What you know vs. Who you know

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What you know vs. Who you know

Postby ersh1428 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:28 pm

There's a lot of talk on TLS about how tight the job market has gotten, and how it's gotten so competitive to get a good job even finishing in say, the top third of a T14.

I'm wondering how much everyone thinks personal connections can play a role in these job opportunities. Does someone in that position have the same difficulty getting a job if they are family friends with a partner in a top firm? And if so, how far down can personal connections play a role. Could it mean a hire for an average student at a T30, or an upper level, if not top of the class student at a T2 or T3.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Re: What you know vs. Who you know

Postby sckon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Im pretty sure every profession works with the name over merit principal to a degree

Re: What you know vs. Who you know

Postby No1ustad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 pm

i think an average t30 will be hard-pressed to outperform a upper 1/3 t14 student. i feel like if you're comparing a t20 top 1/3 to a t14 top 1/3, networking can make a difference...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”