In at South Carolina 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SAOJD10

Bronze

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:18 am

Hey I am a 1L at S.C. Ill answer any Q's about the school, Columbia, anything

WhydidntItry

New

Post by WhydidntItry » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 am

do you know anyone taking the dual degree program with the jd and masters in criminology?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:05 am

No I do not, I have met some 2L's doing the dual JD/MBA program, and a couple of my friends are trying to get into the program now. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 am

I've been to Columbia before but have never lived there. How is it? What are some good neighborhoods to live in, and what is the hood?

I'm looking at apartments in Columbia, and don't want to live in a condo or planned community, any ideas?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:Hey I am a 1L at S.C. Ill answer any Q's about the school, Columbia, anything
Thank you, SAOJD10. Can you please comment on the general atmosphere there, including the intensity of competition among 1Ls, student-professor relationships, etc. Also, what's your typical weekly schedule like? Do you have classes from Monday through Friday? Additionally, your thoughts on eandy's post above, please.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I've heard that the facilities at USC are pretty beat up, is that true?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I've heard that the facilities at USC are pretty beat up, is that true?
Yes to that, unfortunately.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:14 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I've heard that the facilities at USC are pretty beat up, is that true?

So what aspects of your visit overrode that? I would think it would be a pretty big turnoff, but I know you "can't judge a book by it's cover."

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

So what aspects of your visit overrode that?
I found Columbia kind of cute (albeit rather boring). Plus, this is the only ABA-accredited law school in South Carolina, where things are generally affordable.
Aqualibrium wrote:I would think it would be a pretty big turnoff, but I know you "can't judge a book by it's cover."
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:23 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:I've been to Columbia before but have never lived there. How is it? What are some good neighborhoods to live in, and what is the hood?

I'm looking at apartments in Columbia, and don't want to live in a condo or planned community, any ideas?
Neighborhoods that alot of law students live in are (1) shandon (2) forest acres (3) rosewood (4) north columbia (Irmo area). Theres a bunch of house all over Columbia. My only problem was that I was from out of state and found it increasingly difficult to find housing not really knowing the area. I opted to live in an apartment close to campus (and alot of law students live in condo's/apartments: apsyre, willshire house, vista commons, gates at williams-bryce). Next year I will be living over in Shandon. A little piece of advice, do not live at the "lofts at USC" or any place in 5 points

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 am

LSAT Taker wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:Hey I am a 1L at S.C. Ill answer any Q's about the school, Columbia, anything
Thank you, SAOJD10. Can you please comment on the general atmosphere there, including the intensity of competition among 1Ls, student-professor relationships, etc. Also, what's your typical weekly schedule like? Do you have classes from Monday through Friday? Additionally, your thoughts on eandy's post above, please.

Okay heres my attempt to answer your questions:

(1) General Atmosphere: honestly, 100x's friendlier and more social than I was ever expecting in law school. While we do have gunners, like every school, the student body is incredibly friendly. I have made some really goods friends, and while sometimes it does feel like the "clicky" high school atmosphere, all the students get along

(2) Intensity of competition: Since everyone is friendly (atleast from what I have heard about my section, and one other) the intense competitive atmosphere is "don't ask, dont' tell". Everyone knows its there, and everyone knows we are competing against each other but, again since everyone is so friendly, its not too noticeable. Those kids who are super competitive, and want to gun-out, do not talk to anyone so I do not know them

(3) Weekly schedule: I have 3 classes a day Mon-Thurs, and two classes Friday until 12:30. PM me and I will send you my schedule, I don't feel like typing it out, but its not too bad (hour breaks in-between) and the latest I get out of class is 3:00 pm.

(4) Building: yeah its pretty worn down, but for me I do not think its "negatively" affecting the quality of my education. I think the whole building situation is coming to a crossroad where the school is going to make a decision about what to do with it (either build, move it, or fix it).

(5) Relationship among professors: very nice and open to help, as long as you do your part. They are always at office hours and after class to take questions and I generally like all my professors. Theres professors that have been here forever, and are famous in the S.C. legal community. There are kids who are 4th generations in their family taking some professors.

(6) Eandy's comments: Some people like Columbia, and some people hate it. I came from Fl, so up here is a nice change of pace. Out of everyone (my friends) that have come to U.S.C., everyone made the decision because: (1) most financial sense; (2) would be happy staying in the state after graduation; (3) even though the school dropped in the rankings, the school is really trying to fix its deficiencies.

(7) Scholarships: I only know one person (from out-of-state), who does not have the out-of-state scholarship. To comment on stingy in-state scholarships, I do not know (a couple people have in-state plus 5k).

Sorry for the long post, this weekend has been pretty long so if I do not make sense PM me or ask more questions.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Thank you, SAOJD10, for every kind and insightful answer. Assuming that I am not a natural-born law student, do you think it's a real bad idea for me to spend 90 minutes each way in commuting? Should I decide to commute, how much would I be missing/sacrificing? Doing well on exams is of course the top priority, but I would also like to be active in class and social activities. Thanks again!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks for the answers :) What is the "out of state scholarship"? I'm also from Fl.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Barbie wrote:Thanks for the answers :) What is the "out of state scholarship"? I'm also from Fl.
I'll answer some more Q's

Lsattaker: I know of three people commuting from greenville,sumter, and charleston. Personally, if you want to be involved in all the "social" activities I would live in Columbia. But, it can be done if you become good friends with some people who don't mind you living on their couch during football season

Barbie: Out of state scholarship brings down the outrageous out of state tuition to 21k per year guranteed. If you are out of state and score anything in the range of 159ish you will most likely receive the scholarship. A little higher and it goes to an additional 5k, and if you are lucky enough to fall into some of the named scholarships (which isnt me) you can receive a little more $$$.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 pm

SAOJD10 wrote: Lsattaker: I know of three people commuting from greenville,.
If you do that, budget in some Newberry speeding tickets :P I don't think a 90 minute commute would be a good idea as a 1L. I walk ten to fifteen minutes to school each day, and I feel like I don't have time to eat or do anything. People who go to schools in big metropolitan areas with decent mass transit could commute successfully (because then they could do work on the way) but in South Carolina, you are going to be driving 90 minutes each way. That's three hours a day you could(and should) be doing something else. If it were a riding the train into a city thing, it would be different, but it isn't.
LSAT Taker wrote: Any law schools/areas you'd recommend?
I really just like places with a college town feel. It's a personal preference. I like the Vista area in Columbia, but most of Columbia just doesn't mesh well with my personality. FWIW, I think Athens (I go to UGA now) is sort of sketchy, too, so obviously me thinking a place is sketchy isn't a factor I think should stop someone from going to school there. I am really saying more than anything to visit Columbia before committing to USC, because a lot of people do not like it.
I'm a very particular person, which is why I didn't really apply to a lot of schools, so I can't really recommend much.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:45 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:I've been to Columbia before but have never lived there. How is it? What are some good neighborhoods to live in, and what is the hood?

Neighborhoods that alot of law students live in are (1) shandon (2) forest acres (3) rosewood (4) north columbia (Irmo area). Theres a bunch of house all over Columbia. My only problem was that I was from out of state and found it increasingly difficult to find housing not really knowing the area. I opted to live in an apartment close to campus (and alot of law students live in condo's/apartments: apsyre, willshire house, vista commons, gates at williams-bryce). Next year I will be living over in Shandon. A little piece of advice, do not live at the "lofts at USC" or any place in 5 points

Awesome. I appreciate the advice.

Another question...

What is the job market like? If you want to work in SC is the legal market relatively insulated from the downturn? Are a lot of people getting jobs / internships or is it nasty out there?

applicant135

New

Post by applicant135 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:21 pm

for those who have been accepted. Did your status checkers change before you recieved your snail mail acceptences?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

j88

New

Post by j88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 pm

applicant135 wrote:for those who have been accepted. Did your status checkers change before you recieved your snail mail acceptences?
Yeah it said something like Decision Mailed or something along those lines and I got the letter about a week later.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:19 am

eandy wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote: Lsattaker: I know of three people commuting from greenville,.
If you do that, budget in some Newberry speeding tickets :P I don't think a 90 minute commute would be a good idea as a 1L. I walk ten to fifteen minutes to school each day, and I feel like I don't have time to eat or do anything. People who go to schools in big metropolitan areas with decent mass transit could commute successfully (because then they could do work on the way) but in South Carolina, you are going to be driving 90 minutes each way. That's three hours a day you could(and should) be doing something else. If it were a riding the train into a city thing, it would be different, but it isn't.
LSAT Taker wrote: Any law schools/areas you'd recommend?
I really just like places with a college town feel. It's a personal preference. I like the Vista area in Columbia, but most of Columbia just doesn't mesh well with my personality. FWIW, I think Athens (I go to UGA now) is sort of sketchy, too, so obviously me thinking a place is sketchy isn't a factor I think should stop someone from going to school there. I am really saying more than anything to visit Columbia before committing to USC, because a lot of people do not like it.
I'm a very particular person, which is why I didn't really apply to a lot of schools, so I can't really recommend much.
Thanks for your thoughts, eandy. Yeah, 3 hours a day on the road seems like a lot of waste. I have a family and other obligations here though, so my situation is rather complicated. If I end up commuting, I will bear in mind your advice -- no speeding around Newberry!

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:39 am

j88 wrote:
applicant135 wrote:for those who have been accepted. Did your status checkers change before you recieved your snail mail acceptences?
Yeah it said something like Decision Mailed or something along those lines and I got the letter about a week later.
TITCR. A letter inside a small envelope within a week after "Decision letter mailed" on your status checker.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:37 am

Hey y'all, my report from LSAC hasn't been sent yet. It says the report was requested though. How long did it take LSAT to send y'all's reports after you sent in all your stuff? It's weird because my report for Georgia went through fine...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Hey y'all, my report from LSAC hasn't been sent yet. It says the report was requested though. How long did it take LSAT to send y'all's reports after you sent in all your stuff? It's weird because my report for Georgia went through fine...
Shouldn't take any more than 2-3 days under normal circumstances.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Hey y'all, my report from LSAC hasn't been sent yet. It says the report was requested though. How long did it take LSAT to send y'all's reports after you sent in all your stuff? It's weird because my report for Georgia went through fine...
Shouldn't take any more than 2-3 days under normal circumstances.
Sent it about...two minutes after I posted this. Thanks!

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Assuming that you guys won't mind discussing this here, what are your thoughts on the "insular" nature of the legal market in SC? Should anyone not from SC originally be worried or look elsewhere?

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:49 pm

My status checker changed today to show a decisions is in the mail... now just have to wait for snail mail to find out if thats a good thing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”