Cornell sticker vs. Vanderbilt 20k/yr scholarship

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Cornell vs. Vanderbilt 20k/yr scholarship

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Cornell
26%
Vandy with Scholly
74%

Total votes: 86

Bobushka22

Cornell sticker vs. Vanderbilt 20k/yr scholarship

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Without detail... I really am pretty flexible. I more want to see people's generalized view.

MusicNutMeggie

Re: Cornell sticker vs. Vanderbilt 20k/yr scholarship

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:17 am

Cornell has better nationwide placement, but where do you want to practice?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 am

Have you visited both schools? When I was still choosing between schools, the visit really made my decision easy. It kept me from choosing a school that seemed like a good fit on paper, but one I would have been unhappy with had I attended without visiting. When it comes to choosing a school, sometimes it's good to trust your gut instinct.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 am

Without detail, no one can really help you in a substantive way.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:30 am

Here let me flip a coin. Cornell is heads and Vanderbilt is tails.

Vanderbilt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 am

I'm shocked at how Vanderbilt is dominating this poll.

Vanderbilt is a great school, but I think Cornell is objectively better. Still, the money + Nashville being awesome makes it a close call.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 am

romothesavior wrote:I'm shocked at how Vanderbilt is dominating this poll.

I'm not. Vandy gets a lot of love for its fun reputation and nice NLJ250 numbers, while Cornell gets a lot of T12 hate.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:41 am

rad law wrote:

I'm not. Vandy gets a lot of love for its fun reputation and nice NLJ250 numbers, while Cornell gets a lot of T12 hate.

First of all, what happened to the avatar? A failed experiment?

And yeah I know that, Vandy gets a lot of love and Cornell a lot of hate, but it is still a T14 vs. non-T14. I suppose the money plays a big factor as well.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:56 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

First of all, what happened to the avatar? A failed experiment?

And yeah I know that, Vandy gets a lot of love and Cornell a lot of hate, but it is still a T14 vs. non-T14. I suppose the money plays a big factor as well.

Corsair took it down because it was annoying/caused seizures blah blah... insert joke about how TLS is totalitarian.

Ah yes the money definitely plays a big role. The money is a lot. I am thinking generally that people who think only T6/T12 are worth full ride vote Vandy, while the people who thing T14/T18 are worth full freight vote for Cornell.

Again, more details are needed (especially where OP wants to work - the South?), but in this situation I'm inclined to go with the money just offhand.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:00 am

The money is a lot, but also think about whether you want to deal with the winter in Ithaca. If cold weather dampens your mood, I think this is a no-brained even without the money.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:26 am

I cannot, with a clear conscience, give you any advice that would lead to you moving to Ithaca.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 am

FWIW, I had both of these offers (Cornell at sticker and Vandy with 20k) and I took neither one for my own very narrow personal reasons. But if I were going to pick between these two, it would have been Vanderbilt all the way. Dunno what that is worth but there you have it.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

Vandy with $$ >>>> Cornell

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 am

Not enough info. With no info, Vanderbilt, because I'm a stingy bastard. You should visit, though, during the brief Ithaca summer.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 am

creamedcats wrote:Not enough info. With no info, Vanderbilt, because I'm a stingy bastard. You should visit, though, during the brief Ithaca summer.

So you are completely deluded as far as it being pleasant to live there?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am

Tautology wrote:The money is a lot, but also think about whether you want to deal with the winter in Ithaca. If cold weather dampens your mood, I think this is a no-brained even without the money.

Really? No-brained if the cold weather "dampens your mood?" If a school is better at even $, perhaps one could deal with a little mood-dampening. Here is what I will say from the perspective of a Cornell student who really likes Vanderbilt as well. The money tips the balance toward Vanderbilt in this situation. If the money were even, you would not be foolish taking the Vanderbilt offer, but I would only make the choice if I really prefered Vandy (more than a little mood-dampening). But the money is not even, and Vanderbilt places well, so if I were you, I would ask Cornell for money. If none was forthcoming, I would go to Vanderbilt and feel like I made the right choice.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 am

If it will make the OP feel better about choosing Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt (along with WashU and Tulane) host an interview program in both NYC and DC (just in case the OP was worried about getting a job in NYC or DC from Vanderbilt).

Essentially, Cornell is not quantifiably better than Vanderbilt. The schools are just different. But the question is, is Cornell worth $60,000 more (in interest accumulating debt) than Vanderbilt?

I don't think so.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:46 am

I'm a future Vandy student, so keep in mind my obvious bais, but I think, all things equal, Vandy>Cornell (by nearly every objective measure), regardless of money. Here was a discussion on this comparison:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113124&start=25

For your situation, keep in mind that Cornell's tuition is about 8k more than Vandy's--each year. So really this like having 84k at Vandy compared to nada at Cornell.

So what do you want? Cornell is a great school, but not nearly as national as Vandy. If you want NYC, Cornell probably has the edge. But last year, NYC was Vandy's 2nd most popular destination, so it's not an overwhelming advantage. Clerkships-->Vandy; Big Law-->probably a wash, this and last year belonged to Vandy, while previous years belonged to Cornell; student quality, understood by the numbers--->Vandy; location-->well, this is certainly contingent on what you want: wilderness and sawdust pancakes, or a vibrant city with more hangouts than a bagel shop; cost of living-->probably about the same, although I think Nashville's rents are pretty high for being a smaller southern city, but at least you have places to spend money; facilities-->interior goes to Vandy, exterior to Cornell by a mile.

In the end, it might come down to personal fit; or the correct answer is Vandy.

edit: grammar, spelling
Last edited by Rawlsian on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

sdv

Postby sdv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 am

Didn't Vandy best Cornell in NLJ 250 placement last year?

They're both one of the few select schools with national reputations that place well everywhere in the country (I feel like one of the chorus of broken records here, but Vandy DOES NOT JUST PLACE IN THE SOUTH). Degrees from either school will get you into whatever market in the US you could possibly want. I'd venture to say that Vandy has a much higher QOL than Cornell, and I'd imagine many people would say the same (and not just because of the weather), but I guess if you love snow and having nothing to do after 5 pm Cornell could be a great fit.

With money too, though? I see exactly zero reasons to pick Cornell.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 am

I'm going to go ahead and call this one. Vandy by knockout.

/thread

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:03 am

Rawlsian wrote: or a vibrant city with more hangouts than a bagel shop;

Uncalled for anti-Collegetown Bagels trolling.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

KMaine wrote:

+1

As a just-graduated-senior about to move-out of Ithaca for the last time unless I hit a miracle off Cornell's reserve, I resent all the Ithaca bashing.

You can't get this at Vandy:

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Ithaca is Gorges.

TJ, did you have the opportunity to interview after being waitlisted?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:17 pm

JOThompson wrote:Ithaca is Gorges.

TJ, did you have the opportunity to interview after being waitlisted?

No, still on reserve. Sorry. Treating it like a waitlist for so long in my mind must have caused that slip.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
KMaine wrote:

+1

As a just-graduated-senior about to move-out of Ithaca for the last time unless I hit a miracle off Cornell's reserve, I resent all the Ithaca bashing.

You can't get this at Vandy:

Actually, you can. Fall Creek Falls (Pictured below) is only ~90 miles & there are numerous others (even closer) in the same chain of mountains (Appalachian) as you will find in Upstate New York.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”