Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby nookles » Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Here's the situation: I just deposited at School A (didn't have to sign an "I'm withdrawing all acceptances"-type statement; school just has a clear policy against multiple deposits) and am now feeling that, despite having done my research, thought carefully, etc., School B might be a better fit and I should have deposited there instead.

So, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if I could e-mail School A to "withdraw" my deposit and then -- AFTERWARD -- deposit at School B. Is this legit? Could this possibly violate School A's (or B's) multiple deposit policies and even cause either of them to revoke my admission? [And, relatedly, SHOULD I do this? Does everyone get post-deposit jitters?]

Sorry, again, if this all seems absurd. Just freaking out a bit.

Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby NYCbound » Mon May 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I've been doubting my choice ever since i deposited. I think it is the comparison effect - i deposited at a slightly lower ranked school, and even though I know it is a great institution, I can't help but wonder if the other school is marginally better. I'm sure this is a normal concern.

I have no idea about the multiple deposit issue. Could you call and ask anonymously?

User avatar
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby cahesu » Mon May 03, 2010 6:29 pm

I was sort of in the same situation recently. It's scary to actually make the deposit decision, especially if that means closing down other options. I think the best advice here is to rethink why you chose school A in the first place. If, after an honest assessment, you feel better about school B, I don't think there will be a problem with switching. But make sure this isn't a "grass is always greener" scenario. Maybe try telling people you're going to school B instead for a bit and see how it feels? See if you can answer the expected question: why did you switch?

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby nookles » Mon May 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks so much for your responses / "normalizing" my craziness ...

Just to up the ante: School B's deposit deadline is today :) Any other thoughts?

Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby procrastinator » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 pm

If it's a first deposit, it's generally accepted if you withdraw to attend elsewhere. That's why they have a second deposit.

I say do what you truly want to do.

Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Deposited, now having doubts - help?

Postby BenJ » Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes, you can e-mail School A, tell them you're withdrawing, and deposit at School B. You don't need to wait for confirmation from School A. School A's policy is designed to prevent you from holding a spot at their school while you're deciding between schools for an extended period of time. If you make a quick decision to withdraw and deposit elsewhere, they won't hold it against you, and School B certainly won't rescind your acceptance.

Come to NYU! Ditch Columbia :) (Guessing by the dates and hints about school policies on depositing; NYU's deadline is today, and Columbia makes a big stink about multiple deposits.)

Follow-up: Everyone gets post-deposit jitters, too. I chose NYU back in early April, but I've had moments where I was convinced that I should have chosen Columbia over NYU. Sometimes those instincts are right, if they're made for the right reasons (sense of school fit, cost, location, quality of life, etc.), but they can also be wrong.

My jitters about the NYU-Columbia decision came down, I admitted to myself, to depression over never going to an school I could name-drop if I chose NYU. That's not the right reason to choose anything and certainly not the right reason to choose Columbia over NYU. It sounds as if you are making your decision for good reasons (greater information about School A and School B), but make sure that you are confident that this is the case.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, aaron1621, eastring, GOODWORKSTE, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], j431e782, PartyMcFly, PDX4343, rizzlebizness, Tiddlywinks, Yahoo [Bot], zeglo and 10 guests