day. I've been in the south for most of my life, so I'd love to live someplace northward at some point. My BF and his family are from NY, and they believe the UNC name is well-known in NY. They also say the same thing as you say, Supra, about WF versus UNC; I think WF is more recognized in the south.
Wake is not more recognized in the south. Definitely UNC, but of course everyone knows Wake is good too. People who don't know about law schools at all hear UNC and their ears perk up because of the general reputation.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 am

denniscrane wrote: Wake is not more recognized in the south. Definitely UNC, but of course everyone knows Wake is good too. People who don't know about law schools at all hear UNC and their ears perk up because of the general reputation.
shit...OK sorry I didn't mean more than UNC. I added more in there to mean south versus north, as in WF is more recognized in the south than the north.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 am

beccabea wrote:I keep glancing at other schools' threads and seeing "I'm sick of waiting on UNC; I'm sending in my deposit to ______," and it's really bumming me out. :(
Their loss and more scholly money for us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 am

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
I'd be interested to read some elaboration on this.

Any reason to think that was it for the week? UNC is my first choice. I had a really brutal night before the LSAT. If I don't get into UNC, I'm sitting out a year. I don't want to do that.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
beccabea wrote:I keep glancing at other schools' threads and seeing "I'm sick of waiting on UNC; I'm sending in my deposit to ______," and it's really bumming me out. :(
Their loss and more scholly money for us.
Yeah you definitely want as many people to withdraw as possible. Frees up alot of $$$.
Last edited by SupraVln180 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

paratrooper06

New

Post by paratrooper06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 am

Been ready for review since december...FML

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”