Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cjr1988

New

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by cjr1988 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 pm

AHHHHH. I don't know why, but knowing that they will be reviewing my file soon under committee review is so stressful to me. I had reached a kind of blissful ignorance. Up to this point, I was just glad that I was still in the game. But now I am just FREAKING out... Good luck, everybody! Maybe they'll let us all in :)

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 pm

glitched wrote:lol i wrote a 1.5 pg PS. kindaaaaaaaaaaaa regretting it now.
This isn't determinitive. Boalt was my reach and, as such, I turned in the same 2 pager I sent to every school instead of a longer, Boalt focused PS.

I know some of the individuals that make up this committee. They are dedicated to trying to find the best, most qualified applicants from an extremely qualified pool. They don't have an interest in ruling people in or out on technicalities like this one.

I understand this is a stressful experience, but understand that if you've gone under review at Boalt you've likely gotten into some really good schools and you still have a great shot at Boalt. Try not to stress too much. :D

mss455

Bronze

Post by mss455 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
This isn't determinitive. Boalt was my reach and, as such, I turned in the same 2 pager I sent to every school instead of a longer, Boalt focused PS.

I know some of the individuals that make up this committee. They are dedicated to trying to find the best, most qualified applicants from an extremely qualified pool. They don't have an interest in ruling people in or out on technicalities like this one.

I understand this is a stressful experience, but understand that if you've gone under review at Boalt you've likely gotten into some really good schools and you still have a great shot at Boalt. Try not to stress too much. :D
bilbo: based on your expertise, what in your opinion is in reserve for those of us who have been in review from the Oct/November 2010 and still under review and not sent for FR ! Thank you.

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 pm

mss455 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

bilbo: based on your expertise, what in your opinion is in reserve for those of us who have been in review from the Oct/November 2010 and still under review and not sent for FR ! Thank you.
+1

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm

I have no idea. I'm not in the admissions office and I don't want to guess because I honestly have no clue. Rotor's right, though - until you're out of the game you're in the game. I submitted 11/18 and didn't hear a peep until late Jan, and that was to go under review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:56 pm

lmi wrote:committee review here as well...but haven't received the email yet (just via status checker). here's to hoping berkeley asterisks me in.
You might want to check your junk mail folder. Mine was in it for some reason.

swimmergirl1303

Bronze

Post by swimmergirl1303 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm

anyone got an idea of how many candidates make it out of comm review in tact? ie get admitted?

lmi

New

Post by lmi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm

timmna wrote:
lmi wrote:committee review here as well...but haven't received the email yet (just via status checker). here's to hoping berkeley asterisks me in.
You might want to check your junk mail folder. Mine was in it for some reason.
well look at that. got it, thanks!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 pm

mss455 wrote:
Rotor wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I have a similar question to some of those above. When seems to be the cut off for when people who received the committee review emails went under review?

If I went UR 12/6 and didn't get an email, am I screwed?
Just a word of "encouragement" for those who have been under review a while but didn't get the FR email: until you get the ding, you are still in the game. (Not really encouraging I know-- hence the "" above even though I dislike using them that way.) My guess is that Dean Tom tries to level load the two rounds. You may be in reserve to fill that second round depending on the # and quality of late apps.

Bilbo: awesome one about the *. Extremely funny considering how hard the school works to avoid ranking etc.
It's so taxing on my system to be UR and no word since 11/15 !!!
I feel the same way and I applied a month earlier! But I got the FR email today...I was so excited to see an email from Berkeley I nearly pissed my pants. Then I went to the "Berkeley is such a cocktease, I can't take it" phase. And now I'm happily content still being in the running. Pleeeease oh pleeease oh pleeease oh pleeease Berkeley pick me :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

got the email as well. excited to still be in the game, but after uva and uchicago rejections and a penn ed deferral, i'm not too amped on the rest of the cycle.

regardless, is there any hope we'll hear before 2/18 or does everyone hear on the same day?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm

CR here as well. GL everyone. I would be so beyond happy to get in!

Gaby

New

Post by Gaby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Under Review 11/1, got the committee review today! aaaaaaaaaahhhhh

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Weird, I never went into CR before i got my acceptance. Maybe someone really liked me? Good luck to all of you going into CR. It can be a stressful time but at least it isn't a rejection. I'm still waiting on my login info which they seem to take their sweet time with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Add me to the group that received the committee review email. Are folks writing LOCIs for committee review, or is that not warranted?

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

After spending months following this thread from the shadows, going to committee review has pushed me over the edge and into making an account. I've never been so afraid of my inbox as I have been for the past week.
Good Luck to all still waiting to hear back.

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Also under committee review here, same day as the Decision Letter Sent (of DOOM!) showed up on my Stanford checker. First day in a while I've had movement on two schools. Too bad they'll probably both end up being bad... haha. :roll:

GoldenGopherHopeful

New

Post by GoldenGopherHopeful » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 pm

I didn't get any such Committee Review email - my status still says "Under Review 1/10." What does that mean???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Add me to the group that received the committee review email. Are folks writing LOCIs for committee review, or is that not warranted?
i dont think it is necessary at all. I went under Committee Review back in early december (after going complete 11/3); completely gave up hope by january. Just today got an email saying accepted. no clue how, had the numbers but nothing special about me at all haha

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

HowdyYall wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Add me to the group that received the committee review email. Are folks writing LOCIs for committee review, or is that not warranted?
i dont think it is necessary at all. I went under Committee Review back in early december (after going complete 11/3); completely gave up hope by january. Just today got an email saying accepted. no clue how, had the numbers but nothing special about me at all haha
Every time I see your name:

But I've given up hope completely. Bit of a stretch for my numbers, anyway. :)

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:26 am

Got the email too. I don't think I like knowing a specific date (give or take) on which to expect a decision.

swimmergirl1303

Bronze

Post by swimmergirl1303 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 am

cjr1988 wrote:AHHHHH. I don't know why, but knowing that they will be reviewing my file soon under committee review is so stressful to me. I had reached a kind of blissful ignorance. Up to this point, I was just glad that I was still in the game. But now I am just FREAKING out... Good luck, everybody! Maybe they'll let us all in :)

+ 1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

williams55

New

Post by williams55 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 am

Redsgomarchingon wrote:looking at LSN last year, 2/18 was judgement day. About 10-15 acceptances, and a whoooooooooole lot of rejections.
looking at this is SO FRIGHTENING. the list of rejections on 02.18 is like two pages long! Dear B, please don't make me part of that group this year! <3 <3 <3

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am

williams55 wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:looking at LSN last year, 2/18 was judgement day. About 10-15 acceptances, and a whoooooooooole lot of rejections.
looking at this is SO FRIGHTENING. the list of rejections on 02.18 is like two pages long! Dear B, please don't make me part of that group this year! <3 <3 <3
their graph just looks like a total blood bath.

rasputin101

New

Post by rasputin101 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:After spending months following this thread from the shadows, going to committee review has pushed me over the edge and into making an account. I've never been so afraid of my inbox as I have been for the past week.
Good Luck to all still waiting to hear back.
+1/2, as NOT going into FR has pushed me from lurking to posting. UR since 11/8. I've been obsessively stalking the berk 2010 applicant thread, and I'm not feeling too good about my chances. SIGH.

omg I need to step away from the computer.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 am

Yay, committee review. At least I didn't get auto-dinged!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”