UNC Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HopefulPatent

New

Re: UNC Waitlist 2013

Post by HopefulPatent » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

OOS
M.S. Chemistry
4 yrs experience in Pharmaceutical industry

I will be staying on the waitlist

loveprofusion2

New

Post by loveprofusion2 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:19 pm

lsat: 160
gpa: 3.95
in-state

waitlisted since march.

pelican

New

Post by pelican » Wed May 05, 2010 9:57 pm

LSAT- 166
GPA - 3.54
In-State
Applied near the deadline
Waitlisted 2 weeks ago

kickthebcket

New

Post by kickthebcket » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 am

lml09 wrote:
let0927 wrote:
lml09 wrote:
trigreg wrote:Does anyone know whether or not UNC is notorious for having quite a large waitlist?

158, 3.6, OSS

Last year 350 people chose to stay on the waitlist. They accepted 23 off of it.

Hey, where did you find those stats? I was looking on their website but no avail.

After I got my waitlist in March I emailed them with a couple questions. One was the stats for last year, the other one was the criteria for getting accepted off the waitlist. According to them, before going to the waitlist they assess their current class and see the porportions of male/ female, white/ minority, age, is/ oos, etc. So here's hoping they have a shortage of white female in staters :D
Wow, looks like an uphill battle for us, but thanks for doing the research. I read on another thread that UNC uses the waitlist for demographics, but didn't think it was entirely true. It seems like they waitlist a huge range of LSAT scores (i.e. 155-167), so maybe they don't place a high premium on those and won't look at them again...probably wishful thinking though. White, male, out-of-state right here!

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 am

NC Resident
non-URM, non-traditional
WL: March 8th

Bueno Suerte!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goose21

New

Post by goose21 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Deposit deadline isn't until mid-June. Any action off this list is unlikely until then.

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

Do most schools waitlist such a wide range of LSAT scores? Or is UNC alone in this?

It seems that most of the WL GPA's are pretty high (except mine). So what is up with the 155-167 range?

I've given up trying to understand UNC's admissions... Anyone want to take a stab?

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 am

Not trying to be overly sarcastic here, god knows I wish I had a little more insight into the admissions process at UNC this cycle, but perhaps we should just take them at their word....

"Admission is competitive and applicants with the strongest records are given priority. Admissions decisions are based on all the information revealed during a careful and thorough consideration of an applicant's entire admissions file. No applicant is granted or denied admission exclusively on the basis of an LSAT score or grade point average. Each applicant's file is individually assessed on the basis of both quantifiable and qualitative criteria."

http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/decis ... fault.aspx

jay63

New

Post by jay63 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 am

Haha, I think I have the lowest GPA of all of the aforementioned.
I applied by the March deadline, wait-listed the 1st of May, and received my forms today.
I'll be staying on.
Out of state
UGA Psychology Major
3.2 GPA
163 LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

liquidsword

New

Post by liquidsword » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 am

In-state, UNC grad
Poli Sci/Urban Planning

amazing softs. sigh.

buckmulligan58

New

Post by buckmulligan58 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 pm

2.9 GPA
168 LSAT
In-state
Doomed

capt.spaulding

New

Post by capt.spaulding » Wed May 12, 2010 10:18 am

Last edited by capt.spaulding on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 am

LSAT: 154
GPA 3.9
OOS
38 Yrs old.
I'm going to wait it out but I just moved to STL to attend SLU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EmilyC.

New

Post by EmilyC. » Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 pm

156 LSAT
4.1 LSAC GPA
Sociology
In-state
White female
Non-traditional

Waiting it out til August 25th.

sierrakat

New

Post by sierrakat » Sun May 16, 2010 10:56 pm

LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.57
University of Oregon Psychology Major

Absolutely nothing special or unique about me at all, so I think at this point I ahve to hope they need more female oos or something. I'm waitlisted for UNC and UGA and I want to do international law, so they'd both be good, I'm just tired of waiting. I've put a deposit somewhere else but would drop in a heartbeat for UNC as it's where I ultimately want to live/be in my life.

I hate waiting!

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Mon May 17, 2010 12:45 am

174 LSAT
2.76 GPA
in state
white male
non traditional

Hoping to hear from them after mid June

destroyer

New

Post by destroyer » Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm

153 LSAT
3.5 GPA
In state

Applied late january, waitlisted early march.

Already sent my deposit to miami, but would reconsider attending miami if UNC comes through

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sc71726

New

Post by sc71726 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 am

Anyone heard anything? As of last week Dean States said that they had not pulled anyone from the wait list yet. Let me know what you know.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

sc71726 wrote:Anyone heard anything? As of last week Dean States said that they had not pulled anyone from the wait list yet. Let me know what you know.

When I talked to them about a month ago they said they were not going to go to their waitlist until early July, I'm guessing that's so they can see what they are working with after the June deposit is due. But who knows :?

Litigious

New

Post by Litigious » Fri May 21, 2010 5:22 pm

In case any of you are board, you can call me a flame or a troll after this post. Nonetheless, it is true and it may make somebody's day.

First -

In defense of UNC. While I realize their methods of handling applications and candidates are not the norm, I think they are better than the norm. I've had three contacts with UNC since I was waitlisted (legitimate reasons) and on all occasions, I was treated with the most consideration and respect of any law school in the country.

The first time I emailed them I received a simple word of encouragement in the response from Jennifer Kott. (Director of Admissions) It was the first act of simple human kindness I'd seen from a law school this entire cycle. A non-automated response that said "I liked what you sent us".

The second time I called and someone picked up the line on the second ring. It was a gentleman that was an admissions counselor who identified himself as "P.J. Gallo". I had a very unique situation regarding an error on my LSAC report that took 5 minutes to explain and he thoughtfully listened to what I had to say and then responded "Litigious, I think you should talk to our dean about this because it could make a positive impact to your file". Instead of giving me the age old lie "we'll get back to you" he gave me the Dean's private phone number and told me when to call to reach the Dean. What other law school in the country would actually care enough to weigh an applicant's concerns, agree their point was valid and then give the decency to help you plead your case to the key decision maker? UNC was again a class act.

The third time I called it was to speak with Dean States directly at the suggestion of admissions. (***Note: I would not suggest calling a dean without following a respectful protocol as I outlined first). The Dean actually was in his office and picked up the phone on the first ring. Not a secretary, an actual dean with an actual phone that receives actual calls. The man was nothing short of a gentleman from the very first second. I took 5 minutes to explain the situation to him at length and again he attentively listened to my legitimate concern/comment. After I said my piece, he provided constructive feedback and then took an additional 5 minutes to explain the waitlist process to me. After he did so, he even asked "Litigious, do you have any other questions I can answer for you today?". Never have I heard of a tier-1 law school dean treating people like...well...people before. So impressed. I'll be impressed even if I'm rejected. So happy I applied to UNC.

Now for an interesting update on how the UNC waitlist works: UNC fills their class based on the idyllic scenario that they have 70% NC residents and 30% non-residents. They desire to have a 50/50 gender distribution across those factors. The waitlist will aim to fill the class with the proper diversity to achieve the aforementioned goals after people turn down initial admission. The factors they do consider in addition to classic diversity issues are the county in which a NC resident is coming from (to have a heterogenous mixture) and also the state a non-resident comes from. The waitlist will be reviewed throughout the summer and it appears there will be some use of the waitlist at UNC this year.

That is what I know after my conversations. I'm just a regular applicant like any of you but I thought the info I received was valuable enough to pass along.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Litigious wrote:In case any of you are board, you can call me a flame or a troll after this post. Nonetheless, it is true and it may make somebody's day.

First -

In defense of UNC. While I realize their methods of handling applications and candidates are not the norm, I think they are better than the norm. I've had three contacts with UNC since I was waitlisted (legitimate reasons) and on all occasions, I was treated with the most consideration and respect of any law school in the country.

The first time I emailed them I received a simple word of encouragement in the response from Jennifer Kott. (Director of Admissions) It was the first act of simple human kindness I'd seen from a law school this entire cycle. A non-automated response that said "I liked what you sent us".

The second time I called and someone picked up the line on the second ring. It was a gentleman that was an admissions counselor who identified himself as "P.J. Gallo". I had a very unique situation regarding an error on my LSAC report that took 5 minutes to explain and he thoughtfully listened to what I had to say and then responded "Litigious, I think you should talk to our dean about this because it could make a positive impact to your file". Instead of giving me the age old lie "we'll get back to you" he gave me the Dean's private phone number and told me when to call to reach the Dean. What other law school in the country would actually care enough to weigh an applicant's concerns, agree their point was valid and then give the decency to help you plead your case to the key decision maker? UNC was again a class act.

The third time I called it was to speak with Dean States directly at the suggestion of admissions. (***Note: I would not suggest calling a dean without following a respectful protocol as I outlined first). The Dean actually was in his office and picked up the phone on the first ring. Not a secretary, an actual dean with an actual phone that receives actual calls. The man was nothing short of a gentleman from the very first second. I took 5 minutes to explain the situation to him at length and again he attentively listened to my legitimate concern/comment. After I said my piece, he provided constructive feedback and then took an additional 5 minutes to explain the waitlist process to me. After he did so, he even asked "Litigious, do you have any other questions I can answer for you today?". Never have I heard of a tier-1 law school dean treating people like...well...people before. So impressed. I'll be impressed even if I'm rejected. So happy I applied to UNC.

Now for an interesting update on how the UNC waitlist works: UNC fills their class based on the idyllic scenario that they have 70% NC residents and 30% non-residents. They desire to have a 50/50 gender distribution across those factors. The waitlist will aim to fill the class with the proper diversity to achieve the aforementioned goals after people turn down initial admission. The factors they do consider in addition to classic diversity issues are the county in which a NC resident is coming from (to have a heterogenous mixture) and also the state a non-resident comes from. The waitlist will be reviewed throughout the summer and it appears there will be some use of the waitlist at UNC this year.

That is what I know after my conversations. I'm just a regular applicant like any of you but I thought the info I received was valuable enough to pass along.
I can't speak to, dispute, or reinforce any of the complaints at UNC's taking a long time to issue decisions. That verdict will come about of its own accord, from this and other threads. I can say that the two or three email correspondences I have had have been with Dean States, directly. He was courteous, responsive, and helpful, and he responded by email when I sent a LOCI and updated resume.

That says nothing more than the fact that I had a positive experience corresponding with the admissions office regarding the waitlist, its process, and other matters. Any other points will be outside the scope of this post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm

According to the UNC 2013 thread someone got off the waitlist today. Hopefully they'll be pulling some more people Monday!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Meh, I know of two other people who got calls today getting off the waitlist.
:( But at least there is some movement!

pelican

New

Post by pelican » Sat May 22, 2010 11:05 am

It is true that there has been wait list movement. I received a call yesterday offering me a spot in the incoming class. I've been geared up to attend a comparable school and just finished paying my second deposit there, so this will take some soul searching. I told the dean I would like to think it over, so he said to get back with him next week. This will be a very tough decision. Does anybody know somebody from the admissions office that they would recommend I speak to further about the school?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:24 pm

pelican wrote:It is true that there has been wait list movement. I received a call yesterday offering me a spot in the incoming class. I've been geared up to attend a comparable school and just finished paying my second deposit there, so this will take some soul searching. I told the dean I would like to think it over, so he said to get back with him next week. This will be a very tough decision. Does anybody know somebody from the admissions office that they would recommend I speak to further about the school?

Congrats to you! :D I've been in contact with Jennifer Kott this entire cycle, but if she can't answer your questions maybe she could give you the emails of the UNC student ambassadors? Good luck deciding!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”