How many people got into one of their reach schools? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

How many people got into one of their reach schools?

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 pm

I am just curious to see who got into a "reach" school, and if so what you think the largest factor in your acceptance was. GPA, LSAT, PS?

Bert

Bronze

Re: How many people got into one of their reach schools?

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I got into a reach, but not my super reaches. I think my biggest beneficial factor was either PS or addendum.

TheCheerfulPessimist

New

Post by TheCheerfulPessimist » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:43 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I am just curious to see who got into a "reach" school, and if so what you think the largest factor in your acceptance was. GPA, LSAT, PS?
I got into one of my reaches. (About 10-15 ranks higher than other schools I got into.) My GPA was lower than the 25th percentile and my LSAT was just the median. I think an upward trend in grades, very strong soft factors, a personal statement that was well-tailored to that particular school, and some very good recommendations were what gave me the edge.

Currently waitlisted at even higher reaches. We'll see.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:45 pm

I got into one of my reaches. LSAT around the median, GPA at the 25th. Had a note about my personal statement on my acceptance letter.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:53 pm

I got into a few of my reaches. I think my soft factors played a larger role than I thought they would. It seems like the reach schools that did a holistic review accepted or WL'd me, and the ones that didn't rejected or WL'd me, either way half my decisions are WLs haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm

NU, 2.8/176, my lsat.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Also in before a shit ton of posters post TTT schools where they are autoadmits and call them reaches.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 pm

In after splitter posts T14 school where they are autoadmit and calls it a reach.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm

In almost T20 I applied to, should have been out of all TTTs :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bogie

New

Post by Bogie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 pm

I had about a 25% chance of getting into my number one choice (GPA at their median but LSAT a little below their 25th). People may not consider that a reach but I do. Anyways, I think what eventually helped me get off the waiting list was all of the face time I was fortunate enough to get, plus sending in another LOR from a distinguished alumni and writing a LOCI. Basically, I was lucky enough that they looked past my LSAT score to all of my softs.

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:38 pm

I was below the LSAT 25th by a few points but above the GPA 75th (with the help of some CC grades) and I got in so it felt like a reach. I expected a rejection so it felt like winning the lottery! I think it was my PS. I wrote about a unique experience abroad and tailored it to International Law which is the #1 strength of my school.

TrackTony88

Bronze

Post by TrackTony88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

I got into my reach which was also my number one choice.

LSAT below 25%, GPA at 75%, URM, Went to Undergrad at my reach as well. I hope I had a good PS, seems to have done the job. :)

Silence Dogood

New

Post by Silence Dogood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 pm

MY GPA, PS and URM status helped a bunch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KraftEZ

New

Post by KraftEZ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 pm

3.67/152

I was seriously reconsidering retaking the LSATs since I scored lower than my average on practice coming into the test this past September (I averaged 161) and I became almost depressed when I saw my score.

But I applied anyways to see how this cycle would go almost bent on waiting until next year's cycle but lo and behold I got into a reach school and the school I wanted to attend in the first place (L&C).

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 am

So, for the few of you who said you think your 'soft' factors may have played a large role...

who wrote your LORs?

Were they professors... people you volunteered with?

I am curious only because I am getting ready to start applying this fall, and am trying to figure out who would be best to ask. :)

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 am

On that topic, too, how many did you have? LORs I mean?

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am

Got into 4 out of 5 of my reaches, including a T20 and two T50's. I was well below the 25th percentile on the LSAT score and GPA for all of them. I think my personal statement and LOR's helped. I'm a little older than the average applicant so I submitted 3 LOR's from professors and one from an employer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:So, for the few of you who said you think your 'soft' factors may have played a large role...

who wrote your LORs?

I am curious only because I am getting ready to start applying this fall, and am trying to figure out who would be best to ask. :)

Had 3 LORs. All 3 were from profs that I had for at least 2 classes each, both of which I made As in. I doubt my recs played any kind of significant role in my decision.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:So, for the few of you who said you think your 'soft' factors may have played a large role...

who wrote your LORs?

I had a bunch or LORs, but I remember a few specifically

1) Professor from undergrad who I took 5 classes with and TAed for 3 times; knew each other pretty well.
2) Phd. TA from undergrad who I took several classes with and have become and stayed friends with ever since.
3) Grad school research advisor who I have a great relationship with.
4) Director of the bridge program at my undergrad who I also had a strong relationship with.

I was allowed to see (3) and (4), and they were quite strong, but I don't think they were as strong as (1) and (2).

I would guess that my PS and DS played a very large role.

Doing TFA probably helped a little

Coming in with a graduate degree from a T5 ed. school (4.0 w/publication pending) and three years of WE probably helped a bit too.

In sum, softs may have been hard for me. :-)

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm

got into my reach... it was the "Why X" essay and LOR's from bosses (one of whom went to the reach university.) I was hovering around median age, LSAT, GPA with no strong softs and had the app in the first day they could be submitted

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”