SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
simontemplar

Bronze

Re: SMU 2011

Post by simontemplar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Just got a call! From my mom, she was wondering what time I was going to be getting in tonight. Going back to Dallas for the weekend.
You're dead to me.
Lol I hate u longhorn88 hhaaha

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 pm

so am i the only one here who is going to bombard smu with phone callas february 1st when we don't hear back by monday?

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 pm

swiftwings88 wrote:so am i the only one here who is going to bombard smu with phone callas february 1st when we don't hear back by monday?
I fully, 100% expect to hear something Monday. They told us end of January when we applied ED, and this was reiterated to me when I visited- that we would hear something before the end of January.

SMUPonyGrad10

New

Post by SMUPonyGrad10 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:14 pm

emhellmer wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:So what's the over/under that acceptances start coming out?

Also, anyone who rips on SMU because they don't think the paint on the walls is fresh enough is a doucher and I'm glad I won't have to spend 3 years in class with you.
:lol:
Please, this is rich. I believe I provided an opinion on the aesthetics of SMU AS A WHOLE, not just the law school or its facilities. Reading my original post closely reveals that I did not rip SMU. I spent four years busting my ass at SMU as a non-traditional student and based on my use of the facilities and familiarity with the university, am merely stating the obvious in response to someone else's comment that the facilities were disappointing - they are correct. I am, however, steadfast in my support of SMU's academics and achievements. So, based on the fact you've yet to receive an update on your application - you are probably admitted - and good for you. When the bloom falls off the rose and you take a look around, you too may be dismayed with the aesthetics of the ENTIRE campus (aside from Dedman Life). The exterior is in fact beautiful. But I don't believe class is held outside often. This does not mean you will be dismayed with your law school or experience or that your education will not be stellar. And like the 1L who also commented, you will and should feel fortunate you have this opportunity before you. As for me, after personally dropping $110k on an undergraduate education at SMU, I am entitled to my opinion - as are you. But before you sink to new levels and resort to elementary name calling - grow up and consider that my experience and personal opinion on the aesthetics of the university's facilities just might give you pause to consider your environment before you commit, which I hope you do. I continue to support and give back to this university in more ways that I dare recount for each of you.

Hoping you all hear good news Monday. Again, good luck.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

WTF...LSN shows and SMU acceptance?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm

simontemplar wrote:WTF...LSN shows and SMU acceptance?!
Interesting...

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

ebo wrote:
Interesting...
The guy is from Alaska...

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

simontemplar wrote:
ebo wrote:
Interesting...

I bet they mailed all the letters on Friday...but because it would take forever for a letter to get to Alaska, they went ahead and called this guy.

waketiger

New

Post by waketiger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 pm

simontemplar wrote:
simontemplar wrote:
ebo wrote:
Interesting...

I bet they mailed all the letters on Friday...but because it would take forever for a letter to get to Alaska, they went ahead and called this guy.
So do you think they won't be making phone calls this year and will rather just send acceptance letters?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Last edited by Longhorn88 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Longhorn88 wrote: what do you do at SMU for fun when you're too old to hit on the freshmen coeds?
Hit on Senior Coeds?

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Longhorn88 wrote: what do you do at SMU for fun when you're too old to hit on the freshmen coeds?

when are you too old to do that?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
SMUPonyGrad10 wrote:
emhellmer wrote:

Also, anyone who rips on SMU because they don't think the paint on the walls is fresh enough is a doucher and I'm glad I won't have to spend 3 years in class with you.
Please, this is rich. I believe I provided an opinion on the aesthetics of SMU AS A WHOLE, not just the law school or its facilities. Reading my original post closely reveals that I did not rip SMU. I spent four years busting my ass at SMU as a non-traditional student and based on my use of the facilities and familiarity with the university, am merely stating the obvious in response to someone else's comment that the facilities were disappointing - they are correct. I am, however, steadfast in my support of SMU's academics and achievements. So, based on the fact you've yet to receive an update on your application - you are probably admitted - and good for you. When the bloom falls off the rose and you take a look around, you too may be dismayed with the aesthetics of the ENTIRE campus (aside from Dedman Life). The exterior is in fact beautiful. But I don't believe class is held outside often. This does not mean you will be dismayed with your law school or experience or that your education will not be stellar. And like the 1L who also commented, you will and should feel fortunate you have this opportunity before you. As for me, after personally dropping $110k on an undergraduate education at SMU, I am entitled to my opinion - as are you. But before you sink to new levels and resort to elementary name calling - grow up and consider that my experience and personal opinion on the aesthetics of the university's facilities just might give you pause to consider your environment before you commit, which I hope you do. I continue to support and give back to this university in more ways that I dare recount for each of you.

Chill brohan, I grew up in Dallas 5min from SMU and went to HPUMC my whole life. I simply find the idea that someone would discount a law school because the they thought the building wasn't new enough to be ludicrous. Aside from the fact that many people consider SMU to have a beautiful campus, the 'ascetics' of a law school is probably one of the last inputs in my criteria somewhere below distance to the nearest pizza joint and how much football tickets cost. I mean, I'm pretty sure a lot of us who applied to SMU also applied to UH. I'm going to law school to study law, get a degree, and be a lawyer. Not an interior designer.

For the record, you are not the doucher to whom I was referring. But just a quick personal question, what do you do at SMU for fun when you're too old to hit on the freshmen coeds?
As the guy you were referring to I feel I have a need to defend myself. I feel that the state of the buildings in the law school tell something about the school itself. It's not the #1 reason I consider in looking for a Law School but it holds a place for that reason. If a Law school has good Facilities it shows that the school cares a lot about its student's experience at the school. You are going to spend a lot of time on campus and if you hate it there you will have a bad experience. Obviously I still applied to SMU, and so it is in the running but like i said in that earlier post, I have been given generous offers from higher ranked schools and so SMU will have to do a lot to impress me. And their policy of waiting till late in the game to send out any acceptance and their subpar facilities come into play for me too.

FWIW, I'm also glad that I would not have to attend a school with a guy who would personally attach someone they don't know behind the anonymity of an online forum. Good luck at SMU buddy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Last edited by Longhorn88 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMUPonyGrad10

New

Post by SMUPonyGrad10 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Chill brohan, I grew up in Dallas 5min from SMU and went to HPUMC my whole life. I simply find the idea that someone would discount a law school because the they thought the building wasn't new enough to be ludicrous. Aside from the fact that many people consider SMU to have a beautiful campus, the 'ascetics' of a law school is probably one of the last inputs in my criteria somewhere below distance to the nearest pizza joint and how much football tickets cost. I mean, I'm pretty sure a lot of us who applied to SMU also applied to UH. I'm going to law school to study law, get a degree, and be a lawyer. Not an interior designer.

For the record, you are not the doucher to whom I was referring. But just a quick personal question, what do you do at SMU for fun when you're too old to hit on the freshmen coeds?[/quote]

First, this entire exchange is clearly lost on you. Second, I understand you know how to proof your entries, but I feel the need to explain to you that your use of 'ascetics' is incorrect; try aesthetics. Please utilize a dictionary to distinguish the difference between the two. I will not dignify your absurd attack on my age. You have much to learn in the art of argument. Also, you might want to do more research on the legal market in Dallas, Texas. I'm in the legal field, have watched many, many lawyers lose their jobs, and know many law students flipping burgers. Here you go big boy: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/10/smu-law- ... l-anybody/

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:47 pm

So...how 'bout them Cowboys? :roll:

As Ebo said...some phone calls on Monday would put us all at ease!

P.S. As for the UT ding I just got...
http://www.romston.com/2009/09/05/movie ... ne-moment/

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 am

Last edited by Longhorn88 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 am

But you do sound like a dick. First with the age "attack" and then the grammer chek LOL action.

Jennypenny

New

Post by Jennypenny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:11 am

Longhorn88 wrote:
SMUPonyGrad10 wrote:
emhellmer wrote:

For the record, you are not the doucher to whom I was referring. But just a quick personal question, what do you do at SMU for fun when you're too old to hit on the freshmen coeds?
I am from the suburbs of Dallas, so I feel like I can point something out here. You're claiming credibility on the matter because you basically grew up in the Park Cities, the wealthiest area in the state. Tell me, what were your unique life experiences growing up in a country club? Or does your special knowledge just come from being Methodist? (You referenced "HPUMC" -it's the Highland Park United Methodist Church). People like you have their careers handed to them on a platter because of the Highland Park "Old Boys Club". Of course you're going to SMU; if you went to any other school you would actually have to bust your butt to get a job like the rest of us.

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:16 am

Jennypenny wrote:
I am from the suburbs of Dallas, so I feel like I can point something out here. You're claiming credibility on the matter because you basically grew up in the Park Cities, the wealthiest area in the state. Tell me, what were your unique life experiences growing up in a country club? Or does your special knowledge just come from being Methodist? (You referenced "HPUMC" -it's the Highland Park United Methodist Church). People like you have their careers handed to them on a platter because of the Highland Park "Old Boys Club". Of course you're going to SMU; if you went to any other school you would actually have to bust your butt to get a job like the rest of us.
Dude why do you have to hate on the Scots and their parking garage, don't all public high schools in the US have parking garages?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 am

Longhorn88 wrote:
Chill brohan, I grew up in Dallas 5min from SMU and went to HPUMC my whole life.
I can't believe that you referenced your membership in a rich Methodist church as a proof of your credibility.
SMUPonyGrad10 wrote:Chill brohan, I grew up in Dallas 5min from SMU and went to HPUMC my whole life. I simply find the idea that someone would discount a law school because the they thought the building wasn't new enough to be ludicrous. Aside from the fact that many people consider SMU to have a beautiful campus, the 'ascetics' of a law school is probably one of the last inputs in my criteria somewhere below distance to the nearest pizza joint and how much football tickets cost. I mean, I'm pretty sure a lot of us who applied to SMU also applied to UH. I'm going to law school to study law, get a degree, and be a lawyer. Not an interior designer.

First, this entire exchange is clearly lost on you. Second, I understand you know how to proof your entries, but I feel the need to explain to you that your use of 'ascetics' is incorrect; try aesthetics. Please utilize a dictionary to distinguish the difference between the two. I will not dignify your absurd attack on my age. You have much to learn in the art of argument. Also, you might want to do more research on the legal market in Dallas, Texas. I'm in the legal field, have watched many, many lawyers lose their jobs, and know many law students flipping burgers. Here you go big boy: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/10/smu-law- ... l-anybody/[/quote]

Ha ha ha, that made me laugh a bit. Thanks Ponygrad.
Longhorn88 wrote: 1) Someone complains that the buildings at SMU Law are not up to par
2) You confirm this fact.
3) I argue that said fact does not merit consideration.
Just because you believe that that fact does not merit consideration does not make that a fact. The disagreement is on this issue. I subsequently discussed my reasons for the importance of the quality of the facilities and why quality and care are important to me. You did not discuss this in your retort you simply deride me for my belief. Ad hominem is not a valid course of argument. Like I said, good luck at SMU. And then if you read the ATL article good luck on getting a job; but I'm sure your mommy and daddy will hook you up with a job with daddy's friends.

Good luck with life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jennypenny

New

Post by Jennypenny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 am

byronmullens wrote:
Jennypenny wrote:
Dude why do you have to hate on the Scots and their parking garage, don't all public high schools in the US have parking garages?
Oh gosh, I didn't even know that. But I heard that their "boosters club" bought them a multimillion dollar indoor football practice facility. BTW ppl this is a public school we're talking about.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 am

Hey, can you guys take your internet pissing contest somewhere else?

Thanks,

ebo

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 am

ebo wrote:Hey, can you guys take your internet pissing contest somewhere else?

Thanks,

ebo
Thank you ebo. Someone had to say it.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 am

Capitol A wrote:
ebo wrote:Hey, can you guys take your internet pissing contest somewhere else?

Thanks,

ebo
Thank you ebo. Someone had to say it.
+2

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”