IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ran12

Silver

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by ran12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

athenian wrote:With all the money IU handed out to it's acceptances so far, any chance that the cash dries up for those applying later in the cycle?
How can they actually afford to hand out so many big scholarships. Is the IU alumni base a lot more dedicated and wealthy than I thought.

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Anyone else receive an email offering a chance to attend an interview that will subsequently be included in your admission file? I believe this is not a good sign for me receiving one of these large scholly offers...I was getting really hopeful with a 3.4 and a 165. I got the complete email on 11/08/10 and have been waiting for a while now. I was really hoping a decision was coming soon.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Indiana received a $35 million donation specifically earmarked for law school scholarships.

To those accepted with large scholarships: By what date do you have to accept or decline the scholarship offer ?

nadiab420

New

Post by nadiab420 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 pm

They want a response by April 1st, but you're allowed to ask for more time if you need it.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Submitted just now. Super late, but had a fee waiver. Looking for a nice sized scholly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana received a $35 million donation specifically earmarked for law school scholarships.

To those accepted with large scholarships: By what date do you have to accept or decline the scholarship offer ?
That's a lot of money. Who gave it?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana received a $35 million donation specifically earmarked for law school scholarships.

That's a lot of money. Who gave it?
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/9420.html

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Sent my app off today. Hopefully it goes through fairly quickly.

ecarter22

New

Post by ecarter22 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:02 pm

In today with a 120k scholarship and a hand written note about my personal statement from the assistant dean! Complete 12/13, 165 4.0 oos.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Can anyone explain (obviously, most likely speculating, but what else is TLS good for) why IU dropped rankings last year? I know four spots isn't the end of the world, but with such a large endowment, I would think that they would be attracting better applicants, and thus, go up in rankings. Thoughts?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Woo!!! Just got my admit packet today with the $120k scholly :D

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:12 pm

krad wrote:Woo!!! Just got my admit packet today with the $120k scholly :D
Congrats!

I came home to the longest message ever from a current 3L.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:15 pm

krad wrote:Woo!!! Just got my admit packet today with the $120k scholly :D
Yay!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:25 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Can anyone explain (obviously, most likely speculating, but what else is TLS good for) why IU dropped rankings last year? I know four spots isn't the end of the world, but with such a large endowment, I would think that they would be attracting better applicants, and thus, go up in rankings. Thoughts?
Could be employment data, and it could be schools moving up rather than IU necessarily moving down.

There's no question IU is trying to raise their LSAT median this cycle, perhaps in response to the rankings.

IU is a legit school, and this ( http://deadspin.com/5734063/the-public- ... undeniable ) only makes me want to go there more :lol:

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Can anyone explain (obviously, most likely speculating, but what else is TLS good for) why IU dropped rankings last year? I know four spots isn't the end of the world, but with such a large endowment, I would think that they would be attracting better applicants, and thus, go up in rankings. Thoughts?
Because they made a big jump the previous year for a number of reasons.
IU only fell back a few spots, and one of those spots was GW getting its place back after "correcting" the rankings.

Edit: In case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/10/06/unh ... t-program/
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/04/u-s-news ... -rankings/

Gc12

New

Post by Gc12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:55 am

In with the 120K ... very excited :)

Keats

New

Post by Keats » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

What are the chances a similarly-ranked school would try to match a $120K offer from IUB? Do you think every other school knows that someone in the IUB admissions office has lost it and handed out free rides to half the admitted class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:41 am

Keats wrote:What are the chances a similarly-ranked school would try to match a $120K offer from IUB? Do you think every other school knows that someone in the IUB admissions office has lost it and handed out free rides to half the admitted class?
They are probably aware, but they also know that in order to compete they're going to need to do SOMETHING. Match 120k, unlikely, but they should increase their scholly offers in order to compete somewhat.

LSATWIZ

New

Post by LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 am

pereira6 wrote:
Keats wrote:What are the chances a similarly-ranked school would try to match a $120K offer from IUB? Do you think every other school knows that someone in the IUB admissions office has lost it and handed out free rides to half the admitted class?
They are probably aware, but they also know that in order to compete they're going to need to do SOMETHING. Match 120k, unlikely, but they should increase their scholly offers in order to compete somewhat.
How long are they going to do this for? It may increase their ranking for 1 year substantially, but the change will be superficial if they can't do it again next year.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am

I don't see other schools around it coming close to that. The reason IU is giving out so much is because it essentially hit a scholarship jackpot from a donor. A lot of the schools around it are either state funded or notorious for not giving much. Also, who would really want to spend 3 years in Bloomington over some of the other cities that the schools ranked near IU are in. There are definite quality of life and networking advantages to the other schools that IU can't compete with.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59 am

ran12 wrote:
I don't see other schools around it coming close to that. The reason IU is giving out so much is because it essentially hit a scholarship jackpot from a donor. A lot of the schools around it are either state funded or notorious for not giving much. Also, who would really want to spend 3 years in Bloomington over some of the other cities that the schools ranked near IU are in. There are definite quality of life and networking advantages to the other schools that IU can't compete with.
Plenty of people, including myself. It's an hour away from Indianapolis. It's not bad in job placing outside of Indiana. It's super cheap to live there. Bloomington is in south Indiana so it's actually a pretty temperate climate (huge for someone like me who hates winter).

So what if IU has the money to give out for scholarships, and they're doing so? It's not like anyone's being offered $$$ from a TTT, we're talking about a highly ranked school here. None of those schools has a obvious location advantage that would sway a large amount of people from IU for significantly less $$$. Probably sway some, but it's not absurd to take IU at good money.

Just because you personally wouldn't doesn't mean most people would do the same, is all I'm saying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 pm

pereira6 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Plenty of people, including myself. It's an hour away from Indianapolis. It's not bad in job placing outside of Indiana. It's super cheap to live there. Bloomington is in south Indiana so it's actually a pretty temperate climate (huge for someone like me who hates winter).

So what if IU has the money to give out for scholarships, and they're doing so? It's not like anyone's being offered $$$ from a TTT, we're talking about a highly ranked school here. None of those schools has a obvious location advantage that would sway a large amount of people from IU for significantly less $$$. Probably sway some, but it's not absurd to take IU at good money.

Just because you personally wouldn't doesn't mean most people would do the same, is all I'm saying.
This.

I'm also not sure Iowa City, IA; Madison, WI; South Bend, IN and Athens, GA are such obvious winners over Bloomington... And, while I imagine Davis, CA is lovely, is it worth the extra $100k? (UCDavis OOS sticker vs. IUB OOS $120k scholarship recipient).

Don't underestimate the freedom graduating with minimal debt gives you.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm not trying to put down IU. My argument was that there's no reason schools ranked around IU are going to come close to 120k when there's no real reason to do so. It's not like those schools are going to plummet b/c IU snatched up some high numbers.

LSATWIZ

New

Post by LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 pm

ran12 wrote:I'm not trying to put down IU. My argument was that there's no reason schools ranked around IU are going to come close to 120k when there's no real reason to do so. It's not like those schools are going to plummet b/c IU snatched up some high numbers.
That is not necessarily true. Indiana might have a median LSAT score of 168+ next year.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:37 pm

LSATWIZ wrote:
ran12 wrote:I'm not trying to put down IU. My argument was that there's no reason schools ranked around IU are going to come close to 120k when there's no real reason to do so. It's not like those schools are going to plummet b/c IU snatched up some high numbers.
That is not necessarily true. Indiana might have a median LSAT score of 168+ next year.
IU most likely didn't blow their load early either. It would be smart to try to keep this pace up for a few years, and they probably know that. Not everyone who got 120k+ will be attending, and I don't think they used up their entire donation towards this year. They probably will be doing the same thing for at least three years, and by that point they'll have a nice pool of quality individuals who turned down T14s for close to full rides or more. Result = higher ranking for more than one year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”