Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:43 am

The Boalt Twitter gives us hope for next week!

moxiepostulate

Bronze

Post by moxiepostulate » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 am

Under review 11/15. Can't wait for you October kids to start hearing back! So exciting. It'll make my wait a little bit better by perusing your numbers, hehe...

calihopeful

New

Post by calihopeful » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Just went under review in the last couple of days. Any idea how long it usually takes to hear back??

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm

calihopeful wrote:Just went under review in the last couple of days. Any idea how long it usually takes to hear back??
Considering no one has heard back yet, no.

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

123xalady wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
123xalady wrote:Berkeley Law tweet--BoaltAdmissions: It's almost Thanksgiving...what are you thankful for? Could it be the news that we are planning to make some phone calls next week?
If I'm to hear any good news at all, I'll probably go to committee review with my numbers.

That being said, I'll still be checking my phone obsessively all of next week, making sure to stay within areas of good cell coverage. :mrgreen:
Does the status checker inform re: committee review? (or do they email you?)
If i reall correctly from last cycle, you get an email if/when you go under committee review. They will also, at that time, give you a date by which a decision will be reached on your file.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MM326

Bronze

Post by MM326 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

jd2014! wrote:
123xalady wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
123xalady wrote:Berkeley Law tweet--BoaltAdmissions: It's almost Thanksgiving...what are you thankful for? Could it be the news that we are planning to make some phone calls next week?
If I'm to hear any good news at all, I'll probably go to committee review with my numbers.

That being said, I'll still be checking my phone obsessively all of next week, making sure to stay within areas of good cell coverage. :mrgreen:
Does the status checker inform re: committee review? (or do they email you?)
If i reall correctly from last cycle, you get an email if/when you go under committee review. They will also, at that time, give you a date by which a decision will be reached on your file.
Does everyone go under committee review or only a few select people?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:10 pm

MM326 wrote:Does everyone go under committee review or only a few select people?
select people, i'm not sure what percentage or number of applicants though

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Does the status checker inform re: committee review? (or do they email you?)[/quote]

If i recall correctly from last cycle, you get an email if/when you go under committee review. They will also, at that time, give you a date by which a decision will be reached on your file.[/quote]

Does everyone go under committee review or only a few select people?[/quote]

From the Berkeley Law admissions site:

"EVALUATION
Administrative Review
Once each file is complete, it is evaluated on the basis of the admissions criteria. The dean of admissions admits a certain number of applicants who, under the governing criteria and on the basis of his experience, would have a high likelihood of admission if referred to the Admissions Committee. Similarly, applicants who would have a high likelihood of being denied if referred to the committee are denied by the dean of admissions.

Committee Review
The remaining applicants are given more extended consideration by the Admissions Committee, which is composed of faculty and students.

The student role is consultative; the faculty members' decisions are final. Only students who are members of the Admissions Committee are permitted to read files. You may indicate on the application form whether or you consent to have your file read by a student member of the committee. In the evaluation of your application, no weight is given to whether you have consented to student review. In every case, complete confidentiality of all materials is maintained.

As a result of the committee's consideration, some applicants are admitted, some are placed on a waiting list, and the remaining applicants are denied. The total number admitted is that which experience has indicated will fill the places available in the entering class. If the number of admitted students who accept an offer of admission falls below the number necessary to fill the class, a waiting list is used to fill the remaining places."

calihopeful

New

Post by calihopeful » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't know about committee review my status only says under review

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

s254w

Bronze

Post by s254w » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:Under review 11/15. Can't wait for you October kids to start hearing back! So exciting. It'll make my wait a little bit better by perusing your numbers, hehe...
+1

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm

calihopeful wrote:I don't know about committee review my status only says under review
From what I gathered from friends who applied before (and following last year's cycle as a TLS lurker) , strong candidates will get in through administrative review (meaning they'll be more or less handpicked by Dean Tom), the rest will either be rejected or sent to Committee/Faculty Review. We'll get a separate email telling us if we go to Faculty Review, and when to expect a decision. I believe about a 1/3 of those of who go Committee Review are accepted- so if you have borderline numbers- it's definitely a positive thing.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Any ideas on who's going to hear back next week? Obviously, it will be candidates that are relatively easy decisions to reject or accept. But what about application submission date? Any ideas on how early one would have had to apply in order to be hopeful about hearing back next week (assuming one is an "easy decision")? I'm assuming that my 11/2 submission date is too late for the first batch...

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Any ideas on who's going to hear back next week? Obviously, it will be candidates that are relatively easy decisions to reject or accept. But what about application submission date? Any ideas on how early one would have had to apply in order to be hopeful about hearing back next week (assuming one is an "easy decision")? I'm assuming that my 11/2 submission date is too late for the first batch...

I applied around the same time as well and quickly went under review, but I think even the super-early applicants went under review for the first time around that week as well. Not saying they still aren't going in order of submission- but I wouldn't put those who applied late October/early November out of the running for getting a decision next week either.

Or this could just be my very, very wishful thinking. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Based on last year thread, it definitely wasn't by order of submission. Some dude got in having only been complete for a day. It also wasn't by application strength since there were some people with pretty borderline GPAs or LSATs that got in the first week.

I went complete 10/18 and I'm a borderline case. High LSAT, low GPA - not Boalt's favorite type, but seems like last year they accepted a lot of high LSATs early.

Basically, they do their own weird thing and there doesn't really seem to be a pattern to it haha

thus concluding a post that essentially said we know nothing... lol

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

I like the way y'all are thinking :)

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 pm

This may be a stupid question, but if you have nothing applicable for the care of dependents section on the resume, should you create that section and just put "N/A" or leave it off entirely?

Guess I should officially introduce myself to the thread...

161(retaking in December) 3.78

Hoping to finish up everything by tomorrow and get the app in.

Wannabelawyer101

New

Post by Wannabelawyer101 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:52 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Based on last year thread, it definitely wasn't by order of submission. Some dude got in having only been complete for a day. It also wasn't by application strength since there were some people with pretty borderline GPAs or LSATs that got in the first week.

I went complete 10/18 and I'm a borderline case. High LSAT, low GPA - not Boalt's favorite type, but seems like last year they accepted a lot of high LSATs early.

Basically, they do their own weird thing and there doesn't really seem to be a pattern to it haha

I know they largely don't care about what your major is, but I think the fact that your 3.6 is in engineering bodes well for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geraldo8187

New

Post by geraldo8187 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:55 pm

LSN shows that a guy got accepted today (URM, 160, 3.2). More on the way?

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Wannabelawyer101 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:Based on last year thread, it definitely wasn't by order of submission. Some dude got in having only been complete for a day. It also wasn't by application strength since there were some people with pretty borderline GPAs or LSATs that got in the first week.

I know they largely don't care about what your major is, but I think the fact that your 3.6 is in engineering bodes well for you.
I hope so!! :)

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

geraldo8187 wrote:LSN shows that a guy got accepted today (URM, 160, 3.2). More on the way?
Wow, those are rather low stats for the first batch of acceptances, even for a URM (which I am as well). He must be over the moon. I'm excited that things are finally kicking off though; fingers crossed for all of us!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:44 pm

or it's a flame...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Submitted...!

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:46 pm

tipler4213 wrote:or it's a flame...
+1

I vote flame. Twitter said next week, and he/she is the only one reporting.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:47 pm

tipler4213 wrote:or it's a flame...
Oh, right. :oops: Nothing seemed particularly flame-like about the profile, but that's likely to be the case since they told us next week...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:32 pm

LSN trolls often make AA applicants with super low numbers and show them getting accepted to HYS and stuff. Just gotta discount it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”