multiple deposits Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MURPH

Silver

multiple deposits

Post by MURPH » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 pm

I have deposits at two schools. One just emailed me, letting me know that LSAC informed them of my multiple deposits. I had already let them know I had multiple deposits, they offered me admission from the waitlist. I am a bit bothered that LSAC is giving out that information without asking me first, even though I did tell the school that beforehand. The email they send says they have a policy against holding scholarships for people with multiple deposits. If they take away my scholarship then the decision will be much easier for me.
Maybe the other school will see that I submitted multiple deposits and bump my financial aid.
Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Salzburg2013

New

Re: multiple deposits

Post by Salzburg2013 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 pm

wow! I truly wondered about this myself!!!! Thank you for sharing this information with the TLS community.

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:03 pm

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:Here is what the LSAC website says:

"Except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a deposit has been paid to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on June 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission."

--LinkRemoved--

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 pm

I got one of these notifications too... though mine came in the form of a phonecall. Really bugged out about this. I was pretty speechless, as at the time, I had no idea how school A knew about the others. I agree with the concept of using deposits to gauge incoming class size. But if they are going to play the yield protection game (and said school is notorious for yp), I need to play the seat deposit game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 am

I understand if you guys are unsure about where you want to go, believe me. But it's JULY. You need to choose soon, and having multiple deposits out, believe it or not, is holding up the wait list process for other people. Have you thought about the fact that you should probably be, oh, I dunno, finding a place to live by now? The good places in most areas are long gone by now.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:25 am

NancyBotwin wrote:I understand if you guys are unsure about where you want to go, believe me. But it's JULY. You need to choose soon, and having multiple deposits out, believe it or not, is holding up the wait list process for other people. Have you thought about the fact that you should probably be, oh, I dunno, finding a place to live by now? The good places in most areas are long gone by now.
This. If you haven't gotten a place yet, you probably aren't going to get something you're really happy with without a lot of luck.

I know it is my personal opinion, but I think multiple deposits this late in the game are rude.
MURPH wrote: I am a bit bothered that LSAC is giving out that information without asking me first, even though I did tell the school that beforehand.
Um, LSAC does that with everyone. They have your permission when you sign up to use them. Next.
MURPH wrote:
Maybe the other school will see that I submitted multiple deposits and bump my financial aid.
Ok. How can I phrase this so that you will understand? In case "no" doesn't make sense, let's use a simple example. You are on a date with a girl, let's call her Cornelle. You and Cornelle are having a nice dinner, in a cozy corner booth, when another girl you are dating, Georgina stumbles on the scene. Do you think Georgina will say, "Oh, gee, I have more competition, maybe I should give OP more BJs?"
No, she is going to be fucking pissed. In addition, Cornelle is a little confused about Georgina's place in your life. Now, you're going home alone with only your hand to keep you company. Congratulations.

That example is similar to what is happening to you. School 1 is pissed you haven't made a decision. You told them you had multiple deposits, but that doesn't mean they aren't unhappy and are thinking about withholding your scholarship. School 2 found out about school 1. That isn't going to get you more money this late in the game. Sorry, bro.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 am

eandy wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:I understand if you guys are unsure about where you want to go, believe me. But it's JULY. You need to choose soon, and having multiple deposits out, believe it or not, is holding up the wait list process for other people. Have you thought about the fact that you should probably be, oh, I dunno, finding a place to live by now? The good places in most areas are long gone by now.
This. If you haven't gotten a place yet, you probably aren't going to get something you're really happy with without a lot of luck.

I know it is my personal opinion, but I think multiple deposits this late in the game are rude.
MURPH wrote: I am a bit bothered that LSAC is giving out that information without asking me first, even though I did tell the school that beforehand.
Um, LSAC does that with everyone. They have your permission when you sign up to use them. Next.
MURPH wrote:
Ok. How can I phrase this so that you will understand? In case "no" doesn't make sense, let's use a simple example. You are on a date with a girl, let's call her Cornelle. You and Cornelle are having a nice dinner, in a cozy corner booth, when another girl you are dating, Georgina stumbles on the scene. Do you think Georgina will say, "Oh, gee, I have more competition, maybe I should give OP more BJs?"
No, she is going to be fucking pissed. In addition, Cornelle is a little confused about Georgina's place in your life. Now, you're going home alone with only your hand to keep you company. Congratulations.

That example is similar to what is happening to you. School 1 is pissed you haven't made a decision. You told them you had multiple deposits, but that doesn't mean they aren't unhappy and are thinking about withholding your scholarship. School 2 found out about school 1. That isn't going to get you more money this late in the game. Sorry, bro.
Bad example, that actually works in real life.

OP, ask for more financial aid, but they won't give it to you. They may just yank your acceptance.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:06 am

Desert Fox wrote: Bad example, that actually works in real life.

OP, ask for more financial aid, but they won't give it to you. They may just yank your acceptance.
i don't think they would yank an acceptance if you did this respectfully. i would definitely try it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 am

Nancy, etc. Thanks for replying. First, I know it is late. I was just offered admission off of the waitlist late last month. It isn't like I've been riding multiple deposits since April. I submittted my deposit a little over a week ago.

Second, the one school has sent me several emails saying that if I was offered other scholarships that they would try to match them. And desert fox is right: making girls compete helps motivate them to work harder. Adcoms are probably the same. I am sure they don't like this and they keep a waitlist just for students like me who receive multiple offers. But I have no sympathy for them. They have access to all of our information, we are totally transparent to them and they keep their information as obscure as possible. When we are on the waitlist they tell us nothing. They won't rank us or tell us our odds of admission. They send emails promising to notify us by a certain date, then that day comes and goes with no email. When we call they give us as little information as possible, often giving conflicting information to different callers.

I got nothing but sympathy for folks on the waitlists who are dying to get in somewhere. I was on 9 waitlists in April and I am still on a handful. I'm not gonna ride this out until September but I do want to play it for what it is worth.

It bothers me that I told the school that I was accepted somewhere else when I accepted their offer. I was up front about it. They didn't respond to the email I sent, except some canned thank you and reply about how it will be added to my file. When LSAC sent them an update then they decided to respond and tell me about their multiple deposit rule.

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:30 pm

I thought if i just skipped on paying my second deposit, the school would assume I just did not want to attend anymore and give my seat away....I guess not.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm

el jefe wrote:I thought if i just skipped on paying my second deposit, the school would assume I just did not want to attend anymore and give my seat away....I guess not.
Wait what?

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 pm

eandy wrote:
el jefe wrote:I thought if i just skipped on paying my second deposit, the school would assume I just did not want to attend anymore and give my seat away....I guess not.
Wait what?
I am simply stating what has already been said. I received a call from the school that i plan on attending letting me know that the other school (which I will not be attending) still has me on their list because I never formally wrote them telling them I didn't want to go anymore. I thought just skipping the second deposit was sufficient.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm

el jefe wrote:
eandy wrote:
Wait what?
I am simply stating what has already been said. I received a call from the school that i plan on attending letting me know that the other school (which I will not be attending) still has me on their list because I never formally wrote them telling them I didn't want to go anymore. I thought just skipping the second deposit was sufficient.
Thanks for clarifying.

I had a school do the same thing for the first deposit. I have no idea how I was still on their list. I figured it out about a month ago, luckily.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 pm

I wonder if they are keeping you and those like you on their list for a reason. Maybe they are trying to freak out the competition. If businesses had access to each others customer lists they would try to run up the costs for their competition by making their own lists look better. The other schools think they have to offer $$ to compete when, in fact, the student is already committed. I doubt they are that devious/smart. Maybe they are just lazy and don't clean up their lists.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”