What would you do?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where would you attend?

Cardozo - full ride with top 1/3rd stipulation
3
23%
Washington and Lee $24k/yr
4
31%
Iowa - Instate
5
38%
Retake - you should be able to do better with a 166 and decent GPA
1
8%
 
Total votes: 13

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

What would you do?

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:44 am

Vote! Discuss!

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby doinmybest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 am

Well... how decent was your GPA? What were your geographical preferences? What type of job were you looking for?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 am

Given that W&L scholarship, it was probably better than a 3.5. I would say take the money and go there if you have any interest in the mid-Atlantic. you're looking at 7,000 a year in tuition less than Iowa.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 am

doinmybest wrote:Well... how decent was your GPA? What were your geographical preferences? What type of job were you looking for?


I've got a 3.55. I'm not sure what kind of job I'm after. A shot at big law would be nice, but I think interesting work in public policy or service would also be rewarding. I could also be content with midlaw, if I can pay off my loans with it.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 am

adh07d wrote:Given that W&L scholarship, it was probably better than a 3.5. I would say take the money and go there if you have any interest in the mid-Atlantic. you're looking at 7,000 a year in tuition less than Iowa.


I'm worried that the school is too small. Additionally, tuition increases will reduce the difference in cost (if both increase at 5%, which the scholarship doesn't cover, this will add considerably to the cost of attending Washington and Lee). I would be fine with mid-Atlantic, but would prefer Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
adh07d wrote:Given that W&L scholarship, it was probably better than a 3.5. I would say take the money and go there if you have any interest in the mid-Atlantic. you're looking at 7,000 a year in tuition less than Iowa.


I'm worried that the school is too small. Additionally, tuition increases will reduce the difference in cost (if both increase at 5%, which the scholarship doesn't cover, this will add considerably to the cost of attending Washington and Lee). I would be fine with mid-Atlantic, but would prefer Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.


there you have your decision, have fun at Iowa.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 am

adh07d wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
adh07d wrote:Given that W&L scholarship, it was probably better than a 3.5. I would say take the money and go there if you have any interest in the mid-Atlantic. you're looking at 7,000 a year in tuition less than Iowa.


I'm worried that the school is too small. Additionally, tuition increases will reduce the difference in cost (if both increase at 5%, which the scholarship doesn't cover, this will add considerably to the cost of attending Washington and Lee). I would be fine with mid-Atlantic, but would prefer Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.


there you have your decision, have fun at Iowa.


Am I foolish to ignore Cardozo?

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby doinmybest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 am

Unless you graduate with very good grades, you're looking at being placed in the region the school is in. Make your decision based on the region you're happy in. Be cognizant of how much debt you decide to take on. Only retake if you are sure 166 is below your average expected ability. When I retook, it was because I scored nearly 10 points below my average, so I knew I had nothing to lose.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby doinmybest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:12 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
adh07d wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
adh07d wrote:Given that W&L scholarship, it was probably better than a 3.5. I would say take the money and go there if you have any interest in the mid-Atlantic. you're looking at 7,000 a year in tuition less than Iowa.


I'm worried that the school is too small. Additionally, tuition increases will reduce the difference in cost (if both increase at 5%, which the scholarship doesn't cover, this will add considerably to the cost of attending Washington and Lee). I would be fine with mid-Atlantic, but would prefer Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.


there you have your decision, have fun at Iowa.


Am I foolish to ignore Cardozo?


Top 1/3 stipulation is a little ridiculous. No one can gauge their law school ability until their in law school. Law school is very difficult no matter where you attend.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 am

I was scoring in the 168-175 range. Does anybody have experience with negotiating stipulations on scholarships?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cjsanders2, cocozhang9950, Exabot [Bot], mse2020, smashbash and 8 guests