University of Alabama Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gogamecocks

New

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 am

ugh. still pending

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 am

Withdrew. Good luck to those waiting :)

cjs20

New

Post by cjs20 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am

In January, I was accepted after being "decision made" for over a week. In by phone call.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 am

so let me get this straight.

I'm a bit confused about how this process works with Bama. They DO actually change the status checker to in review or pending or something before making a decision? And then what, acceptance by e-mail, rejection by e-mail? Do they send you anything to your mybama e-mail, or is all your LSAC correspondence email? I think it still goes to your LSAC e-mail, but want to make sure.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I applied in November, well above one 75th and well below the other 25th. Crickets.
A splitter? Good luck getting a decision before May of 2013.

That being said, of the two southern schools everyone still seems to be waiting for, Tulane at least will talk to you on the phone. Bama has offered nothing in the way of any information at all.
I know you posted this ages ago, and I took it for granted at the time. I just checked LSN though, and it seems like they've accepted plenty of splitters with my same GPA and lower LSAT scores. So, what gives Bama?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I applied in November, well above one 75th and well below the other 25th. Crickets.
A splitter? Good luck getting a decision before May of 2013.

That being said, of the two southern schools everyone still seems to be waiting for, Tulane at least will talk to you on the phone. Bama has offered nothing in the way of any information at all.
I know you posted this ages ago, and I took it for granted at the time. I just checked LSN though, and it seems like they've accepted plenty of splitters with my same GPA and lower LSAT scores. So, what gives Bama?
That's what many of us are wondering.

Regardless of merit/numbers, there has been nothing out of Bama for the entirety of this month. Other than the few people who said they had status checker changes this week, that's the last anyone has heard. I don't know if we expect to see some kind of WUSTL bloodbath this next week, but I am perplexed as to what is going on here. According to LSN (which isn't much to go by) there really haven't been that many acceptances, and the people who have been accepted have either been decent-numbered URMs or people considerably over median. The real thing is, just look at when most of LSN's decisions were updated, what has Bama been DOING this whole time?

When I called, they said my application "was still in review" but according to the status checker it is still just "COMPLETE" and not in review, so my guess is that it is a default response. I feel the same way, my numbers, while not outstanding, should be good enough to get in, but as things stand right now, I don't think ANY sort of numbers is moving them closer to a decision.

onmytoes812

New

Post by onmytoes812 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:35 pm

scholarship recipient deposits/letters of intent are due tomorrow. maybe they're waiting to see how the class looks before they start accepting "splitters" or borderline numbers...there's a 2 week window between tomorrow's deposit & regular, non-scholarship students' initial deposit.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:35 pm

Is complete before or after pending? I just checked mine for the first time since December and it's at "pending." I can't remember if it was always there or if that's some sort of change.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 pm

If anyone has gone to decision made you can call them and get your decision over the phone. I was rejected. Doesn't feel any better hearing it in a sweet Southern accent.

Good luck all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Kabuo, i think you are being yp'd, at least, if you applied late in the cycle which i'm assuming you did. That LSAT should get you in, My LSAT and GPA are lower and i got a fat scholly but i applied in november.

Spookyghost, you are below both medians. They do look past numbers but unless you have something awesome about yourself, being below both medians is a hard sell.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:40 pm

YP might be it, but it would be only my 2nd acceptance and I'd at least consider a lot of $$$ there, so it seems unnecessary to me. LSAT is also a retake, but I didn't apply late. App was received on 11/22.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:scholarship recipient deposits/letters of intent are due tomorrow. maybe they're waiting to see how the class looks before they start accepting "splitters" or borderline numbers...there's a 2 week window between tomorrow's deposit & regular, non-scholarship students' initial deposit.

i'm a splitter and I've been in for months now, but yeah, there will probably be a few people offered to the waitlist and a few offered admission in the next few days.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

Kabuo wrote:YP might be it, but it would be only my 2nd acceptance and I'd at least consider a lot of $$$ there, so it seems unnecessary to me. LSAT is also a retake, but I didn't apply late. App was received on 11/22.

would you really take Bama over WUSTL. I love bama but that would've been hard with that scholly. I think you may have overestimated the power of your LSAT when you applied, T14 plus bama and WUSTL, you probably should have applied more places in the T25, especially since the LSAT was a second try. The WUSTL scholly and acceptance are still a great deal and even if you do get rejected at Bama, That is still and awesome offer and a bargain, if you could stand to live in STL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

I wouldn't spend more money at Bama than WUSTL, but I was hoping they'd also offer more. I grew up in the South but have been in the Midwest for the last 9 years and wouldn't have minded a good reason to go back. And I think you're right about overestimating the LSAT. I had to apply in a hurry to get my apps out before the ED deadline at UofM, so I sort of rushed the PS out in 10 days or so when I thought it would be average to above average and at least not hold back my LSAT. LORs were probably pretty good though, but my resume sucks. Anyway, I do like WUSTL, and I know a really cool girl who's an undergrad there, but it'd be really nice to have SOME options.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Kabuo wrote:I wouldn't spend more money at Bama than WUSTL, but I was hoping they'd also offer more. I grew up in the South but have been in the Midwest for the last 9 years and wouldn't have minded a good reason to go back. And I think you're right about overestimating the LSAT. I had to apply in a hurry to get my apps out before the ED deadline at UofM, so I sort of rushed the PS out in 10 days or so when I thought it would be average to above average and at least not hold back my LSAT. LORs were probably pretty good though, but my resume sucks. Anyway, I do like WUSTL, and I know a really cool girl who's an undergrad there, but it'd be really nice to have SOME options.

right, I got you. I am glad that i at least got to choose bama, but at the same time at least you can't make the wrong choice between schools and second guess yourself. WUSTL or bust right?

cjs20

New

Post by cjs20 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:57 pm

@creader

My wife and I moved into Rivermont Apartments just north of the river two weeks ago. It's rather spacious for a one bedroom and has a quiet atmosphere. When we moved in, a light fixture was down and our garbage disposal was on the fritz. The staff fixed both that day. The drive to school is about 10 mins.

I don't know where else she looked, but it works fine for me.

http://www.rivermontapts.info/

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

polohut88

New

Post by polohut88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

yep, it is OFFICIAL....i got REJECTED....I emailed them asking them about my fate since I am not back home yet and will not have access to my postal mail anytime soon...it was a great run....waiting 5 months pending, lol, shoulda known, haha.

here is the email:

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a seat in the Class. It is a very competitive year for admission. A letter has been sent via post mail to your permanent address. We thank you for applying to Alabama Law, and we sincerely wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
The Law School Admissions Office

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Called today to try and get my MyBama account up and working so I can constantly check it and angst over it not ever changing. Found out that I am still in review. Not sure if I am glad or not, lol. I am glad I haven't been rejected outright but the waiting is killing me and my parents ask EVERYDAY if I have heard anything.

Also I got a little freaked out by the above poster. My name is Sam, too. Universe foreshadowing my fate? (Sorry, mate. Best of luck to you!)

polohut88

New

Post by polohut88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm

samaside wrote:Called today to try and get my MyBama account up and working so I can constantly check it and angst over it not ever changing. Found out that I am still in review. Not sure if I am glad or not, lol. I am glad I haven't been rejected outright but the waiting is killing me and my parents ask EVERYDAY if I have heard anything.

Also I got a little freaked out by the above poster. My name is Sam, too. Universe foreshadowing my fate? (Sorry, mate. Best of luck to you!)

haha, i am the unlucky Sam, the one that goes to Auburn University, their biggest rival. Soo that is also one thing I had going againsnt me, lol jk. As long as you dont go to Auburn, you have a better chance than I ever had, lol.

If you are still in review, you are doing good. you made the first cut!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:03 pm

Is pending =/= review? Does it actually change to "in review?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bzsmith

New

Post by bzsmith » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am

Kabuo wrote:Is pending =/= review? Does it actually change to "in review?"

Bump.

Is "Complete - Ready for Review" different from "Pending" and "In Review?"

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:57 am

bzsmith wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Is pending =/= review? Does it actually change to "in review?"

Bump.

Is "Complete - Ready for Review" different from "Pending" and "In Review?"
I've had all of those statuses. Currently sitting at Pending.

Don't know if it really means anything different though

wester0

New

Post by wester0 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

I've been pending for a few months now. When I called to ask what it meant I was told that it essentially means held.

JGStudent

New

Post by JGStudent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

wester0 wrote:I've been pending for a few months now. When I called to ask what it meant I was told that it essentially means held.
What do you mean by held?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”