U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Neo

Bronze

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Neo wrote:Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

Barbie, I am assuming you may be able to answer this question best as you most likely have spent the most time stalking the threads from previous years...
Tomorrow if the past was a pattern.

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:58 pm

jr1886 wrote:
Neo wrote:Is there any indication on how long it will be until the next batch of notifications are released?

I really hope you're not kidding...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Neo wrote:
jr1886 wrote:

I really hope you're not kidding...
Haha I'm not sure. I think it was pretty often though. Every other week or so. Then after December it seemed to go in a pattern, with acceptances being somewhat random, then a group of rejections, then a group of WL.

plt06

New

Post by plt06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:08 am

plt06 wrote:I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.

I would like to know before Christmas.lol. Gah, so stressful. I dislike the waiting game;however, I have two acceptances so far so I know I'm going to school somewhere.lol.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:20 am

hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.
I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 am

kwais wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:anyone know what the living situation is for law students at UF? Is there a certain area/complex that most of the law/grad school kids live? Do most people live alone or have roommates? I heard Gainesville is pretty inexpensive but I just want to be prepared as possible when I visit since it's a pretty long drive from south florida.
I rent a 1/1 within 2 blocks of campus for 550 + utilities. That's not exactly typical but it does exist. Like others said, SW 2nd AVE, where the law school is, has a ton of houses that law students live in, but anything in Midtown or near Westgate Plaza is within a 3 minute drive, 5 minute bike and 15 minute walk. Also I got my last 2 apartments here from Craigslist and was very satisfied. People will warn you about Paradigm Properties as they are the big shadowy company that owns 2/3 of Gainesville. most of the warnings are founded.
Random question: My boyfriend is graduating with a degree in business management. He can't come with me to Gville unless he finds employment. He simply needs something full time that will pay enough to fund our rent, utils, food, etc. How is the job market there for things like that? Realistically, he could probably manage a bar or something and be happy.. or a decent restaurant. Is it a struggle to find something like this or do you think he will be pretty successful?

Why: If he can't come with me, I have no idea what I'll do living wise. I've lived with him 3.5 years now. I've never lived by myself and the thought freaks me out being a girl and all... and if I live with others I definitly want a house.. a NICE house that would cost @ 500+utils per person. AND I think it would be hard to find someone who will live with me considering I have 3 pets (at least 2 would come with me). Ughh... haha

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am

plt06 wrote:I'd love it if I could find out before winter break. They've had "final decision pending" on my status since mid-October. They admitted me last year but wouldn't let me defer (after telling me throughout the application and visit process that it wouldn't be an issue). I don't see how their decision could be all that difficult.
wow, that's some bs. i'd be a little pissed if i were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am

kwais wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how big is your one bedroom?

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:48 am

Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:

I agree with trying to avoid Paradigm Properties. I live in one of their buildings in Tallahassee. The property is beautify and the apartments are spacious; however, the walls are paper thin and the management sucks. If the properties are built like they are here and if they have the same management practices, I would definitely stay away.
I can't stand half of the apartment companies in Tallahassee!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:

I don't know the square footage off hand, but it is more than enough for me. tiny kitchen but big living room and moderate bedroom. I pay almost nothing in utilities so I think its the best deal in town.
also beware (to all), transportation is very good here, but many apartments claim to be really close to campus, or just a direct bus line away when in reality you are looking at 30-40 mins each way on the bus when accounting for waiting time + stops. then again some people like those apartment complexes alot. they are usually nicer and cheaper. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and walk to school in 5 minutes

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

kwais wrote:
Neo wrote:
kwais wrote:

I don't know the square footage off hand, but it is more than enough for me. tiny kitchen but big living room and moderate bedroom. I pay almost nothing in utilities so I think its the best deal in town.
also beware (to all), transportation is very good here, but many apartments claim to be really close to campus, or just a direct bus line away when in reality you are looking at 30-40 mins each way on the bus when accounting for waiting time + stops. then again some people like those apartment complexes alot. they are usually nicer and cheaper. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and walk to school in 5 minutes

IE: The Woodlands.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Review complete, decision pending as of today 11/30.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Barbie wrote:Any UFers can answer my employment question pls? :D
I can't say for sure, but my impression is that employment opportunities are shit here. Then again there might be higher turnover considering the population demographic. Managing a restaurant? bar? maybe, there are a lot of those here. But again, this town consists of the university, the services that serve it (food, drink etc.) and that's about it. Without those, it would be a big cow field.
Lesser jobs, such as waiting tables, might really enjoy having someone with excellent availability, but I don't know if your boyfriend would want that sort of work.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

alicrimson wrote:

IE: The Woodlands.
Bingo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey just saw this thread,

I'll be applying in early-mid January. Waiting to take December LSAT and will have all my materials ready by the time LSAC releases scores.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm

kwais wrote:
I can't say for sure, but my impression is that employment opportunities are shit here. Then again there might be higher turnover considering the population demographic. Managing a restaurant? bar? maybe, there are a lot of those here. But again, this town consists of the university, the services that serve it (food, drink etc.) and that's about it. Without those, it would be a big cow field.
Lesser jobs, such as waiting tables, might really enjoy having someone with excellent availability, but I don't know if your boyfriend would want that sort of work.
Yeah... waitressing isn't really what he wants to do at all. Managing at least has SOMETHING to do with his degree and could be seen as experience haha. I guess he will have to send out some applications and find out

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:
Yeah... waitressing isn't really what he wants to do at all. Managing at least has SOMETHING to do with his degree and could be seen as experience haha. I guess he will have to send out some applications and find out
It's definitely worth a try.
Also, there are a ton of safe, pet friendly, clean apartments and houses around here for that budget.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm

kwais wrote: It's definitely worth a try.
Also, there are a ton of safe, pet friendly, clean apartments and houses around here for that budget.
I looked at some craigslist adds. Some pretty nice houses available. I want a 3 bedroom with a big yard for my dogs. I would preferably pay @ 1100 for it but could go up to 1400 :) There seemed to be a handful of options. Are the options similarly plentiful around August? Or do they run out :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote: It's definitely worth a try.
I looked at some craigslist adds. Some pretty nice houses available. I want a 3 bedroom with a big yard for my dogs. I would preferably pay @ 1100 for it but could go up to 1400 :) There seemed to be a handful of options. Are the options similarly plentiful around August? Or do they run out :(
Houses with yards near the law school under 1400 will certainly dry up in the summer. Housing in general is usually always plentiful. Occasionally prices drop in august as landlords get desperate

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Review Complete, decision pending since 11/23. Come on UF!!!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

kwais wrote:Houses with yards near the law school under 1400 will certainly dry up in the summer. Housing in general is usually always plentiful. Occasionally prices drop in august as landlords get desperate
Bummer!! I'll have to go down and try to sign a lease with one once I figure out if I am for sure going to UF! April haggling :)

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:30 pm

For housing, I heard Casabella is pretty good but pricey. I never lived there so take this with a grain of salt.

I, however, lived a t Lexington Crossing for Undergrad---10 minutes from the law School. It's cheap, and spacious. Yet, I don't think a law student should live there. Too many undergrads and patries. If I get to go to UF for Law, i would probably live at Casabella.
Without those[UF + services], it[Gainesville] would be a big cow field.
Lmao
Last edited by jr1886 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”