Reapply Next Cycle OR Commit to Undesirable Options Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
raskolnikov32

New

Reapply Next Cycle OR Commit to Undesirable Options

Post by raskolnikov32 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

blerg

Bronze

Re: Reapply Next Cycle OR Commit to Undesirable Options

Post by blerg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

If it were me, I'd postpone a year.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

taking a year off sounds like a good course of action to me. Just be sure to study your ass off for the LSAT and shoot for the mid 160's. That should improve your options/scholarships quite a bit.

pamplemousse

New

Post by pamplemousse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

I would reapply next year if you think you could do better on the lsat.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Reapply man. Seriously. I went from around your score to a 169 with your gpa and my options changed drastically. Better to put off law school a year to have a better shot at a great school or, if you're happy with your current choices, get a full ride. One year of study could save you $140,000 in the long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:51 pm

holydonkey wrote:Reapply man. Seriously. I went from around your score to a 169 with your gpa and my options changed drastically. Better to put off law school a year to have a better shot at a great school or, if you're happy with your current choices, get a full ride. One year of study could save you $140,000 in the long run.
+1. Except the 169 part.

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Gotta agree with everyone here. Based on what you said, it sounds like you can up that scores into the 160's pretty easily, and the higher the better. So yeah, take another year, study for the June sitting & make sure to take it a decent test center.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I already took a year off to work, i only took the lsat once and made a horrible score, tried to take again, but was working way too much so had to cancel. Perhaps it would be worth it in the long run if I don't make it to schools i want to take another year off and study again. That would be tough to convince to my parents though...

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm

If you do wait until next year, you should take LSAT studying more seriously. If you don't think you'll really study harder, just go this year. In addition to working and volunteering, if you take a year off, log some volunteer hours and look for opportunities to develop/use your leadership skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. After all of your responses along with my own consideration I do intend to reapply next cycle.

This brings me to my next question: Do I defer enrollment at the schools I got into this cycle or just withdraw and apply again in October? I have some scholarship offers that I wouldn't want to lose BUT I also wouldn't want admissions to get my apps next cycle and not give me as much as they would if they hadn't already made an offer for this cycle.

Thoughts?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:39 pm

raskolnikov32 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. After all of your responses along with my own consideration I do intend to reapply next cycle.

This brings me to my next question: Do I defer enrollment at the schools I got into this cycle or just withdraw and apply again in October? I have some scholarship offers that I wouldn't want to lose BUT I also wouldn't want admissions to get my apps next cycle and not give me as much as they would if they hadn't already made an offer for this cycle.

Thoughts?
If you defer enrollment at a school, you MUST attend that school in a year's time. Since you're going to reapply, you need to withdraw your apps and start over.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:43 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
raskolnikov32 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. After all of your responses along with my own consideration I do intend to reapply next cycle.

Thoughts?
If you defer enrollment at a school, you MUST attend that school in a year's time. Since you're going to reapply, you need to withdraw your apps and start over.
:?: Perhaps I'm wrong, but doesn't this depend on the type of deferral one is given? (ie binding/nonbinding)

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Olive wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Thoughts?
:?: Perhaps I'm wrong, but doesn't this depend on the type of deferral one is given? (ie binding/nonbinding)
It seems as if my next step is just to speak with each school individually about their deferral process. I was hoping to have more knowledge on the subject going in but I can't find anything on their sites or these forums.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm

I think just cracking 160 will drastically change your prospects. You have the good GPA. WIth just a 160-164 you could go from the tier 3 and 4 schools that you're currently accepted too to landing some acceptances at a few top 40 schools and open yourself up to more scholarships.

mcm1211

New

Post by mcm1211 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:24 pm

I think you should plan on re-taking in June and sitting out a year, but pick one of your current acceptances just in case you fail to improve your score.

It would be well worth the $500 or so to hedge your bets and pay the seat deposit at DePaul or Marquette, even though you have no real intention of going there. Then, find a job and retake the LSAT. Chances are you will do much better, withdraw and sit out a year. However, if your score doesn't improve, you still have a decent school to go to. Well worth the cost of a seat deposit IMO

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:31 pm

CardinalRules wrote:

Thoughts?

Totally untrue. I had two non-binding deferrals from last cycle and then re-took and applied to other schools this cycle.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Thoughts?

Totally untrue. I had two non-binding deferrals from last cycle and then re-took and applied to other schools this cycle.
That's what I thought, though I did not realize you could defer at two places. Were you required to notify the schools you deferred at that you would be accepting two deferrals?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”